Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Getting superglue off a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Getting superglue off a car?

I tried supergluing ikona's front grille today because 3m tape wasn't sticking. I ended up getting glue dripping all over the front bumper It looks like dogshit and everywhere I looked online is saying to use acetone. But that will take off the paint!!! Another site said to use brake cleaner, which shouldn't mess up the paint. I'm going to try this tomorrow. And the grille still isn't stuck on right. I'm getting fed up with it and I just want it to fit right. I ended up screwing up badly and now my car is ruined! Anybody know of a failproof way to get this krazyglue shit off my car?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
idk for certain...but I think brake parts cleaner will do worse for your paint than acetone.

Acetone won't take your paint off immediately. As long as you wipe it off quickly you should be fine. It's gonna take some work, though. My dad spilled some superglue on the gas tank on his bike and we just worked at it with some nail polish remover and it came off little bit by little bit. Definitely a tedious job, though.

I've also heard of people having it buffed off with a foam cutting pad with a polishing compound? But that's just speculation.

GL!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Try Mr.Clean Magic Eraser

Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
^ really? I guess I could. I'm just really scared to try any of these lol

Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
LMAO!!
dude, i did the same thing. after putting layers upon layers of 3m tape to keep the damn grille down, the layers between the tape started to lift. so i tried superglue to keep the tape together. i used painters tape to hold the grille down while the glue dried - 2 weeks later and it looks like it worked.

i would PM qbmurderer and see what he recommends as far as removing superglue. dude knows his shit, i would be very confident in what he suggests. LMK what he tells you, i think i got a little bit of glue on my bumper too.

FYI, anybody interested in buying the icon grille by iKONA. i chose not to write a DIY and review because it's garbage. i paid extra (like rickygoshdarn, trancedsailor, and a handful of other patrons) to have it prepped, painted, and an assured OEM fit.. but what i've received was a polished turd. if i knew it would've turned out the way it did i would have bought a j's replica and had it filled, prepped properly, with a guaranteed fit, and avoided the 4 month wait for the same price.... live and learn or bitch and moan for a refund? i don't even know what to do anymore

Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
lol you had painters tape on for 2 weeks? I don't know what to do but I wasted $10 on a roll of 3M tape that failed miserably, and now I may have ruined my bumper. I dunno why ikona didn't attach tape or tell us an easy way to put it on. It seems when one side is sticking, the other wants to come undone. I was ready to break it over my knee yesterday I was so pissed off. I will have it all fixed up today though, I hope.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
haha, sorry. my post was misleading. i only had the tape on for 15 minutes, it's been two weeks since i've applied the glue and nothing seems to be lifting up - so far.

i had a body shop take a look at the grille and he said that trimming a bit off of the driver side of the grille should keep it from lifting. it seems that iKONA's mold was off by a bit and that side is preventing the grille from a flush fit. the shop quoted me $80 to trim, repaint, and install. i said screw it and went to target for some superglue instead.

icon grille $220
3m tape $10
super glue $5
shop quote $80

an authentic J's grille costs $200 (used)...... being a cheap bastard and getting ripped a new one in the end for trying to save a few bucks, priceless

Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
yeah I feel you. Buyer beware :/ it would be a sickass grille if it sat right. I'll make it work. The J's grille is ugly to me. How did you apply the glue? I just sprayed a shit ton where it was lifting up, then quickly pressed down on the grille. Somehow it started leaking out, guess I pressed the bottle too hard lol. I'm gonna go outside and try Round 1: Goo Gone. I'll be back to let you know how it went lol

Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
yeah I feel you. Buyer beware :/ it would be a sickass grille if it sat right. I'll make it work. The J's grille is ugly to me. How did you apply the glue? I just sprayed a shit ton where it was lifting up, then quickly pressed down on the grille. Somehow it started leaking out, guess I pressed the bottle too hard lol. I'm gonna go outside and try Round 1: Goo Gone. I'll be back to let you know how it went lol
sweet, keep me posted bro'sef..

i did it the same way you did, i think. the grille was already mounted and i just put a small amount of super glue between the 3m tape where i could fit the tip (a little goes a long way). then i pressed carefully watching for any seepage. then while i had it down i put an ass-load of painters tape where the grille meets the bumper to hold it down - it's easier if someone could hold the grille down while you apply the tape. i came back 15 mins later and carefully removed the painters tape and it stayed down .. good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Goo Gone failed miserably. It looks so horrible and I can't even stand to look at it. Time to look for a new front bumper...

Anyone know of one that doesn't have a grille? Also more importantly, one that has perfect fitment? I like this widebody front bumper:

or this

Yeah the Type M kit looks sick:

I'll just ride around with glue all over my bumper til I save up $1500 for this kit + paint. Screw it. It's just a car. It still runs, that's all that matters I suppose.

Last edited by trancedsailor; 06-10-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this helps but, Zap makes a product called Z-7 Debonder that soften up the glue, so you can wipe it off. There is a possibility that the super glue already damaged some of the clear coat. good luck.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
What about claybar. Will clay possibly get it off?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by im the fit
quick way to remove clearcoat...

Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
What about claybar. Will clay possibly get it off?
probably not.

depending on how much you got on there, i would mask off and
(if it was me) use my 800grit and 2000grit sanding block and wet sand
it off, followed up with polish.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
won't sanding it remove the paint? I'm really not gonna be self-conscious about it. I just won't go to carshows until I get a bodykit and a new paintjob I'm thinking black with green flakes instead of blue. Should have the money by spring :P

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
i love college
those body kits look jdm..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
^ god dammit. I want that Type M kit......ugh I hate USDM bodykits lol

Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
won't sanding it remove the paint? I'm really not gonna be self-conscious about it. I just won't go to carshows until I get a bodykit and a new paintjob I'm thinking black with green flakes instead of blue. Should have the money by spring :P
well, the goal is not to sand the paint, but the ca...

Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by im the fit
I'll second that.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 AM
yep, i would try to color sand it. And the goal of course is to sand down the glue on top of the surface. Try to use some hard sanding block with 1000 wetsand first then finish it off with 2000. If you could avoid sanding down too much clear coat I think you will pull it off. If you were in SoCal i would definately help you out with it. But , Oh well..

Quick Reply: Getting superglue off a car?