Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My new switchblade key fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Mission Accomplished. Unfortunately the guy charged me $10 under the table and he/dealership also claimed no liability for mistakes and no reimbursements. Luckily he cut the key successfully.

Miller-Honda Van Nuys is a GO.

Oh and the immobilizer removal was a bitch. I ended up braking the bracket holding it in the original key.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Just an fYI... when taking the key apart.. if the spring gets loose from the 3prong adapter looking thing, u need to super glue it back together. Also when putting the "box" back together, once you align the spring, its good to turn it around one time before closing it.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by Satchel
I did this mod and have been having a bit of trouble with the sensor in the key not activating the ignition correctly. The car starts then immediately dies and the green key icon on the dash flashes.

If I take the key out and flip it over it starts. No rhyme or reason to which side works.

Any ideas? I thought the Honda key (orig) would have a chip to place in the new case. Apparently the chip is in the casing with the buttons for the remote.

I do notice the buttons are a bit further away from the steering column with the new case. Perhaps that's the problem....proximity.

Anyone else? I'd hate to get stuck. It's worked so far, but a bit exasperating in front of the wife. I look like an idiot.

I have the same problem. Same key. For me as long as I have the alarm buttons facing the dashboard it works everytime.

If i have the HOnda logo facing the dashboard its a 50/50 startup (which isnt good because turning the key to start the car multiple times would probably eat away the start motor slowly)

Another problem... when I have the engine on.. and turn off the car but leave the car on power on mode... and try to restart engine from that position.. 50/50 chance it will restart. =/.

Is there anyway to make it work everytime w/o problems? Anyone?
I'm assuming everyone has to be experiencing this problem on these "GiES" keys..

Please advise!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd throw my 2c in here..

I've got my Acura TL switchblade with the RDX faceplate all put together, and the immobilizer transferred.

Except... The dealer is closed until monday, and after looking around I can confirm that normal key-cutting places can't cut the wave keys.

Compounding this, I haven't got a spare key (I lost it ages ago). So, I think I've patented the double-key starting procedure. I hold the Acura key up next to the Honda key, and it STARTS!

At least I know nobody is going to steal my car..

Last edited by explosivpotato; 10-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 AM
anyone knows where i can get a keycut in low mainland BC? thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
So, i just completed this mod as described by the OP.
New fob from Gies via eBay. My car is an 08 Sport. the immobilizer was separate - not integrated into the main board like the other poster here (pg 2 i think).
Markham Acura cut the key (very badly) but then got some tiny little shop down the street to touch it up a bit until it worked.

In short, great mod. nice and cheap. works perfectly (no issues like others say for some reason, i must have just gotten lucky, it starts 100% of the time on both sides).
dont go to markham acura to get it cut though, they just send it to Formula Honda, and Formula clearly has someone on staff cutting keys that has no idea what he's doing.

+rep for the OP.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm still using mine every day with no problems at all. It'll be a year next month.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone have an extra plastic honda sticker that goes on the back of the key fob? I am looking for that as well as the back black plastic portion of the key fob, thanks.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
subscribing

Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I just received my new keyfob last night and went to my local Honda dealership to have it cut. They charged me 10 bucks to cut it and so far it works perfect.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Remove key?

For those that have your key cut, are you removing the key blank from the switchblade beforehand or are you leaving it in? Also, I just ordered a 06/07/08 Ridgeline key that is 46mm in length. Is this the correct one? I did not see where anyone has the measurements listed. Thank you.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by 2010Fit
For those that have your key cut, are you removing the key blank from the switchblade beforehand or are you leaving it in? Also, I just ordered a 06/07/08 Ridgeline key that is 46mm in length. Is this the correct one? I did not see where anyone has the measurements listed. Thank you.
Assuming the key is the same for the 08 Fit then you ordered the right key. Just switch the internals and put the key together and take it in to be cut. Be careful with the imobilizer chip, I used a small piece of double sided 3m tape to hold it in place.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
my keyblade part broke off the stem.. i was a little pissed.. im not sure crazy glue is enough to hold it down for good

Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
bex
5 Year Member
Try JB weld on the key stem, but I think your right, the twisting action alone will more than likely break the key again.

Unlucky bud...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
new key came in today and dealer cut it for $5. perfect replacement. switch took five minutes, including a very (microns worth) slight bit of trimming to the back side to keep the panic button from sticking.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Geesh, I don't know.

Lazer Key Cutting, Incompetent dealers, broken original cases, sticking panic buttons, 3M Tape, Super Glue and even JB Weld. Followed by it only starts 1/2 the time, or when I jiggle it just right or hold it this exact way....

As much as I'd like a switchblade key, I think this thread has convinced me I'm happy with mine just the way it is.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Where are y'all getting the shells from on ebay? GIES no longer sells them, and all I can find otherwise are accord fobs which aren't the same.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Geesh, I don't know.

Lazer Key Cutting, Incompetent dealers, broken original cases, sticking panic buttons, 3M Tape, Super Glue and even JB Weld. Followed by it only starts 1/2 the time, or when I jiggle it just right or hold it this exact way....

As much as I'd like a switchblade key, I think this thread has convinced me I'm happy with mine just the way it is.
Actually it is nice to have one as I tend to hold my key in the same hand I open the door with, etc. The trimming for the button took exactly 4 sec. and it was a hair amount. The quality of the product from the vendor I used is A one - looks like OEM fitment and build. Our keys are milled, not cut. Your dealer should use your VIN to program their machine then mill it out. Again, after the blank was milled you can't tell it from OEM and it works perfectly.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Where are y'all getting the shells from on ebay? GIES no longer sells them, and all I can find otherwise are accord fobs which aren't the same.
favordigital123

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2010Fit
Actually it is nice to have one as I tend to hold my key in the same hand I open the door with, etc. The trimming for the button took exactly 4 sec. and it was a hair amount. The quality of the product from the vendor I used is A one - looks like OEM fitment and build. Our keys are milled, not cut. Your dealer should use your VIN to program their machine then mill it out. Again, after the blank was milled you can't tell it from OEM and it works perfectly.
Oh, when I first read the first few posts it sounded like a great idea. I'd like a switchblade key too...

But it seems like either people order the parts and all the dominos fall okay, inwhich case they are happy and it is an "easy mod" for a neat improvement OR it becomes a nightmare....

I'm afraid I'd end up with super glue, a broken case, a hunt all over the area for a competent place to have the key made...and be cursing myself for even starting the project...I know my weaknesses...

The desire for this seems pretty high. Someone, even Honda should take note. I'm thinking, just from scratch producing a switchblade key fob can't be significantly more expensive to produce than a standard key fob. The days of a big metal key that can scratch your finish should be numbered.

Quick Reply: My new switchblade key fob