Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fumoto valve available for Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 PM
uh, it opens pointing straight out from the oil pan, not at a right angle. in this picture it pees down and left. it doesn't really matter which way the opener tab points because you have to pull it, then move it. it isn't the kind of thing to just magically slip over for no reason.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

I'm glad to have found this thread and will buy the valve for my own Fit. I bought one of these about 12 years ago under a different brand name and installed it on a lifted Ford Bronco. This comment is aimed at the guys who have wondered "why the hell would I need THAT?". Your oil should be hot when it is changed so that the lower viscosity will allow fast and complete drainage. With my tall Bronco, I got tired of having hot oil run down to my armpit as I unscrewed the stock drain plug to pull it out. With the drain valve in place, just moving the actuator lever to the open locked position was a single motion, the oil fell into the drain pan, not on me, move the lever back to the locked position, and done. No wrenches, no chance of cross threading, no burns from hot oil. The valve is worth twice the price.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I can understand both viewpoints however I use these on my Subaru WRX as well as my wife's recently deceased Mazda 3. Combined I have 95k miles on them with no issues. The valves lock in place, in fact the Mazda 3 was recently totalled resulting in us purchasing a FIT.

The 120lb dog besides destroying the engine sheared the oil pan off as well, but the fumoto valve was in palce and undisturbed when recovered. I removed it from the pan and plan to reinstall it on my FIT when the time comes (both use the F106!).

I would not recommend the N model simply because on some cars the nipple portion hangs down and if your car is lowered that can be an issue.

Keep in mind I change my oil on my WRX quite frequently as it is driven very hard. With the valve, I dont get my hands dirty and can usually finish an oil change at NASCAR pit speed. Its a personal choice I guess...I have several motorcycles not equipped with a fumoto valve and it's no big deal to break out the wrench and change it...I would like to add though that more than a few people have been known to strip out their drain plugs putting them back in, even if using the torque wrench specs which I think is silly. With the valves you dont need to worry about this.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i would be always scared that the "safety" valve would open and i am SOL
For those concerned the safety valve would open accidentally, there is an alternative. I use the Trasko drain valve (d-valve) which eliminates that possibility by having a valve and a threaded cap. TRASKO-USA.com Click on the d-valve button for more information.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsmonet
. . . using this in conjunction with my canton mecca oil filter (cartridge setup) . . .
I was really curious about the canton oil filter system until I saw the price of the replacement filter media.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by sirgolf82
Anyone buy the F106-N? (With nipple, for the ability to add a hose?)

I'm wondering what the orientation of the drain plug is on the Fit, because Fumoto doesn't recommend the N valve on vehicles with low clearance.
i had one of these (nippled valve) on my wrx, which was lower than the fit. no problems at all, i even wrecked the wrx (flew across a curb island) and the valve wasn't touched. i would change the oil at full operating temperature without a problem.

you just stick a hose on it, and put the other end in your oil container, flip the release valve and walk away. come back after eating a sandwich or whatever and change the filter. made it completely painless and clean.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by arsonall
i had one of these (nippled valve) on my wrx, which was lower than the fit. no problems at all, i even wrecked the wrx (flew across a curb island) and the valve wasn't touched. i would change the oil at full operating temperature without a problem.

you just stick a hose on it, and put the other end in your oil container, flip the release valve and walk away. come back after eating a sandwich or whatever and change the filter. made it completely painless and clean.
I have one on my Fit. You don't need the hose.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Fumoto

Sorry if this has beem mentioned already but those valves sure make for easy, no mess, 'correct' oil samples. As Blackstone LAB says the oil sample needs to come from the 'middle' of the flow and not at the start or at the end.I like the advantage of being able to stop and start the flow while putting oil in the sample bottle.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone heard of or used Fram Sure Drain? It's like the Fumoto, but uses a heavy spring loaded valve. I've had one on the Si for several years and love it. It's so much cleaner and convenient. I'm going to get one for the Fit and wanted to confirm the thread pitch and size.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb
Has anyone heard of or used Fram Sure Drain? It's like the Fumoto, but uses a heavy spring loaded valve. I've had one on the Si for several years and love it. It's so much cleaner and convenient. I'm going to get one for the Fit and wanted to confirm the thread pitch and size.
I have the Fumoto valve on my Fit, and used the Fram one on another car. The Fram drain valve drains MUCH more slowly than the Fumoto. The spring and "poppet" of the Fram are in the center of the valve, and act as a flow restrictor. The Fumoto is a "gate" valve, and when it is open, there is nothing in the way to restrict flow. IMO, the Fumoto is a much better product. In addition to better flow, you don't need to screw an additional part into the valve to open it as you do with the Fram.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, ive NEVER changed a crush washer

Old 05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
yeah, ive NEVER changed a crush washer
And you will never screw up the drain plug threads, and never burn yourself with hot oil dripping down your arm, or drop the drain plug into the pan full of hot, dirty oil. And that's in addition to the "fortune" you save by not buying crush washers. How can you stand being so smart Matt?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
man, it's pretty hard being so awesome *puts on stunna shades and drives away in donked out caprice*

Old 05-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
man, it's pretty hard being so awesome *puts on stunna shades and drives away in donked out caprice*
'Scuse me for a minute- (gag, cough, hack). I'm OK now.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
And you will never screw up the drain plug threads, and never burn yourself with hot oil dripping down your arm, or drop the drain plug into the pan full of hot, dirty oil. And that's in addition to the "fortune" you save by not buying crush washers. How can you stand being so smart Matt?
Here's another +1 for the Fumoto - I successfully put the Fumoto on my Fit on Friday. Looks great and the lever part sits above the body of the valve once it's screwed in so there's little chance of the valve or lever getting hit by anything. I liked it so much I wanted one on my minivan.

Last night, I went to do the install on my minivan (first oil change). I pulled the plug letting it drop into the oil bucket and set to work on the oil filter cartridge (not a can). After working on the filter element and o-rings, I checked on the oil draining from engine. OH NO - the oil pan bolt had blocked the drain hole in the oil bucket. Since the top of the bucket only holds about a quart, the remaining 4 quarts rapidly spread all over my garage floor. (this could never happen with the Fumoto - there's no bolt to drop into the bucket) To add insult to injury, I realized after installing the valve that the crush washer was still on the oil pan resting quietly between the valve and the pan. As a result, the valve didn't sit properly on the pan. This morning, I had to drain the oil again into a clean bucket, unscrew the valve, remove the old crush washer, reinstall the valve, and put the oil back into the engine. Then I got some degreaser and cleaned the garage floor.

Now that's all done, the valve looks and works great on both vehicles.

For those wondering how much additional oil came out after I removed the Fumoto - maybe a tablespoon.

Last edited by Rob22315; 07-21-2008 at 07:03 AM.