Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to remove road tar from paint and wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
How to remove road tar from paint and wheels?

I got what I think is road tar from a newly paved/ tarred road. It got it extensively on the driver side wheels and it sprayed up on to the paint. It does not come off with soap and light scurbbing. I picked at a little portion of it and it has the consistency of dried hot glue, with small peoples lodged in it making it rough to the touch.

What should I use to get it off without damaging the paint on the wheels and the paint on the car itself? I'm sure whatever I use will prob take off wax, but I just don't want to mess up the paint! Any advice? Calling qbmurderer, trushine, or anyone with helpful advice!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
WD-40 is good but diesel fuel is cheaper but doesn't smell very good .... We sold kerosene at my father's service station and used it on tar that was on cars we washed way back before people started referring to what we did as detailing.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Back in the day my grand dad was a big fan of carbontet... , but in this day of EPA I would suggest Avon Skin-so-Soft, if they even make it any more.

To be sure kerosene on a bit of paper towel is the way to go. Rinse well with soap and water.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Kerosene = poor man's quick detailer

The big, trusted detailing shops here use kerosene to remove anything that fits in the "sticky, blobby substance that hardens" category from car paint. Kerosene works wonders for removing cement droplets (i.e. raindrops mixed with cement powder/dust from nearby construction) - trust me, my Jazz has had that misfortune.

If it works for cement droplets, it'll work GREAT for road tar. Use kerosene or QD spray with a claybar to pry off the gunk - on harder spots, a flexible, thin plastic card works well on a panel lubricated with QD spray. But time is not on your side - you have to get it off ASAP or else you risk pitting the paint.

HTH

Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Clay bar and a little bit of diesel (kerosene) then? Just use the diesel like a lubricant? Or should I take a microfiber and dip it in diesel to get off the gunk? Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Kerosene as a solvent. A bit of paper towel dipped in the kero and gently wipe away the dissolving tar. Then rinse well with soap and water. Keep clear of diesel - unless that's all ya got, then treat it the same.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Kerosene as a solvent. A bit of paper towel dipped in the kero and gently wipe away the dissolving tar. Then rinse well with soap and water. Keep clear of diesel - unless that's all ya got, then treat it the same.
They are all petroleum distillates, even the tar. You can use gasoline or naptha which is cigarette lighter fluid.... Whatever you use do, like KC says wash and rinse.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
I have a white car, and I used some stuff called Nu Finish the liquid kind, heres a link of it from amazon, but i buy it from like autozone or advance or whatever:
Amazon.com: Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish: Automotive

it seems like it can get ANYTHING out with the exception of chips...like i remember i used to use so much elbow greese, my parents thought i was stripping the paint.. and STILL couldn't get tar stains off of my front bumper from where my back wheels kicked up the tar to the bumper.... but then i tried some of that Nu Finish Liquid, and it got it off REAL quick, as if i was just rubbing it off.. vs. me using a sponge making noises as if it was stripping the paint.

I don't wax my whole car with it tho, i only use it to take off stubborn stains and tar and grime. I usually wax my car with like Meguires or something.

BTW: that stuff smells strong.. as if your going to lose like 10,000 million brain cells just getting a whiff of it.

Last edited by Vash; 06-13-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I would start with WD-40, then go with this stuff called Goof Off (kinda like Goo Gone but better) and then the Kerosene route. All are good, but some are easier to keep and store