Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Synthetic to conventional

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Synthetic to conventional

I have about 33k on my car. I've been using synthetic since 10k but am thinking about switching back to conventional. Save a little money plus from what i've been reading, it doesn;t appear that synthetic adds any value to the fit.

Will i damage anything if i switch back to conventional? Is it bad for the car?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
It's not bad for the car. I switched back from synthetic to conventional because I figure it costs the same amount of money (since you don't have to change as often) but conventional will get you a new filter more often so by my judgements that will leave me in better shape overall.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
No, you're definitely not going to damage anything by switching back to conventional.

But there's no reason not to use synthetic. The extra cost of the oil is entirely offset by the extra mileage you get out of it. Less time spent on maintenance, and a better oil in your car.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I've put on 7500 miles between changes so far. Oil is still in great shape! Just putting another quart in this week.

If you do switch, just be sure to drain it well.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by uRabbit
I've put on 7500 miles between changes so far. Oil is still in great shape! Just putting another quart in this week.
You have to add oil? I change my oil according to the maintenance minder (about every 7K miles using 5W20 synthetic), and the dipstick still reads full after these miles. Does anybody else have to add oil, just curious.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
I purposely "short-fill" my Fit when doing an oil change. (The level is 1/3 of the way up the dipstick normal range after a change)

Then, about half way through my 10K Oil Change Interval (on Synthetic), I fill it up the rest of the way.

That way the fresh oil will supplement the additives in the original oil. A retired Exxon-Mobil engineer told us that while Synthetic oil is superior to mineral oil and requires less additives, the packages CAN become less effective over time.

That's my way of providing the best protection for my Fit's engine while enjoying the long oil change intervals of synthetic.

PS Our Fit uses very little oil....maybe 1/2 quart over 10K miles.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
It is possible, however unlikely, that by switching oil types you may cause gasket leaks. Convential oils contain different chemicals than synthetics and switching the oil you use after extended driving can cause gaskets to leak. The mileage you described seems like it would not cause a problem, bear in mind though you may start seeing leaks.

If this were to happen you would probably just need to change an oil pan gasket. But to answer your question I would say go ahead and do it, the reason I express concern is I experienced a similar problem switching from conventional to synthetic, albeit with an older car with about 10k more miles.

Drain the old oil out well change the filter and it should be fine.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
go for it,
my 2000 accord v6, has seen it all and does not use any oil or leak any.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd stay with the synthetic, fuel is on it's way back up, and I've gained two mpg since going with Amsoil.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
I've used Full synthetic Mobil 1 in two of my latest cars. They both made it over 185,000 miles with no engine leakage, oil burning, etc. They had no problems passing emissions testing easily. I eventually junked both cars just for the body rot alone. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in both my Honda Fits and will use it until they starting rotting away.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
I used pennzoil conventional oil and fram oil filters in my stock integra LS up to 140k. I did some occasional scca courses and some just-for-fun 1/4 mile runs while I owned the car for about 4 years. This car saw frequent stop-and-go traffic. When I opened the valve cover to do valve adjustment there was no varnish build up and I never had any mechanical problems other than a mysterious O2 sensor problem which most likely was fuel related, not oil. The car was sold and ran perfectly.

I also used mobil1 and mobil1 filters exclusively (after the recommended break in) in my 2003 Echo up until 85k. It was used as a daily commuter seeing a nice mix of city/highway driving. When I opened up my valve cover at 60k just out of curiosity there was no varnish build up other than on the base of the oil cap which was most likely discolored plastic, not varnish. This car never had a single mechanical problem. The seals did not leak at all. It was wrecked when a woman in a SUV decided it was more important to send a text message than to pay attention to the road.

Both cars had oil/filter changes every 5k. I prefer using synthetic because it gives me peace of mind that I can delay oil changes should the need arise. Honestly, both types of oil should serve the average person's needs just fine.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Probably keeping the Fit on synthetic since it's often on sale. It's an extra $20 a year for peace of mind that the oil can take the OLM's intervals.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
You have to add oil? I change my oil according to the maintenance minder (about every 7K miles using 5W20 synthetic), and the dipstick still reads full after these miles. Does anybody else have to add oil, just curious.
Muy interesante... I had to add more as it was at half. Using synthetic 5w20 Mobil 1. Dumped in 3.8 qts at oil change.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
My engine does not like Synthetic, conventional makes it happy its a real pocket saver I guess. But the engine feels and sounds better with conventional oil? Change the oil every single 3k when I say 3k I mean 3K

Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
my engine it's actually the opposite. just did the switchover to synthetic and beyond just the "more go" you typically feel from an oil change, it seems to be running just smoother.

i've also noticed it seems to be idling alot smoother now. or i could be imagining it. we'll see in a couple thousand miles if it's the same thing or not.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
From what I've been told, I could be wrong, is that the oil won't last as long and it won't feel as smooth.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 PM
i have a question for the forum.

my 08 fit sport has 25k miles, the dealer just changed the oil before i purchased it and is currently at 100% life. is it safe to switch to synthetic at this point?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
i used to have a boosted V8 vehicle where i switched from synthetic to conventional all the time. and even different weights. and nothing ever happened... did that for 40k miles or so and then i sold the car.

maybe these motors are the same way? oil is just oil isn't it? they all get dirty and you have to change it.. so why not just use conventional.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I am also a firm believer that your mpg will be better running synthetic

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xshawnxearthx
i have a question for the forum.

my 08 fit sport has 25k miles, the dealer just changed the oil before i purchased it and is currently at 100% life. is it safe to switch to synthetic at this point?
It is safe, but not needed.

Change it over when the MM turns on the WRENCH icon...that's 15% life.

Quick Reply: Synthetic to conventional