Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Synthetic to conventional

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
It is safe, but not needed.

Change it over when the MM turns on the WRENCH icon...that's 15% life.

i just wasn't really sure about the synthetic. i know i don't need to change it now, but i just don't want to mess up the engine by changing over with 25k on it.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xshawnxearthx
i just wasn't really sure about the synthetic. i know i don't need to change it now, but i just don't want to mess up the engine by changing over with 25k on it.
You wont.

When I bought my 06 V, the recommendation was to run dino oil for 2 changes (to assure proper break in) then go with Synth.

The conditions are a bit "muddier" now, since most common "synthetics" (Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil1) are now "Group III" synthetics, which means they are actually highly refined mineral oil. They still work like a Group IV Ester or PAO though.

To gain knowledge (and wile away some time) sign up at the BITOG forums. (BobIsTheOilGuy) It will make your head spin!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It's not bad for the car. I switched back from synthetic to conventional because I figure it costs the same amount of money (since you don't have to change as often) but conventional will get you a new filter more often so by my judgements that will leave me in better shape overall.
How are you adding this up? On my Element I ran synthetic oil with changes every 12k and a filter change at 6k. That's $22 for oil and $9 for two filters every 12k miles. Even when I did the filter change every 4k miles that would be a total of $37 every 12k miles. With conventional oil and filters it would be something like $15 for oil and $5 for filter every 5k miles. That's $40 every 10k miles.
The car had 50k miles on it when it was totaled and had 4 oil analyses done with superior results across the board.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I won a 4L can of FK/Massimo Super SS-X 10W-30 mineral oil from a January trackday as a prize.

A few weeks ago I had it replace my abused Royal Purple full-synth oil. Since it was about time to replace the oil anyway (it had seen three trackdays and daily driving), I decided to do this as an experiment.

So far, so good. Haven't taken it to any trackdays yet, but I do stretch the engine's legs a little from time to time and nothing noteworthy has happened. As long as you're aware of the reduced oil change interval for mineral oil, you and your engine should be fine.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'm an old fart who has gone thru numerous autos in the last 50 years. The engines I ran with Full Synthetic (Mobil One) lasted beyond the rest of the car.... over 200k. The cars were always junked even though the engines were running great... just because of repair cost. The engines I ran with petro oil died before the cars did. I junked them with bad engines.... usually around 175k. My preference is to have the good engined car, even though it may rattle going down the street. My suggestion is to run Mobil One.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel and my fit and my jazz and my nsx-r run top notch. i race all 3 of my honda's so its worth the couple dollars more

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GreekHondaJazz
I use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel and my fit and my jazz and my nsx-r run top notch. i race all 3 of my honda's so its worth the couple dollars more
I just el-oh-el'd.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by einstein77
I'm an old fart who has gone thru numerous autos in the last 50 years. The engines I ran with Full Synthetic (Mobil One) lasted beyond the rest of the car.... over 200k. The cars were always junked even though the engines were running great... just because of repair cost. The engines I ran with petro oil died before the cars did. I junked them with bad engines.... usually around 175k. My preference is to have the good engined car, even though it may rattle going down the street. My suggestion is to run Mobil One.

I agree with the above,

I use the following rule for few vehicles I have to take care of

Synthetic - if this is NOT a daily driver or sees lotsa short trips of under 5 miles most of the time. or extremely cold temps.

Dino or anything - if I drive it everyday and see mixed driving, I just make sure I change every 6 months of 5k miles,

Dmax truck - winter 5w40 mobil 1 or any syn oil in winter, and 15w40 in summer.

honda fit/ridgeline - 5w20 syn

I can buy 5 qts of PP or Valvoline Syn for about 18 to 20 $ at wallys, while 5qts of dino costs $13 to $15.

That is $5 difference, use your judgement.

