Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Quik question

I want to get a "Bra" for the front of my Fit Sport. I looked into a Clear bra but there out of my price range right now(got quoted at 600$). I was wondering where i can get just a standard black Bra for the front of a Fit Sport? Can i get one from my Honda dealer? All help is appreciated!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
you certanly can get one from the dealer but i would suggest that you find one somewhere else cause it will be much cheaper

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
yes, from your Honda dealer

Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a brand new one for $100 shipped... PM me if interested

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vegasevo9
I have a brand new one for $100 shipped... PM me if interested
honda OEM?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Yes it is OEM

Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
They go for 103 NIB here,,,,
Honda Parts Super Store - Honda Accessories, Honda Parts Authorized Dealer
thanks but no thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
That's what I have and without copy and pasting it all over again here's the post on it I made just the other day. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/106591-post13.html

Oops, that's the post from last December but there is a post I did just the other day here somewhere. Too many reposts of the same questions. Try the search function to find it. Come to think of it I may be thinking of that thread after all but I know I put a lot more info about it in one of the threads.

i tried to contact that seller if they have a pattern for a Fit Sport since i think they were only listing a pattern for the Base Fit. I tried contacting them 3 times and got no replies. I wonder what customer service would be if you got problems with the film. anyway, anybody out there that could point me to an affordable protection film? tnx

Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Their customer service is decent. They would not refund my money until I mailed them back the item they sent me, but I had trashed it already because I couldnt get it to fit properly. They did send me a return label to ship it back.

The clear bra was about 3 inches too short on BOTH sides. I did not use a heatgun or anything though, so it may have been my mistake. I just dont see how it would have fit, but again I am not a clearbra pro installer. You can always give it a shot for $25 and return it if it doesnt fit.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
i contacted them again and this time i used the email they posted on the listing instead of the built in ebay message feature. here's the pattern that they were selling

it looks like it was designed for a Base fit (lip not included). Notice that the grille part also looks like it was the aftermarket sport grille.

i think that 3 inches short on both sides is way off unless the right way to install it is to stretch it.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tr4q3r
i contacted them again and this time i used the email they posted on the listing instead of the built in ebay message feature. here's the pattern that they were selling

it looks like it was designed for a Base fit (lip not included). Notice that the grille part also looks like it was the aftermarket sport grille.

i think that 3 inches short on both sides is way off unless the right way to install it is to stretch it.
Yes it gets stretched during the install but that's the pattern for the base model by looking at it there's no pieces for the fog light trims as well as the sport trim as you pointed out. It looks like they fixed the mirror pieces and the piece that goes around the "H" emblem but it's hard to tell in that pic.

No that's not for the aftermarket grill, it actually fits the bumper right above the "H" emblem below the hood.

I still think they're using a pattern for a Jazz and not the USDM Fit which is why it comes up short.

I don't have their email address in my address book anymore but it was Nicole that I spoke with back when I got mine.

If they don't have the pattern for the sport by now then I guess they don't want our business enough for us to give them our money.

In that case I would suggest just getting some in bulk and having it installed by a tint shop. You can find some films at a decent price here eBay Store - VehicleFilms: Window Tint Film 2 Ply Metal, Window Tint Film 1 Ply but I have no idea as to the quality of their film. I don't see the 3M film on eBay anymore.

Shop around and see what other options there are now.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
I want to get a "Bra" for the front of my Fit Sport. I looked into a Clear bra but there out of my price range right now(got quoted at 600$). I was wondering where i can get just a standard black Bra for the front of a Fit Sport? Can i get one from my Honda dealer? All help is appreciated!
Regarding Clear Film, try this: Xtremecity@aol.com
I got a complete pre-cut kit for the front Sport model for about 50$. My only problem is finding someone competent to install it

Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tricolor
Regarding Clear Film, try this: Xtremecity@aol.com
I got a complete pre-cut kit for the front Sport model for about 50$. My only problem is finding someone competent to install it
That's the one we were just talking about. Have you taken it out and checked the pattern to see if it is actually for the sport model? I hope that it is and that they have fixed the pattern.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned
That's the one we were just talking about. Have you taken it out and checked the pattern to see if it is actually for the sport model? I hope that it is and that they have fixed the pattern.
Oh, crap!
I bought a kit from this same vendor back around last November, along with the installation DVD. The weather was so cool then that I figured that installation would be impossible, and decided to wait until summer. I'll bet that my kit won't fit my Sport Fit.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Oh, crap!
I bought a kit from this same vendor back around last November, along with the installation DVD. The weather was so cool then that I figured that installation would be impossible, and decided to wait until summer. I'll bet that my kit won't fit my Sport Fit.
If it's like mine it wont fit right but the hood and fender pieces fit good. It's just the bumper that comes up short. Start from the middle and heat it up real good. Get ready to do a whole lot of pulling to stretch it as far as you can. Problem is then your fingers dig in and deform it... It's a bit of a challange. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Yes it gets stretched during the install but that's the pattern for the base model by looking at it there's no pieces for the fog light trims as well as the sport trim as you pointed out. It looks like they fixed the mirror pieces and the piece that goes around the "H" emblem but it's hard to tell in that pic.

