Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

modified stock intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
could i get two quick measurements from yall?

1. the length of the pipe that comes off the top of the airbox (the amount of overlap between the airbox and the coupler)

2. the length the coupler overlaps the throttle body

i need these so i can figure out how long the legs on the 90* pipe i have need to be...
THANKS!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
i'm back...

i cut off all the resonators and silencers... since i already filled the main one (just actually cut if off today) i can say that this doesn't make too much of a difference...

HOWEVER... by cutting off the airbox-to-tb box thingy, and replacing it with a 2.5" 90* pipe, i noticed a difference... i don't know about power and whatnot, but throttle response is much improved... sounds meaner too, but that's not what i was after...

once i pick up my dwyer magehelic gauge, i'll see if i'm going to still take air in behind the driver's headlight like stock, or from somewhere else...

but for now... voila:

Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Great! Thanks a lot for sharing! Is noise improved when revving or even when idling? I think I will definitely try it, just have to find a sensible source for the pipe.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
not when idling... but when you put your foot into it it growls a bit more...

throttle response is def improved... my wife (it's her car) even noticed a difference... that's saying something

as for the pipe, just go to your local exhaust guy, and tell him you'd like a tight radius 90* bend from 2.5" tubing... with 8" legs...

it'll be too long, but then you can cut it yourself, and angle the openings correctly...

and i just grabbed one of those $10 hole drill bits and grommet kits all-in-one from pepboys and went to town... i wish i had put the breather line a bit more on the side instead of on the top/side...

Last edited by apexanimal; 05-05-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
thats what i did with mine but cut everyting off mine and smoothed it all out!!

i cut off all the resonators and silencers... since i already filled the main one (just actually cut if off today) i can say that this doesn't make too much of a difference...

HOWEVER... by cutting off the airbox-to-tb box thingy, and replacing it with a 2.5" 90* pipe, i noticed a difference... i don't know about power and whatnot, but throttle response is much improved... sounds meaner too, but that's not what i was after...

once i pick up my dwyer magehelic gauge, i'll see if i'm going to still take air in behind the driver's headlight like stock, or from somewhere else...

but for now... voila:

[/quote]

Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
i have a spare OEM intake box for sale if anyone wants to try this mod while keeping a spare. $40 pick-up, add shipping+paypal if you're not in soCAL.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
also see THIS THREAD to further improve the efficiency of the intake system...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Hello again,
just trying to collect parts for my modded intake. Now, I found a source for the 90° elbow. Questions, questions:
- is aluminum better than silicone?
- have you got a list of parts to connect IAT and the breather line (couldn't find the mentioned grommet kits)?
- did anybody try not to feed the breather line to the elbow? Did the ECU throw any CEL?

TIA,

Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
i would think a silicone elbow would be fine... but i figured the metal would allow for the grommets to be placed more securely...

if you go to pepboys/autozone/etc, look where all that spectre crap is... there should be a small box going for about $9, which includes a hole saw, grommets, and plastic adapters... for the sensor you need a 3/8" i believe...

you can put a small breather filter on the valve cover vent line, but it's best to keep it plumbed into the elbow to allow for the vacuum to help actively help keep the cover in a vacuum as well...

Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
i put my iat in the elbow it wont throw a c.e.l. do to the fact that its only there to mesure air temp.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
With the different modding of the stock intake anyone else notice a drop in power after 4k rpm? I am personally thinking to changing the elbow and I have a spare Apexi filter that I want to mount inside the stock intake box and possibly increase the snorkel to the fender. I am trying to replicate a comptech ice box if possible.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
I say go for it.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69
With the different modding of the stock intake anyone else notice a drop in power after 4k rpm? I am personally thinking to changing the elbow and I have a spare Apexi filter that I want to mount inside the stock intake box and possibly increase the snorkel to the fender. I am trying to replicate a comptech ice box if possible.
i don't notice a drop...

is the apexi filter a stock replacement, or a cone? i can't see a cone making enough difference to make it worthwhile, but a stock replacement is easy enough... most intake restrictions aren't in the filter itself...

i'm going to be increasing the diameter of the snorkel as well... this is a source of some pressure drop in the system, especially at higher rpms... for packaging concerns, i'll probably route it to the lower grille area instead of trying to make it fit the upper sport grille...

Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Since the stock cleaners intake pipe is so restrictive, what do you guys think about adding a 1.5" plastic barb to the bottom of the aircleaner, then attach a hose to it & bring in more cold air.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit2bking
Since the stock cleaners intake pipe is so restrictive, what do you guys think about adding a 1.5" plastic barb to the bottom of the aircleaner, then attach a hose to it & bring in more cold air.
that would work as well... it would have the same effect as replacing the snorkel with a larger one... just be sure you route it to a high pressure area...

Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Stock intake modding

The apexi filter is the cone type. I had it on my Civic. I am trying to modify the stock box to fit it in. I can always enlarge the box since I have some abs plastic that can bond the pieces back together. I figured to get more cooler air why not utilize the hood cowl scoop? I know its only going to be for non rainy day use. With the scoop and a flex pipe to the intake box kinda like the kraftwerks intercooler. Or find a way to route the flex pipe to the stock snorkel behind the fender so cooler air blows to the snorkel and if it rains it will drip down the flex pipe and not making it into the snorkel. But doing all this looks like a CAI would be better? But I think with this mod you raise the low, mid and hi end powerband??? And unlike the CAI you don't lose lo and mid end.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
i personally don't like cai... they do increase throttle response in an "easy" way, but are in a warm, low-pressure area... the ducting i talk about isn't so much for the benefit of colder air, but for the benefit of increasing the pressure throughout the intake system, and increasing throttle response and efficiency...

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
ok so this was the cheapest intake idea ever but when I bought my nsx last year for $2300, it was missing the intake. otherwise the car ran fine. So my brother and I built a complete intake system out of pvc pipe. ran it from the back to the front and put 3 very large universal cone filters on it.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
well this mod it the cheapest due to the fact that you already own the intake box and all you need is to cut up the box and get a 90* elbow for $20 at your nearest convinence store and you will have a betere intake for $20 verses getting a cone type filter but the thing is if you get a cone filter and its a cold air it depends on where you live cause living here in fl all your doing is sucking up the hot hummid air off the ground and have to worry about sucking up water threw your intake! but this works beter then the stock and its cheap!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
FINALLY finished this...

in addition to what i had done above, i added a 2.5" snorkel in place of the very small stock one... throttle response is again improved!

this will also allow me to better directly connect the snorkel to a 2.5" hose going to the high pressure zones on the front of the car should i decide to do so...

pictar!!!