Also, I read at bobistheoilguy, (bill from utah is an example) of users going 200k miles with dino,

my accord v6, 2000, is still going strong at 200k, 0-50k dino, 50-110k M1, 110k to 200k - dino, semisyn... just about anything.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GreekHondaJazz
you know the fit and jazz is almost the same car, right?!

anyways, i do have a question for the engine oil experts: since the fit runs 5w-20, for instance, during one oil change, i put 5w-30, would that hurt the performance/gas milage to the fit? and that's just once, lets say i change it back to 5w-20 when next oil change due, would this move cause a major problem to the fit?!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing will happen if you switch from synthetic to conventional.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigg_kidd

anyways, i do have a question for the engine oil experts: since the fit runs 5w-20, for instance, during one oil change, i put 5w-30, would that hurt the performance/gas milage to the fit? and that's just once, lets say i change it back to 5w-20 when next oil change due, would this move cause a major problem to the fit?!
The hurt is very tiny! You won't cause any problems changing oils. In other countries the Jazz takes 10w/30. I use 0w/20 from amsoil.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit2bking
You won't cause any problems changing oils.

X2...

I run 0w-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, occasionally 5W-30 in our Fit and CR-V (both spec'd for 5W-20 dino in the USA).

what I buy depends on what is on sale...or rebated. These are all synthetic oils BTW...run up to 7 - 10K miles between changes.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
about synthetic, i was once told if i am not driving mad like on the track road circuit or anything, regular ones like conventional oils is fine with our engine, and synthetic might be too fancy for our little engine, [end quote. so i dont know, i started out moible 1 synthetic, for about a year, i am changing it back to conventional recently, so i guess it's to each of their own.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM

There is no hurt. Not to worry. FIT be HAPPY.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
about synthetic, i was once told if i am not driving mad like on the track road circuit or anything, regular ones like conventional oils is fine with our engine, and synthetic might be too fancy for our little engine, [end quote. so i dont know, i started out moible 1 synthetic, for about a year, i am changing it back to conventional recently, so i guess it's to each of their own.
Honda says 5W20 conventional oil is what your FIT requires. Synthetic is not too 'fancy' of an oil - just that they say dino oil is all you need to put in there. You've recently switched back. No problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
phew, thanks for tips man, thought i was hurting the engine more than pampering.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
phew, thanks for tips man, thought i was hurting the engine more than pampering.
Takes more than that to hurt it LOL Pretty much need to slam it into a brick wall.

Good to know, isn't it? Happy motoring.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I just bought an 07 Fit with 60K and my wrench icon just turned on to tell me my oil had 15% life in it. Under the previous owner, the car was maintained by the dealership, but I'm thinking of doing the oil changes myself. I'm a total car maintenance newbie. (1) What oil should I get? (2) Is the "oil life" calculation based on mileage or on some other measure of the actual oil condition? (3) I couldn't find an exact mileage for changing in my owner's manual. If I change at 5,000 or 7,000, do I void my warranty? Not that there's much left on it, of course.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by AnnapolisKen
I just bought an 07 Fit with 60K and my wrench icon just turned on to tell me my oil had 15% life in it. Under the previous owner, the car was maintained by the dealership, but I'm thinking of doing the oil changes myself. I'm a total car maintenance newbie. (1) What oil should I get? (2) Is the "oil life" calculation based on mileage or on some other measure of the actual oil condition? (3) I couldn't find an exact mileage for changing in my owner's manual. If I change at 5,000 or 7,000, do I void my warranty? Not that there's much left on it, of course.
When the MM hits 15% it's time to plan on an oil change. You actually have till 0% and the MM will actually go negative.

1) Honda says 5W20. A good name brand will do along with the filter.

2) MM computes oil change on a variety of inputs. RPM, start-ups, temp and more I'm sure. It determines oil change based on your driving characteristics.

3) You will not find a scheduled mileage for oil change. Here's what the Maintenance Minder is all about: Richfield Bloomington Honda Serving Twin Cities, MN, New, Used Cars - MAINTENANCE MINDER SYSTEM

Follow the MM and you're good to go.
K_C_

Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you for the useful info! --Ken

Quick Reply: Synthetic to conventional