Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Touching up chipped paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Touching up chipped paint

I just got touch-up paint from the dealer and applied it to a few chipped areas, where various rocks, debris, car doors and a kayak had scratched thru the clearcoat and paint.

The result is still very visible. Obviously it needs to be polished up. Any ideas on what I should use to get these touch-ups to blend with the original paint?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've had the same issues. The touch up paint looks crappy and I immediately try to remove it and it still is showing a different looking area than the original paint. I just gave up and I am talking to a local guy who does hood graphics. I am seriously thinking of putting some vinyl on the hood to cover the chips. Just remember not to follow the cars in front of you too closely and I try to avoid the interstate if I can.

Cat :x

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
The best way to apply touch up paint is over a 1 month period. Every week put the thinnest amount of paint over the area. Do this until theres a small "bump" of paint if you will. Wet sand it down till its smooth. Then polish it to remove the scuffs and it will all blend in perfectly. Touch up paint never looks good if you just slap it on.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
yea, its like any paint job, one coat is not going to do it

Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
The best way to apply touch up paint is over a 1 month period. Every week put the thinnest amount of paint over the area. Do this until theres a small "bump" of paint if you will. Wet sand it down till its smooth. Then polish it to remove the scuffs and it will all blend in perfectly. Touch up paint never looks good if you just slap it on.
Thanks qbm. Any recommendations on products to use for wet sanding and polish? Total detailing newb, here.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
some folks use a product called langka with their touchups. it makes the paint blend better to the surrounding paint.

if the paint is hardened i use a 2000grit sanding block and
wetsand it... but you need to be pretty careful.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Kenchan. I'll check out the Langka.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
some folks use a product called langka with their touchups. it makes the paint blend better to the surrounding paint.
Just watched their video. Looks promising. A few more hood chips and I'll be putting in an order!

Meanwhile, if anyone, (Mr.Lucky?) gives it a try, please post the results.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Well, here's the results:

I wet-sanded lightly with 2000-grit paper wrapped around a small block. Was mildly terrified by the abrasions it put into the surrounding clearcoat (even with very light pressure) but soldiered on, until all the touch-ups were even with the original paint.

Then polished with Meguiar's Crystal Polish, but that didn't take out the rough spots I'd created with the sandpaper.

So I clayed, then hit it with some Turtle Scratch Remover I had around. That did the trick. Made another pass with Meguiar's polish, then Meguiar's #26 wax.

The final result: paint touch-ups smooth and not visible from more than a few feet away. However, up close, the touch-ups are still significantly darker colored than the original paint. Perhaps if I had laid on the paint in layers as advised above, it would have looked better, but I had already done the paint work when I made the original post.

Live and learn. I'm sure I'll have lots more chances to fix paint chips.

PS Couldn't find "langka" in my town. Looks like a good product though.