Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
IMO, you are lucky Honda is paying half.

GM wouldn't do that...a friend has a truck with a known propensity to blow out the integrated instrument cluster...his failed after warranty, and they told him "Too Bad".

That's why it's good to subscribe to forums like this even when your car is running well...

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM
My car did not pass the cali smog test because spark plug on cylinder No.2 is misfiring , the mechanic changed the spark plug as well as the coil pack.

It seems most owners experienced this problem's on their 07 Fit.

Too bad my warranty expired already but i''m happy now that it passed the smog test and no more misfiring.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 AM
I had the same issues with stuttering/stalling, etc. Replaced 2nd and 4th coils (per the mechanic), but that didn't solve it long-term. Ultimately replaced the plugs and the other two coils. The stalling has stopped, but I am still dealing with some significant swings in mpg. One tank was as low as 24 and others before the problem arose were as high as 41 mpg. I really thought the coils and plugs would solve the mpg problem, but the last two tanks have only been 30 mpg. Suggestions? I never did a valve adjustment. I was going to do that if the packs/plugs didn't fix the other issues, but they pretty much did. Most of my driving is in town, but I am still a pretty easygoing driver. These seem like pretty big discrepancies.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
@erinm: I never got 40 mpg or anywhere near it. Thirty mpg is my average.

I would recommend a valve adjustment if you have never done one. And you don't have to go by me. Everyone here who has done a valve adjustment before the recommended 100k mi. has reported that the valves were out.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Valve adjustment? Is this user friendly thing to do or dealer/mechanic recommended?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JohnKentucky
Valve adjustment? Is this user friendly thing to do or dealer/mechanic recommended?

The consensus is that it is quite do-able. Make a little space to work in (driveway or garage). Put aside a little time (2-3 hrs.). Make sure you have the tools you need (the correct size spark plug socket, service manual.). You should be fine.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Hi, I'm new to this, so bear with me, please.
My '08 Fit with less than 70k started bucking 30 minutes into a 4 hour road trip. We thought bad gas, put in fuel additive and it was okay for about an hour. We got to our destination with the check engine light on. The car was due for an oil change anyway and, miraculously, this cured it, for a time.
Now it's back to missing at 50 mph or more and the gas mileage is bad!
Thankfully, my Fit has never stalled, yet... 😳
I've seen a lot of talk about coil packs and plugs. One member said they didn't change the pack, but wiped off the orange/black connection when they changed the plugs.
Could this be the answer to the stuttering?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Coco - your troubles most likely relate to bad coil pack(s). Replacing just a single coil pack cured my issue for our 07 which sounds similar to yours. Ideally, you should get someone to plug in a code reader and find out which cylinder is showing a misfire. Then replace that coil pack. It's very simple. You might as well replace the spark plugs too since you're close enough to being due...

Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coco1421
Hi, I'm new to this, so bear with me, please.
My '08 Fit with less than 70k started bucking 30 minutes into a 4 hour road trip. We thought bad gas, put in fuel additive and it was okay for about an hour. We got to our destination with the check engine light on. The car was due for an oil change anyway and, miraculously, this cured it, for a time.
Now it's back to missing at 50 mph or more and the gas mileage is bad!
Thankfully, my Fit has never stalled, yet... ��
I've seen a lot of talk about coil packs and plugs. One member said they didn't change the pack, but wiped off the orange/black connection when they changed the plugs.
Could this be the answer to the stuttering?

Typically, coil paks, like spark plugs have limited life, about 50k miles.
Yes, its expensive but replacing the coli paks and spark plugs are necessary maintenance. If you don't want to do them all 4 at one time, have a adftermarket pasrts store 'read' your coil/plug status and replace them one at a time. Gone are the days when $15 worth of points and plugs would retune your car.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
I second both these guys. My solution to what seems to be the same problem was a new coil pack. Mine was bad enough though that it didn't work at all, so I could narrow it down pretty quickly.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 PM
All stuttering is gone

Thanks guys,
Replaced all 4 coil packs and plugs and the turbo fit runs like new. She has 115000 miles on the original coil packs and spark plugs. All stuttering is gone now. Will post back in a few days with an update. The daughter is happy to have her Fit back on the open road.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Warranty

My 08 fit clocked 75K this week with the missing surging stuttering just becoming noticeable. Should not this be a 100K mile powertrain/engine warranty issue? Last time I was at dealer they wanted to adjust valves for about $200. I guess I better read that warranty closer, cause it doesn't appear that's covered. Oh and they want to inspect my timing chain at 105K miles....UUUUHH 5K after warranty. Maybe I need that sooner, I get a grinding sound to the right of the cabin floor the few times I've rev'd it to 6500 rpm.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 AM
150 mile update.

