Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Any tips for preventing dings/dents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Update on door dings -- go to Dent Wizard!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the dents from the Home Depot shopping cart are gone. Jason from Dent Wizard fixed them on the spot. Yesterday I took my Storm Silver Sport to him while he was working on used cars for a local dealership. I'd only expected an estimate, but he did repairs on the spot. It was fascinating to watch a skilled paintless dent repair tech in action. Thanks to Jason, Dent Wizard, and for the people on the Forum who provided the info on PDR. Amazing! Jason said that as soon as body molding is available to protect the Fit's wheel wells -- get it! He said PDR can't do anything in that area of the fender once the damage is done. Anyone know whether these are available in N America?

By the way, Home Depot customer service blew me off with a generic "thank you for expressing your concerns" e-mail. The local manager was very sympathetic. Apparently the local HD where the damage occurred is not owned by the company. On top of that, they share the parking lot and the lot is owned by someone else. Danny, the manager, told me that he's been petitioning for a cart return area for several months, but the lot owner won't give the okay. He agreed with me that the parking lot is terrible -- poorly sloped and drained. Carts blow around in the wind and stormwater ponds so badly they can't use many of the parking spaces after it rains. His own truck got badly dented from a cart. Jason, the PDR tech, told me the side of his Ford Ranger was crushed by one of the big flatbed carts. Danny offered to send in an insurance form for me -- I can actually make a claim for damage. Keep in mind if this happens to you, go straight to the manager right away. I failed to do that, so I probably won't get anything out of the insurance co. Since PDR cost $99 and if I'd gone the usual body shop route I'd be looking at approx $800, I won't complain if I get turned down.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation stay away

The only way is to stay away from cars and objects..... so is kind of impossible. I park as far as I can but eventually it wiill happen people sucks!!! People are mean or dumb or both

Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Leave car at home safe in a garage!

But then again that wouldn't be any fun!

Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I park at the end of the parking lot. yeah I have to walk alot further. but eh, good for the heart

Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
My driver's side door got mauled lightly by a car next to me. The clearcoat got crinkled and there are a few spots where the paint is a different (lighter) shade of silver. Sigh.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
did you say dings?

Originally Posted by fad3r
My last car was EBP Civic and it showed dents/door dings like crazy. Now that I have a Storm Silver Fit, I'm going to try my best to prevent dings/dents. What can I do to prevent dings from occuring? I try to not follow dump trucks because pebbles may fly off and chip the paint.

What's the best spot in the parking lot to prevent dings? I try to park as close to the curb as possible.

What tips do you have to protect your car from getting dings, dents, or chipped paint?
Before I had 800 miles on my FIT I was driving to work on the interstate I-85 here in Atlanta area & some large SUV ran over a piece of aluminum on the road that must have been 4 foot long and of course I ran into it. I thought it was going through my windshield but it ONLY hit my bumper and put a 1/4 inch gash in it! Boy was I pissed but it was an unavoidable accident. It could have been worse... and I got over the 'parking in the rear of the parking lot' syndrome after my 2000 Accord Coupe. You know, I parked it and went into a restaurant (the Accord) and when I came out I couldn't seem to find it: guess where? Hidden between TWO dump trucks who had backed into the surrounding parking places: 6 of them... Wish I had my camera!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:24 PM
On my way home from picking up the car at the dealership on RT 78 (PA) some truck went passed me and kicked up a stone into my drivers side - i hear a noise - sure enough - a small scratch in the clear coat right under the handle - Things don't stay perfect for long!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
The compact size of the fit sure helps out a lot. I've been parking as far away as possible, possibly diagonally to the entrance of the store, people usually are willing to park further next to you if it is a straight line to the entrance, but if it is diagonal, it seems like a dread to them, so there is less chance they will park next to you. Another thing is, if you had to park between two cars, park a little closer to the left car over the right. Why? The likelyhood of someone coming through the driver side is 100% vs the likelyhood of someone carrying a passenger. Also, drivers have more things to handle when they're getting into the car, such as getting their purse into their car with one hand, key on the other, shopping bag, or whatever else they choose to carry, so they have only one hand to use and most of the time they will swing that door open as hard as they can get it to stay open for them.

I'm at 600 miles now and luckily, no door dings yet. Although I do have a tiny rock ding on the bottom front body kit. Luckily it's very tiny. I did notice another ding on the crevice near the honda symbol, not noticable at all as well. I'm terrified with what the future holds!

Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by fm2n
The compact size of the fit sure helps out a lot. I've been parking as far away as possible, possibly diagonally to the entrance of the store, people usually are willing to park further next to you if it is a straight line to the entrance, but if it is diagonal, it seems like a dread to them, so there is less chance they will park next to you. Another thing is, if you had to park between two cars, park a little closer to the left car over the right. Why? The likelyhood of someone coming through the driver side is 100% vs the likelyhood of someone carrying a passenger. Also, drivers have more things to handle when they're getting into the car, such as getting their purse into their car with one hand, key on the other, shopping bag, or whatever else they choose to carry, so they have only one hand to use and most of the time they will swing that door open as hard as they can get it to stay open for them.
Dude, you rock. These are awesome tips! Thanks man!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
I've been parking either way at the end of the lot, or in spaces where there is only one car next to mine. Next to pedestrian walkways at work is good for this. And considering almost everyone here has new, expensive cars, I doubt someone walking by is going to key my little economy car out of envy.

Parallel parking on the street in my neighborhood is not that hard, so I haven't tried to squeeze it into tight spots yet. I just find spots that bigger cars can fit into and leave space on either end. Actually, my biggest worry is absent-mindedly ramming my own door into a curb - especially in the morning when I'm groggy. I try to park with the drivers side facing the street if possible. The Fit is nice because you can park pretty far from the curb and still not be sticking into traffic.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 AM
don't lean on your car

Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
I try to find a parking spot that only fits one car (mine). Failing that, I park far away or find a street and parallel park. I never park next to a SUV, truck or anything with 2 doors. I never ever ever park my car in the parking lot of a night club...I always park on the street...too many drunks leave and hit other vehicles when they leave. Also...don't take up two parking spots by parking diagonally...you might as well put up a sign that says "Please key me". Also, don't park near where there's lots of pedestrian traffic. One time I was parked in a parking lot, far away from everyone else...but close to a bus stop. Some lady got off the bus with several bags of groceries and walked past my car. As she did, one of the bags (probably with some canned food in it) hit the side of my car. Left a little dent....

For preventing stone chips on the hood. Leave lots of space between you and the vehicle in front. Also, stay wayyyyyy back from SUV or trucks that don't have mud flaps.