Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

water filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
water filter?

The water spots left behind after my car is dry from washing is really becoming annoying, so I started looking for a solution to this problem. Basically it looks like the water from my faucet needs to be filtered/de-ionized. I've read that the Mr. Clean AutoDry system does this, but I was wondering if anybody has any other solutions. Like putting a water filter on my outdoor faucet? Any comments/suggestions would be helpful Also, can anybody recommend a good drying cloth, like from Meguair's or something?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
ions?

Water spots, I believe, are primarily made up of calcium and magnesium ions. These are not going to filter out. Distilling will remove them but in my opinion that's impractical on the scale required to wash your car. Perhaps the Mr. Clean product will help. I don't know never used it. I rely on quickly drying the car and since my color is dark (BBP) that works only marginally on hot sunny days. Good luck with the water spots! They are indeed annoying!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
Water spots, I believe, are primarily made up of calcium and magnesium ions. These are not going to filter out. Distilling will remove them but in my opinion that's impractical on the scale required to wash your car. Perhaps the Mr. Clean product will help. I don't know never used it. I rely on quickly drying the car and since my color is dark (BBP) that works only marginally on hot sunny days. Good luck with the water spots! They are indeed annoying!
Sorry to disagree with you. Water spots are calcium and other minerals, and there ARE filters being sold that remove all elements that cause water spots. The Mr. Clean system is the cheapest- take a look at your Home Depot. They sell all of the Mr. Clean components.

The large canister systems that are sold for outdoor hose connections for this purpose are extremely effective, and they do remove all minerals from hard water. But boy, are they expensive. Replacement filter cartridges can run $100.00 apiece, and they don't last very long before needing replacement. Short effective live span is also the negative of the Mr. Clean cartridges.

The hose type cartridge filters are made and sold by many vendors. Just do a Google search.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
proof

I have no doubt that products claim to remove all impurities. I just want some unbiased proof. I took a fair amount of chemistry in college and was in charge of checking and attempting to correct water quality "issues" several times in my life. Anyway I thought and may well be wrong (my information is old) that short of distilling removing the calcium and magnesium ions in water was fairly complex. If an objective third party (didn't sell the product) provided testing and hopefully their tests were peer reviewed then I'd buy it (perhaps literally). With my BBP paint I'd love a cheap water deionizing system. By the way some people's water is "harder" (more ions) than others. Kansas City's water taken from the Missouri river is very hard.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
I have no doubt that products claim to remove all impurities. I just want some unbiased proof. I took a fair amount of chemistry in college and was in charge of checking and attempting to correct water quality "issues" several times in my life. Anyway I thought and may well be wrong (my information is old) that short of distilling removing the calcium and magnesium ions in water was fairly complex. If an objective third party (didn't sell the product) provided testing and hopefully their tests were peer reviewed then I'd buy it (perhaps literally). With my BBP paint I'd love a cheap water deionizing system. By the way some people's water is "harder" (more ions) than others. Kansas City's water taken from the Missouri river is very hard.
Your proof is waiting for you here on the forums in the dozens of posts backing up the claims of the Mr. Clean Car Wash system. It is also waiting for you at your Home Depot, but because it will cost you $20.00+, you won't try it. I used one for two years on my '07 BOM Sport. It works as advertised. But I would not even attempt to sell you anything or prove anything to you, because your self-admitted stubbornness borders on insanity.

The canister filters that add on to your outside garden hose would work better, and last longer than the tiny Mr. Clean filters simply because they are much larger.

In the meantime, I can't help but laugh at the fact that your '08 BBP often has little white spots all over it, and my '09 BBP does not, even though I have very hard water.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
jeez guys relax!!! I think I'm gonna get the auto-dry system when I'm out of the navy and have access to a water hose again. Thanks, waterspots piss me off.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned
I am pulling feddup's leg. He appears to have nightmares every night about a visit from the "Honda Warranty Death Squad" if he even thinks about using a Non-OEM Honda Toothpick, or even reads about any effective I/H/E mods. Nothing wrong with stock Fits. But needing proof about the effectiveness of filters for removing dissolved minerals? That's very strange. Millions of people use small filters in their homes all the time to remove liquid chemicals like chlorine and solid mineral particles like calcium carbonate and copper oxide.

