Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Cilajet

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Cilajet

hey all...

as previously posted, i'm a new Fit driver, well at least i will be in a few hours; i purchased it on Saturday, but had to wait until today to pick it up.

One of the reasons I had to wait cuz the dealer said they had to apply a sealant called Cilajet all over the car. Anyone knows exactly what this is?
I was given a pamphlet that pretty much says its been used on jetliner and has a couple celebrity endorsements.

It sounds pretty cool and is warrantied for 10 years......

Does anybody else have it on any of your vehicles? Benefits? Downfalls?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure wat that is but i use a polymer sealant every 6months and it works just fine... pretty cheap stuff.

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

search paint sealant.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Sounds like a gimmick. I bet money that they didnt put a thing on your car. If anything I bet all they put on was some synthetic sealant that isnt any better than the stuff found at walmart.

They tried to put some crap on my car but I refused. I took my car home with the plastic on it.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Went to the website, Cilajet Paint Sealant-"Immunity from almost Everything!, and it pretty much says what the pamphlet says.....

Then again if Jay Leno uses it....hmmmmm. LOL

Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
If that kind of technology was out don't you think that it would be used by EVERY professional detailer in the world? Especially the ones that charge hundreds and hundreds of dollars? Not by a local Honda dealership... Celebrities will say anything if you give them enough money.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
It is what is and its already on the car....nothing I can do about it now. I guess I'll just take it as is and consider myself got by the dealer.....oh well.....

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM
No big deal, I'm sure they must have put *something* on your car.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
not sure wat that is but i use a polymer sealant every 6months and it works just fine... pretty cheap stuff.

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

search paint sealant.
I've been using that the last couple of years... very happy with the results. I don't have time anymore for the every- three- month wax job.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I had the CilaJet application done to my new 2010 Fit Sport as well. I had both the inside and outside application done. The finish is noticably shinier but time will tell if it was worth the steep price, although considering the extra coverage I don't feel quite so "got" by the dealer. Like the previous post, what's done is done and there IS a noticable difference, inside and out.

The inside application has a very Armor-All'ed look to it on the dash without the greasiness. The cloth of the seats felt a little more "grippy" after the inside application just judging from the feel of the driver's seat immediately after having it applied, but that seems to have been temporary. The cloth doesn't feel any different now.

It rains A LOT in Northern Virginia this time of year and it really does appear to make a difference as the water does not seem to stick like it does without it. I'm sure a good wax job would fair just as well but at least I don't have to deal with doing it every three or four months now.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 AM
100% placebo. If there was some magical sealant that can last that long wouldnt all the professional detailers around the world be using it? Do a search on real automotive detailing forums such as www.autopia.org if you dont want to take my word for it.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
100% placebo. If there was some magical sealant that can last that long wouldnt all the professional detailers around the world be using it? Do a search on real automotive detailing forums such as www.autopia.org if you dont want to take my word for it.
I did some more research today and it appears for the most part you're right although 100% placebo seems a bit extreme I should have read the warranty fine print a little closer. It's pretty restrictive. In my case the dealer is responsible to repair stuff like key scratches and small dents so hopefully I won't have any issues down the road. I paid $695 for the outside cilajet, interior fabric protectant and wheel applications, so at least I didn't get completely hosed. I read some spent over $1400 for just an exterior cilajet application. If it had been that much I would have skipped it. I guess it all comes down to how well it wears and how much hassle repairs will be should the need arise. It's so new I have no experience to report one way or the other.

From what I was able to research (I didn't spent a ton of time I was at work) it's just an extremely hard epoxy but the application is extremely thin. That worries me a bit considering what it cost.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Didnt know about the warranty part, which is pretty cool, but I wouldnt trust my dealership to check my tire pressure, let alone fix a scratch. It is the same as any other sealant, probably resembling zaino since it has a strong long life. I just wish people would do the research before paying that much for something. Just report here whatever experiences you have!