Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Oil Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
finally got it off. i ended up puncturing holes with a nail, then hammering in a screw driver. then using the holes as grip to turn it off. good shit. you could also hammer in a screw driver and use that to twist.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
took my advice i see. sometimes, it just has to be done. another way to do it for future reference is to drill two holes in it so when you put the screwdrivers in the filter, they form an x. makes the filter less prone to ripping when you are twisting it.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Drive a flat-head screwdriver through it at the base (about2 inches from the block) and use the screwdriver as a handle to unscrew it. Or the strap wrench. A trick you can use in the future that has saved my bacon a few times is to take a 3/8 drive ratchet under the car with you when you go to remove the filter. Ratchets are either tighten or loosen, it doesn't matter which end you are looking at or which way the part is facing, or if a butterfly flaps its wings in Hong Kong. When in doubt hold the ratchet up as if it were attached to the filter and pretend you were taking it off with it. It sounds stupid, but when you get confused as to which one is righty and which is lefty it will save you butchering your oil filter. Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
how about twist it the correct way next time? hahaha

Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
In the absence of other tools, drive the longest screwdriver you own straight through the filter and use it to lever the thing loose. Drive it all the way through, in one side and out the other. Warning -- oil will come out of the filter, so this will be messy. EDIT: I see others have recommended the same thing -- gee, I must have only read the first page or something. Eh.

If you are going to go buy a tool, just get a large pair of channel lock pliers. And I do mean large, like these BigAZZ ChannelLocks. You'll find uses for them you never imagined, and you'll wonder how you ever got by without them.

Last edited by wdb; 02-14-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
you know i did twist it the correct way, then i called up a fellow fit freaker and they were the one who told me left loosey from under the car........ but i used a combo if the screw drivers and twisting it by hand cuz the screw driver was ripping the entire filter a huge gash lol.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
also, when you put your new filter on, DONT TORQUE IT DOWN!!!! hand tight only.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Don't feel bad (or weak) because you had difficulty.

The initial oil filter change on ANY Honda I have owned in the past 10 years has been a B*TCH!

They must hire out-of-work Samurais to screw them on, LOL

Glad you finally prevailed!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
this thread is full of win! lol

seriously...figure out your orientation in relation to the filter and turn it counter-clockwise (left) from the block.

no matter which way you look at the car, you turn the filter to the left. just take the 1 minute to think about the way your turning it and im sure you can do it.

also, if its on their really tight (first oil change), get a long screwdriver and stab it all the way though, then use the screwdriver as leverage to remove it.

EDIT: just read the end of the thread. i see its been done. congrats!!!! lol

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I hate Honda Dealerships, hence me beginning to do my own oil now...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
when i changed the oil on my used '01 impreza 2.5RS, the oil filter was way over tightened. and the wrong size (oversized). i had to mangle that thing to get it off. it was unrecognizable when it finally came off.
i have been using K&N oil filters with the nut on the bottom since then.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned
I say again--- buy a strap wrench for about $10.00 (works on ALL filters)and remember to to turn it counterclockwise for removal. With that you won't have oil dripping on your face from punching holes through it with a screwdriver. Use the right tools and you won't need a bunch of well-meaning, but useless advice.

If you are going to do your own work, start with the right tools, or don't start at all.

Last edited by manxman; 02-17-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Well the only issue with your advice, however sound it is, sometimes unseen circumstances do come up. I've had all the tools necessary and sometimes the filters just are warped on or stripped from tools that don't exactly fit on. I use the K&N Filter so I don't run into the problems as everyone else but it does happen.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Well the only issue with your advice, however sound it is, sometimes unseen circumstances do come up. I've had all the tools necessary and sometimes the filters just are warped on or stripped from tools that don't exactly fit on. I use the K&N Filter so I don't run into the problems as everyone else but it does happen.
Just so that you understand completely, a STRAP WRENCH fits any and ALL oil filters.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Just so that you understand completely, a STRAP WRENCH fits any and ALL oil filters.
I have one and not all of them fit all oil filters, I have to wedge something in so it fits the Fit's filter. Mine is the metal type that may be the issue.

Edit: Sorry confused, was referencing the image prior. My apologies.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Antpwny
I have one and not all of them fit all oil filters, I have to wedge something in so it fits the Fit's filter. Mine is the metal type that may be the issue.

Edit: Sorry confused, was referencing the image prior. My apologies.
Then you don't have the right size of strap wrench.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Then you don't have the right size of strap wrench.
Well you did say they fit all sizes But sorry I was referencing the Oil Filter Wrench, anyways I have the cap that Kevin was talking about, I also have the K&N oil filter anyways so I can avoid any issues of sticking anyways.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I used to get away with stuffing a folded rag or old waist belt or whatever in it to make up for the difference.

Get to change her oil tomorrow. Time to see how nice it is not to have to reach around the exhaust to change the filter.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Chicken pliers (what I call really large channel lock pliers) fit any and all oil filters, and a bunch of other stuff too. See link in my earlier post. Before you go buying a special purpose tool, consider a multipurpose tool that is truly useful for multiple purposes.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by wdb
Chicken pliers (what I call really large channel lock pliers) fit any and all oil filters, and a bunch of other stuff too. See link in my earlier post. Before you go buying a special purpose tool, consider a multipurpose tool that is truly useful for multiple purposes.
Like a STRAP WRENCH that is also used by pipe fitters- fits any cylindrical object.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Removal