Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Painted Fog Housing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Painted Fog Housing...

I searched and came up with nothing, I was wanting to know if anyone has painted their own fog housing and if they will post up a few pics or some DIY notes for those interested in painting them themselves? or a link to a thread that handles this that I missed, TIA...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it's really easy to do. the hardest part is probably unplugging your factory fog harness. it's kinda tight in there. i think it was just one screw from the center vent area and you just pull out. (someone correct me if im
wrong. its been a while).

once you get the assembly off the car you will remove the surround piece (in your case it is red) and do a quick wipe down with alcohol to remove any wax or oils.

since you're painting over clearcoat you dont necessarily need to sand it, just make
sure it's clean and oil free. i used engine enamel paint matte black from duplicolor.
why? thing is STRONG. no chips even after the harsh winter with salt and crap
flying into my car. just do 3 even coats (dries very fast) and let it dry for couple of
hours (4-5hrs).

then put your assembly back together (dont over torque those screws) and wire
it up to the car.

hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kenchan
it's really easy to do. the hardest part is probably unplugging your factory fog harness. it's kinda tight in there. i think it was just one screw from the center vent area and you just pull out. (someone correct me if im
wrong. its been a while).

once you get the assembly off the car you will remove the surround piece (in your case it is red) and do a quick wipe down with alcohol to remove any wax or oils.

since you're painting over clearcoat you dont necessarily need to sand it, just make
sure it's clean and oil free. i used engine enamel paint matte black from duplicolor.
why? thing is STRONG. no chips even after the harsh winter with salt and crap
flying into my car. just do 3 even coats (dries very fast) and let it dry for couple of
hours (4-5hrs).

then put your assembly back together (dont over torque those screws) and wire
it up to the car.

hope this helps.
x2.... yes just one screw on the side of the housing at the vent. i did a wet sand of very fine grit on the paint, then a few coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter then i used black matte bumper paint from duplicolor

engine enamel paint is a good way to go though

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Awsome, thanks guys