BTW, tranced, the Mr. Clean filter guns break very easily (and they are cheapest at drugstore.com). If you get one, use it gently when you switch it between the settings of rinse, wash, and filter rinse, and buy half a dozen extra filter cartridges while you are at it. They plug up quickly with, guess what?-- calcium- the stuff that makes water spots. If the filters didn't work, and didn't trap the water spot-making minerals, they would't plug up.

C'mon, dup- wake up.

Last edited by manxman; 01-02-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
wow!

Originally Posted by trancedsailor
jeez guys relax!!! I think I'm gonna get the auto-dry system when I'm out of the navy and have access to a water hose again. Thanks, waterspots piss me off.
Manxman forgot to take his ritalin today, Oh shit so did I!

Old 01-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok thanks I'll probably buy and try the Mr.Clean AutoDry since it's at Target for cheap like $15.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by smartpolak88
Ok thanks I'll probably buy and try the Mr.Clean AutoDry since it's at Target for cheap like $15.
At that price, it's worth a try. Because of consumers like "feddupski" who don't believe that water filters work because of those "pesky calcium ions", I think that this kit is sold with a money back guarantee. You will see from it that filters DO work to retain the minerals that make up water spots.

The larger canister garden hose filters work better and last longer simply because they are much larger. But they are also MUCH more expensive (over $100.00).

The key to the effectiveness of the Mr. Clean system is the car wash soap that is used with it. The soap has a lot of surfactant in it. Surfactants are chemicals that lessen the surface tension of water molecules, making "water wetter". The soap leaves behind a surfactant layer that produces sheeting action on the car's surface, just like the blue surfactant that you add to the reservoir in your dishwasher, preventing water spots on glasses.

The sheeting action prevents large water drops from sticking to the car's paint, and the final rinse with the filtered water has no minerals in it. It dries with no spots.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Mr clean auto dry is crap. Ive had to detail cars with severe water etchings in the clear coat due to people that have used it and havent dried the car because its supposed to 'auto dry'. I use this: CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away although expensive it works amazingly well, especially here in the florida sun.

Another option is to buy some optimum no rinse and wash it in the garage. Optimum no rinse also has water softeners in there so its extremely hard to get water spots even when washing in the sun.

Also a quick wipe down with a quick detailer after drying will ensure all waterspots are removed. Also a car with a proper sealant/wax will be even better at reducing waterspots.

No matter how much they advertise that the car wont need any drying, you should ALWAYS dry the car. It shouldnt take more than 20 minutes with a blower/waffle weave towel. Again when your finished spray some quick detailer and wipe away to remove any remaining water or waterspots and give the car a better shine and some more protection depending on which spray you use.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 01-04-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned
I agree that the car should be dried. People with hard water get spots in warm weather even with drying. I used the Mr. Clean system for two years with no water spots (but with drying after the wash) and with no paint damage. It isn't "crap" if you use the product logically and sensibly. And for people in the snow belt states, forget this product in freezing weather. The fine mist on the filtered rinse cycle will cover your car with ice in temps. below freezing.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Well the customers I was doing were just spraying and walking away so it caused some serious damage. I live in 80 plus degree weather all year round and can wash a car with no waterspots. Of course I put it in he garage asap to dry. And like I mentioned when you finish drying wipe he entire car down with a quick detailer and microfiber towel. It will remove water spots and make the car look even better. I dont disagree with you because the mr clean auto dry WILL help with the waterspots. But no matter what the car should always be dried off. And it should still be washed using the 2 bucket method. Of course water 'etchings' will have to be buffed out.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 01-03-2009 at 11:55 PM.