Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Christina Diaz
Any luck with this? I read this in a later post as well!
I can confirm that I have had no problem with my 2008 Fit misfiring, studdering going up a hill or engine dying at a stop light after they replaced the 4 coil packs. I also asked Honda about replacing the plugs and adjusting the valves but they said that it is not necessary until ~150K or something like that.

I'm still dealing with what I perceive as bad gas mileage but I really haven't done anything to diagnose that issue yet. A few of the guys had some ideas a few posts back so I might bring it into Honda again to have them look at it during the next oil change.

The 4 coil packs cost me about $630 to get it back to reliability. I was almost at the point of selling the beast and getting a new car.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yokiebear
I can confirm that I have had no problem with my 2008 Fit misfiring, studdering going up a hill or engine dying at a stop light after they replaced the 4 coil packs. I also asked Honda about replacing the plugs and adjusting the valves but they said that it is not necessary until ~150K or something like that.

I'm still dealing with what I perceive as bad gas mileage but I really haven't done anything to diagnose that issue yet. A few of the guys had some ideas a few posts back so I might bring it into Honda again to have them look at it during the next oil change.

The 4 coil packs cost me about $630 to get it back to reliability. I was almost at the point of selling the beast and getting a new car.

Glad the coil packs worked for you.

Bad gas milage might be cured by a valve adjustment.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM
2004 jazz misfiring on acceleration

after 250,000 kms of care free motoring (except for a few rear wheel bearings that Honda eventually admitted liability) my Jazz's engine momentarily cut out on gentle uphill acceleration in 4th or 5th gear. Odd occasions initially, but got steadily worse. Googling possible causes came up with: petrol filter, Air filter, VTEC gearbox, coil packs x 8 @ $200 each.
I changed all 8 plugs NGK 1mm gap (need a short piece of hose pipe that fits over plug end to withdraw plugs from deep recess after unscrewing) Note: also helps to remove old plug before trying to screw in new one) Cleaned and sprayed coil packs with none conducting anti corrosive spray.
Sweet as a nut now.
Regards,
Steve

Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
How'd you do it?

Originally Posted by stevearnimbrown
Cleaned and sprayed coil packs with non conducting anti corrosive spray.
Sweet as a nut now.
Regards,
Steve
What do you mean you sprayed the coil packs? Did you spray internal and external of packs?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
What do you mean you sprayed the coil packs? Did you spray internal and external of packs?

I had the same question.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Jazz / Fit misfire on acceleration

Just cleaned external and sprayed inside open end of coil packs. The type of misfire / stuttering on acceleration that I experienced made me think that
The fault would more likely to be caused by a momentary fuel starvation or electronic ignition misfire because all 4 cylinders misfired together. I reasoned that the failure of one or 2 coil packs would cause only one cylinder to misfire.
But in my case it was obviously either the plugs at fault or dirty coil packs.
Regards,
Steve

Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
After working with this misfiring issue for three years, it finally got so bad I could not drive my 2007 Fit down the highway. Fortunately, 15,000 miles previously, the issue was identified by the dealer who was able to play musical chairs with the coils and identify which was bad. It was under warranty at the time. This time the issue was much worse and the mechanic could not get the problem to recreate, which shocked me, even though the codes showed there were issues with the valves misfiring. I left my car with him until the weather conditions were right and the problem magically reappeared. Apparently cold or extremely humid weather caused the car to misfire and, of course, it was sunny and warm when I got it to the mechanic! Fortunately, the mechanic was able to identify three bad coils - all that had not been replaced by the dealer previously. It has been running great and problem free for the first time since shortly after I bought it. So yes, replacing ALL of the coils fixed my issue along with my horrible gas mileage!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
At about 125,000 miles I started throwing a misfire code and missing REALLY bad. It was almost unbearable to drive. I pulled the coils, found one that was nasty burnt and replaced it but no luck.

I saw when this starts, just replace all 4 along withthe plugs (I had just replaced my plugs at 110,000 miles so it sucked spending money on them again, but I figured may as well if one of them was fubar'd from the bad coils).

It hasn't done it since. But it does have a rough idle when cold so I think a valve lash adjustment is in order to put her back to like new.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully, coil replacement is the answer for most, here.

Last edited by einstein77; 03-12-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ldramjet
So yes, replacing ALL of the coils fixed my issue along with my horrible gas mileage!!!
Keep us posted as you progress in mileage. Hopefully, this will be the fix for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
My GE had a coded misfire on all 4 cylinders after a rough start, but there wasn't any hesitation during driving. I cleared the codes and it hasn't happened since. Been driving about a week with no issues/or codes. I'm at 69k miles. I noticed that the GD's and GE's use the same coil packs. Is it possible that I'm getting the same issues as several of you other GD owners.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Are you sure?

Originally Posted by thefit09
I noticed that the GD's and GE's use the same coil packs.
Are you sure about that? I have a GD and GE and every time I've looked up coil packs for these cars they have different part numbers.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
Are you sure about that? I have a GD and GE and every time I've looked up coil packs for these cars they have different part numbers.
I think you're right after looking into it more. 09 - 11 Fits as well as '11 CRZ it looks like use the same ones.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced coil packs somewhere around 150K after developing a stutter and it cleared right up. Bought them from Rock Auto...Hitachi I think.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Short story:
Replaced all ignition coils, seems, to fix all the problems. Stutter, misfire, RPM variations, engine shut offs.

Long story:
I've had this problem for 3-4 years now? Last year cylinder #2 finally gave out and car went into limp mode. I paid $270 to a shop to get #2 ignition coil replaced. Had no choice, Fit is my only means of transportation.

About two weeks ago, the engine started to get REALLY rough. Like, stuttering low and high RPMs. Engine shut off 3 times while stopped. Sometimes loses good amount of power when press gas padel. So I ordered 3 new ignition coils and OBDLink MX from
Amazon Amazon
(Fortunately the ones I ordered from Amazon is the same coil the shop replaced last year. So they all match.)

Replaced cylinder #1, #3, and #4 last night. So far so good!
You can see the pictures below. Cylinder #3 had really bad discoloration. So I believe it was on its last leg.
My car is 2007 Honda Fit with almost 140K miles now.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
My car does the same when I'm stopped and everytime when I go over a bridge it deaccelartion

Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
What's up with cylinder number 3 anyways? Mine had a nasty coil on the cylinder as well, all other coils looked way better appearance wise. And the spark plug was loose on that cylinder, kinda weird.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Yes, Honda should have taken care of this for free with my car, as I've had problems with this since less than 30K miles. Over 50K more before they finally "figured" it out.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member

I will pull mine coils next month to make sure it does not look like #3 cylinder coil on the picture.
While working on customer's 2001 Tribute V-6 3 spark plugs were tightened correctly, 2 were too tight and one was very loose (however coil looked OK)
Back in 2002 the 91 Camry V-6 had burned spark plug wire boot and spark plug not tightened (the gasket was not compressed)
This is when I am doing plugs on engines requiring intake plenum removal or extended service interval plugs I am always using small torque wrench to be sure!!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J

I will pull mine coils next month to make sure it does not look like #3 cylinder coil on the picture.
While working on customer's 2001 Tribute V-6 3 spark plugs were tightened correctly, 2 were too tight and one was very loose (however coil looked OK)
Back in 2002 the 91 Camry V-6 had burned spark plug wire boot and spark plug not tightened (the gasket was not compressed)
This is when I am doing plugs on engines requiring intake plenum removal or extended service interval plugs I am always using small torque wrench to be sure!!

holly crap was the spark plug for 3 fouled out?

Quick Reply: Has coil replacement fixed anyone's misfire/stutter?