Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Synthetic to conventional

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
changing oil type

Originally Posted by Konservative
It is possible, however unlikely, that by switching oil types you may cause gasket leaks. Convential oils contain different chemicals than synthetics and switching the oil you use after extended driving can cause gaskets to leak. The mileage you described seems like it would not cause a problem, bear in mind though you may start seeing leaks.

If this were to happen you would probably just need to change an oil pan gasket. But to answer your question I would say go ahead and do it, the reason I express concern is I experienced a similar problem switching from conventional to synthetic, albeit with an older car with about 10k more miles.

Drain the old oil out well change the filter and it should be fine.
The ole "you will get leaks after using synthetic oil is a very old tale. You will NOT get oil leaks changing back from syn to dino oil. Why that may have been true YEARS ago, prior to the 70's, it is no longer true. Guaranteed...

Now you need to break in a new engine with dino oil at least thru the first oil change or approximately 7000 miles before switching to syn. I even recommend going the first two oil changes on dino fluid to make sure the motor is broken in, then switch to syn.

I now use what ever full syn I can get at the cheapest price. Which was the Walmart generic brand (made by Sunoco) but I now use my local Car Quest auto parts gereric (made by Valvoline). And I don't change it until at least 15-20k miles. BUT, if you do a lot of local driving where the oil see's a lot of short cold cycles and does not get fully heated up much I would recommend going 10k between changes.

And use a high quality filter. Fram is one of the worst filters out there. My local Car Quest auto parts store has a Fram and their brand filter cut open, exposing the internals. It is shocking to see how cheaply the build-up is inside the Fram! Avoid Fram like the plague!

Last edited by rocksnap; 07-25-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Fit's are super easy on oil, you could probably pour Crisco in the engine and it would probably still run for forever and a day, in fact most new hondas could probably use Crisco.

I would recommend using the OEM Honda Oil Filter, my local dealer always tapes the new washers to the filter for free so you remember to use them. I have seen way too many Honda's leaking oil around the drain bolt because someone didn't want to spend $.68 on the washer (or free as my dealer gives them away with the filters). The washers deflect a ton, even with the little amount of torque they require, and they are not reuseable. Plus the OEM Honda filters are very nice. IF you must use anything other than OEM (some people just don't think OEM is the best for their car) use the Napa Gold filters, they are very nice and will probably work as good as OEM.

For oil Honda recommends their OEM 5w20, but they cannot require you to use it (they could only require it if they gave it away for free), which is conventional oil. The Fit would run forever on the conventional stuff. I opted to go with Pennzoil Ultra for the cleaning properties and I prefer synthetic oils as we do all kinds of different types of stop and go, highway, etc. with the car. It also made our Fit quieter and we could better MPG out of it, to the tune of almost 4 miles per gallon.