No that's not for the aftermarket grill, it actually fits the bumper right above the "H" emblem below the hood.

I still think they're using a pattern for a Jazz and not the USDM Fit which is why it comes up short.

I don't have their email address in my address book anymore but it was Nicole that I spoke with back when I got mine.

If they don't have the pattern for the sport by now then I guess they don't want our business enough for us to give them our money.

In that case I would suggest just getting some in bulk and having it installed by a tint shop. You can find some films at a decent price here eBay Store - VehicleFilms: Window Tint Film 2 Ply Metal, Window Tint Film 1 Ply but I have no idea as to the quality of their film. I don't see the 3M film on eBay anymore.

Shop around and see what other options there are now.
since you have first hand experience installing this yourself, i have a few questions for you: does the film shrink or does it stretch when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on it? is it similar to a window tint where there is also a liner that you have to peel off? if there is a liner, is it easy to tell which side to put on the car?

I might plan to buy the uncut version and try to install it myself just out of curiosity. I like these kind of challenges. two people working to stretch it I think is better than heat gun alone.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
The bumper is definitely a two man job if you have to stretch it by pulling. I did the install on my own and I had the front bumper piece somewhat on the bumper and I slowly started lining things up. This is when I realized there was no way I could fit it and I tried trimming areas so it would fit properly. Eventually, I gave up and junked the kit. I spent about 2 hours trying to put the clear bra on there!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned
If it's like mine it wont fit right but the hood and fender pieces fit good. It's just the bumper that comes up short. Start from the middle and heat it up real good. Get ready to do a whole lot of pulling to stretch it as far as you can. Problem is then your fingers dig in and deform it... It's a bit of a challange. Good luck.
Thanks 2hot-
Having installed the Canadian hood deflector, I don't need any more protection there, but it is the bumper where I was hoping that the clear bra would pay off. Oh well, maybe I will find an installer and pay through the nose for professional installation on the bumper. At least I didn't lose much on the eBay purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
The cost on quality film that won't yellow or crack like a Llumar film is about $100. After six hours of labor, you do the math. These kits on ebay, well you can expect issues IF you can put them on the car.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tr4q3r
since you have first hand experience installing this yourself, i have a few questions for you: does the film shrink or does it stretch when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on it? is it similar to a window tint where there is also a liner that you have to peel off? if there is a liner, is it easy to tell which side to put on the car?

I might plan to buy the uncut version and try to install it myself just out of curiosity. I like these kind of challenges. two people working to stretch it I think is better than heat gun alone.
It stretches when you heat it as long as you keep stretching it if you let go it will shrink some. Once it's on it won't shrink anymore.

It's a lot like window tint just a whole lot thicker. Yes there is a backing that you peel off and that is the side that goes against the car. Since you want the plastic film on the car and not the paper backing it's pretty easy to tell which side to put on the car (the plastic film not the paper)...lol.

Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks 2hot-
Having installed the Canadian hood deflector, I don't need any more protection there, but it is the bumper where I was hoping that the clear bra would pay off. Oh well, maybe I will find an installer and pay through the nose for professional installation on the bumper. At least I didn't lose much on the eBay purchase. Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. You bought yours late last year so you may want to take it and see if it looks like it will fit or not.

When I got mine they sent me their pattern and I told them where to make adjustments to it so it would fit right. I don't know if they ever did anything with the info I gave them but if they did it should fit. Only way to find out is for someone to try installing the pattern as it is now.

Mines been on for a year now and in another year or 2 I'll be replacing it. Next time I'll go with the 3M and have it installed on the bumper. I'll do the hood myself with some 8 mil. and I'll do the fenders myself since they are easy.

I may even get a wild hair and buy some 8 mil. in a bulk roll and make something to stretch it from tire to tire and try installing it that way.

I have some ideas of how to do it but it would get lost in the process of trying to explain it but basically wrap the ends around a bar that's mounted to a platform that the tires sit on to keep it tight. Still playing with ideas of ways to do it anyway.

Quick Reply: 3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?