Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Oops...Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Oops...Help Please?

My cruise control "set" button is broken so I decided to take apart my steering wheel and poke around inside. I thought perhaps I would re-solder some connections and take a look at the chip. Well, the two Torx screws on either side of the wheel that hold the airbag on (which covers the side plate with the cruise buttons) just won't budge. They've started to strip. They're not completely stripped out but they are not in healthy shape. Normally in this situation I would just keep trying until they strip and then get my Dremel to cut a slot in them and use a flat-head screwdriver to get them out. The Torx screws are recessed into the wheel a good 1.5" though. Any thoughts on how I should proceed with this little hiccup? Please no wise comments like "take it to the Stealership." I'm not sure I can handle that right now. lol.

A little more background on the initial problem. When I press the On/Off button the "Cruise" light comes on in the dash however when I press the Set button the accompanying light doesn't come on anymore and, as mentioned, the cruise control doesn't work.

Oh hell...I just thought of something. Possibly fuse or relay blown and I'm ripping my stearing wheel apart for nothing? Thoughts?

rc

Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
HID Addict
well, when you want to dismantle the steering wheel, I'd disconnect the power from the battery, dont want the air bag blowing up in your face not sure what else to say, other than this: you didnt mention if you had it on or off whenyou tried it, but for the hell of it, ill say it the cruise control "set" button only works when the cruise control "on/off" is pushed in, this is when you see the light on the dash. thats all ill say and welcome to fitfreak.net

Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robcollins5
My cruise control "set" button is broken so I decided to take apart my steering wheel and poke around inside. I thought perhaps I would re-solder some connections and take a look at the chip. Well, the two Torx screws on either side of the wheel that hold the airbag on (which covers the side plate with the cruise buttons) just won't budge. They've started to strip. They're not completely stripped out but they are not in healthy shape. Normally in this situation I would just keep trying until they strip and then get my Dremel to cut a slot in them and use a flat-head screwdriver to get them out. The Torx screws are recessed into the wheel a good 1.5" though. Any thoughts on how I should proceed with this little hiccup? Please no wise comments like "take it to the Stealership." I'm not sure I can handle that right now. lol.

A little more background on the initial problem. When I press the On/Off button the "Cruise" light comes on in the dash however when I press the Set button the accompanying light doesn't come on anymore and, as mentioned, the cruise control doesn't work.

Oh hell...I just thought of something. Possibly fuse or relay blown and I'm ripping my stearing wheel apart for nothing? Thoughts?

rc
Hm...mine came loose and did not strip. PTL!

I have a cruise control pad from the leather wheel I installed on my 08 base, if you find you need one.

Oh, the torx head screws ARE LocTite'd, and when you reinsert them, use LocTite!

The OEM leather wheel on my 2008 base model!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Rob...I sent a PM to you.