If you are having this problem change the coil packs and plugs. The fit has about 150 miles on it since I changed the coil and plugs and has been running great. Thanks to all the information posted on here.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
I think this is a fairly common occurence on all vehicles, not just Honda fit. I would say whenever you do your plugs do the coils, but then I read it's $50+ per coil, any idea why? I know on my old ford focus, single coil pack for about $70 it made sense. So, in my experience with other cars stutter == check the coil packs.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Coil pack replacement completely solved problems with my wife's 08 Honda Fit Sport. She took it into a shop first, and they changed all 4 spark plugs, gave the car back to my wife and said the problem was fixed. She drove it home, and it was still acting up just like before with the engine stuttering and everything. My Bluetooth OBD scanner linked up to my android phone showed a misfire on cylinder 2. I ordered 4 brand new coil packs off Amazon, Beck Arnley brand, put them in myself even though I know almost nothing about fixing cars, and it instantly solved the problem. There was never a check engine light before or after any of this.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
^^This is the kind of story I like to hear. Good work, pete.

Barring the possibility that the dealer is dishonest, why would they replace the spark plugs? If they showed you that they were damaged or covered with carbon or something, that would be one thing. But to replace them otherwise? I don't get it.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by pete4www
Coil pack replacement completely solved problems with my wife's 08 Honda Fit Sport. She took it into a shop first, and they changed all 4 spark plugs, gave the car back to my wife and said the problem was fixed. She drove it home, and it was still acting up just like before with the engine stuttering and everything. My Bluetooth OBD scanner linked up to my android phone showed a misfire on cylinder 2. I ordered 4 brand new coil packs off Amazon, Beck Arnley brand, put them in myself even though I know almost nothing about fixing cars, and it instantly solved the problem. There was never a check engine light before or after any of this.
You got ripped off on the spark plugs unless they needed replacement anyway after their 100k lifespan. Even oil fouled spark plugs work just fine, they simply indicate there's a problem that needs attention.

Also, FYI, I replaced a couple coil packs with Beck Arnley and one failed after 150 miles. They are of a different internal design than the stock ones. I remember the stock ones are serviceable/cleanable but the BAs are not. Externally they look identical (and probably from the same factory).

Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
My '08 Sport has 85K miles and runs fine on the original coil packs & plugs. I'm still thinking of getting the Hitachi coil packs from RockAuto (around $52 apiece last I checked), replace the plugs with Denso or NGK, and maybe do a valve adjust, all at the same time.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Will get stock coils next time I guess.

That doesn't sound too reassuring with the Beck Arnley's. If they fail again, then I will just bite the bullet and get stock coils. I will also let everyone know in this forum if they fail early, just to warn people to definitely stay away from that brand. I looked on Amazon.com (where I bought them), and there were at least 6 or 7 five star reviews on them, and they all claim it fixed their problem with their Honda Fit, but maybe they haven't had them long enough to know if they will last. Only time will tell! Hopefully you just got a bad batch or something, or maybe the different design has something to do with it.

Originally Posted by CTCT
You got ripped off on the spark plugs unless they needed replacement anyway after their 100k lifespan. Even oil fouled spark plugs work just fine, they simply indicate there's a problem that needs attention.

Also, FYI, I replaced a couple coil packs with Beck Arnley and one failed after 150 miles. They are of a different internal design than the stock ones. I remember the stock ones are serviceable/cleanable but the BAs are not. Externally they look identical (and probably from the same factory).

Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM
So glad I found this thread! My 2007 FIT (actually bought in 06) started to misfire at 91,000 miles. I figured good excuse to go ahead and get the 90K mile service so I dropped it off at the dealer and told them it was mis-firing. They did the 90K service and said it was ready. I asked what they did to fix the mis-fire and they said there was nothing wrong. I said yes there is, just let it idle for 10 seconds and you will feel it kick. They argued some more and said there was no error codes. I started thinking perhaps the 90K service fixed it and they just didnt test anything until after the service (which I think is stupid by the way). Picked up the car and sure enough it was still mis-firing. I found this thread and the link on how to change the plugs and coils and did it myself in probably less than 1/2 hour. It was actually way easier than I thought. Didnt even have trouble getting the torque wrench on the plugs. It is still early but so far the three drives have all been great. Smooth acceleration all the way to red line in first 3 gears and the only thing I notice at idle now is the coolant fan cycling on and off.

Quick Reply: Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?