Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Gas pedal adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Gas pedal adjustment

Anybody know how/if the gas pedal can be adjusted? With my seat where it's comfortable, the clutch/brake pedals are fine, but the gas is too close and makes my foot/ankle a bit uncomfortable. I want to lower it by about an 1" or so if possible. Moving the seat isn't an option as I end up too far from the wheel and other pedals to be comfortable. Anyway, just seeing if anyone has any info, thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I noticed the same thing on my test drive. I think it is partly because I am used to reaching forward with my legs and not really down, so there is space above the gas pedal to extend my legs a little more.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
willmax11 stated that he had mod'ed his gas pedal but didn't state how. I posted a request but he never got back with the details.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I saw that too, but he hasn't replied yet in that thread, so I guess we're stuck for the moment. I'm kinda the opposite of DRum -- my xB's seat was more upright and higher and my legs were at a very natural angle to the pedals. Maybe I'll PM willmax11 and see if he replies.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I find it hard to get that gas pedal just right. My problem is I got kinda short legs, so i have the seat kinda far up.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
I got a reply from willmax11, but his problem was different than ours -- he has large feet and the return spring in the pedal is too light, so he always has to feather it which makes his foot hurt. He added some foam behind the pedal to give it some more spring. Guess we'll have to wait to sort this out. I'm tempted to order the repair manual for the Fit, I'm sure it would explain it there. Does any other country have drive-by-wire? I can't open the downloadable manual cause' I'm on a Mac, but I don't think it would have it anyway.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:24 AM
PLEASE NOTE
following is personal experience, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

i have adjusted my gas pedal height by accident when i tighten the throttle cable.
the tighter it goes, the higher the pedel is.
i haven't try loosening the cable, as i find the acceleration response too slow. but tightening the cable gives me a better response in accelerating, and when heel and toe.
over tightening the cable will set the idle too high (over 1500rpm)

from what it seems, over loosening might cause the idle being too low and might stall the car. therefore, again, try at your own risk!

to loosen or tighten the cable is very straight forward.

just loose up the bolt, not the nut, set to what you feel suits you best.

happy DIY-ing

Old 07-12-2006, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UH-0H
PLEASE NOTE
following is personal experience, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

i have adjusted my gas pedal height by accident when i tighten the throttle cable.
the tighter it goes, the higher the pedel is.
i haven't try loosening the cable, as i find the acceleration response too slow. but tightening the cable gives me a better response in accelerating, and when heel and toe.
over tightening the cable will set the idle too high (over 1500rpm)

from what it seems, over loosening might cause the idle being too low and might stall the car. therefore, again, try at your own risk!

to loosen or tighten the cable is very straight forward.

just loose up the bolt, not the nut, set to what you feel suits you best.

happy DIY-ing
Most appreciated for the advice, unfortunately US and Canadian Fits have electronic throttles, so no cable to adjust.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Don't lower the gas pedal . . . .

. . . ., add extenders to the brake (and clutch) pedals.

A much simpler solution.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaded1
. . . ., add extenders to the brake (and clutch) pedals.

A much simpler solution.
um, if you do that nothing changes other than the clutch and brake being closer -- gas is still the same distance.

Actually, it's a moot point anyway as I'm pretty much used to it now and it doesn't bother me for the most part any more.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I think jaded1's point was that using pedal extenders on clutch & break would better align with gas... and then you could shift your seat back to get the right distance. Of course, you noted that shifting the seat back was putting you too far from the wheel so this might not work.

I've got willmax11's problem... I may have to go with his solution and wad up a piece of foam under the pedal.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by htewam
I think jaded1's point was that using pedal extenders on clutch & break would better align with gas... and then you could shift your seat back to get the right distance. Of course, you noted that shifting the seat back was putting you too far from the wheel so this might not work.

I've got willmax11's problem... I may have to go with his solution and wad up a piece of foam under the pedal.
I've got 3500 K's now and have had no problems with the rolled up carpet
underpad. It even may be the reason I get pretty good gas mileage.

I've wanted to have someone else try it out, like Daniel, to see how it
feels to him. He would probably say "It's like pressing on the gas through a mattress. " LOL

No leg cramps and I was looking for the simplest solution to an electric
throttle. (If I took it out I'd probably end up against the hatch door.)

Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
something is definitely not right with the pedal height. I had my rsx pedal cut and rewelded when I had the type R pedal installed. I bet someone could cut the pedal and add a bend that lowers the pedal a bit without changing the throw. More research will have to ensue.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
anyone taken a look at it yet?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Got my Fit back in September and this is the first thing I noticed about it. I started reading this thread hoping to find an answer. I haven't crawled under the dash yet but may do that this weekend to see what is involved. Extenders on the clutch and brake won't work for me since the steering wheel will be too far away. I have tried moving it back some and use the top end of the clutch since it doesn't need to go to the floor to shift but I caught myself letting it out too quickly and ground a few pounds of coffee in the process. Moved the seat back up.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, I just got my fit this past weekend. I was worried with the clutch before I got it, (i am quite petite). Seems to be working fine. However, my heel does not sit on the ground. If I move closer, I can not relase the clutch easily, need to move my whole leg upward with the knee bent. I would really love to hear what you all came up with as a solution to the height (or the angle??) of the pedal.
thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I finally had a chance to crawl under the dash and look at the pedal. It looks like it could be an easy adjustment if it weren't for the fact that Honda must use impact wrenches to put every nut and bolt on. There are two nuts holding the throttle mechanism in place. You could remove the two nuts, place a wedge behind the throttle mechanism and put it back in place. The only problem is how much of a wedge you can put in. The clearance between the back of the pedal and the floor isn't very much which would limit how much performance you can get when you mash it to the floor. I try using just a regulary socket wrench to get the nuts off but I couldn't get enough leverage under the dash. I'm going to try a different position to see if that helps before pulling out the impact wrench. Here are some pics.

http://www.egadgetgeek.net/fit/throttle/DSCN6931.JPG
Throttle mechanism

http://www.egadgetgeek.net/fit/throttle/DSCN6929.JPG
Nut on top of mechanism

http://www.egadgetgeek.net/fit/throttle/DSCN6930.JPG
Nut on right side bottom of mechanism

http://www.egadgetgeek.net/fit/throttle/DSCN6932.JPG
Pedal clearance

Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
doesnt look promising

Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't crawled under the car yet to see if there is anything in the way of where the pedal lands. Maybe if there isn't, a really big hammer could lower the hump under the pedal.