Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

recommend a torque wrench for tire rotations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
just go snap on tools. way better.
I would if I could afford it The other thing is I cant justify spending that kind of money to torque wheels every so often

Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Being as i calibrate torque wrenches and other test equipment i have come across most big names out there. Craftsman torque wrenches are not worth the money. If you have a bit extra cash to spend go with Snap On. I rarely have to adjust them or replace the pall. They are solid wrenches. Also i would stay far far away form Armstrong. They arent that popular with normal mechanics but a lot of businesses and people we support use them and they are garbage. Just my experience and advice, hope it helps.

Also if you want something that works well but is a "tad" less user friendly go with a dial or deflecting beam wrench. They are just as accurate(in the case of dial usually more accurate) than snap action and they don't break or come out of adjustment as much as the snap actions. Also a lot cheaper for the most part unless you go for the +/-2% snap on dials which is just not needed for what you will be doing.

Last edited by Nighthawk_GD3; 03-11-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use snap-on click type for my torque wrenching needs.

it's a reliable unit.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Fa1
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_GD3
Also if you want something that works well but is a "tad" less user friendly go with a dial or deflecting beam wrench. They are just as accurate(in the case of dial usually more accurate) than snap action and they don't break or come out of adjustment as much as the snap actions. Also a lot cheaper for the most part unless you go for the +/-2% snap on dials which is just not needed for what you will be doing.
Everyone has been knocking craftsman torque wrenches but their beam ones are perfectly fine for to torque your wheels. For wheels getting the correct amount of torque on each lug is not as important as getting equal amounts of torque on each lug so the wheel is perfectly flat with the rotor for which my $30 craftsman beam torque wrench is more than enough for the job. I do agree with not using craftsman for anything requiring more accurracy though.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Ah i could have been more specific, honestly never come across a craftsman deflecting beam so my mistake. Honestly any beam wrench should never break or give severely inaccurate readings unless you a) beat the hell out of it or b) the beam becomes bent. But i agree with you Fa1, had i known they had a beam wrench i would have said something about it, but for $30 and knowing your lugs are atleast pretty damn close to what they are suppose to..cant beat the price.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 AM
wooo hoooo got me some tools

Went to Harbor Freight and got a $20 dial 1/2" torque wrench (20-150lbs)... glad someone recommended that desired torque should not be at the end of the useful range as I almost did that.

Got some deep socket nut drivers and did a few tests... I am excited to be able to do tire rotations myself. Now I will have little need to go to the dealership

I will probably use the money I save on premium oil to eek out some more performance. Plus I'll change the cabin and engine filters more often as I see fit (no pun intended)

I feel so empowered