Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

No Highbeams!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
No Highbeams!

I've gotten stumped on a problem I'm currently having and hoping maybe someone might have either had this problem, or maybe can think of something I haven't yet.

Currently my highbeams do not work.

Here's a list of modification's I've made.

I have re-wired my foglights to work with the ignition on by cutting the wire in the steering column and jumping it to a new circut from the fuse box.

I have disable the DRL by removing the #8 fuse from the underdash fuse box.

I have FX35 Bi-xenon HID retrofits using OEM FX35 igniters, ballasts, and bulbs. The adapter harness for this was made by smeister. I have had these on my car for a good 3 or 4 months now with no problems.

The HID's were the last thing I did, the other things were done within a day or two of purchase.

Here are the steps I've taken so far.

- I have checked all fuses under dash and under hood.
- I have checked the fuse for the power for the HID's
- I have made sure that there is a good connection from the stock harness to the HID adapter harness.
- I have used a test light and determined that there is power with the lowbeams on to the right prong of the OEM headlight harness on the drivers side. There is no power to either of the other prongs with the highbeams on, I know one (I think the middle one?) is the ground so the third prong should be getting power with the highbeams on.
- the relay in the under hood fuse box that has a picture of the headlights clicks when I turn on the low beams and when I turn the highbeams on leading me to believe that it is functioning properly.

From what I can tell, the HID's have nothing to do with this problem there simply is no power to the oem harness prior to going into the HID harness.

Any idea's on what could be causeing this?

My plan of action for tomorow is to plug one of my OEM H4 bulbs into the harness to determin if it will work or not, as well as testing the passenger side of the harness which at current is plugged into nothing for the HID's.

Any idea's or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 AM
how do u put the retrofit?
any problem when installing them?

I have some issue on the plug, that does not match the H4 plug..

Thanks

Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
not understanding your question?

My retrofit was built and wired by smeister, this was actually the ones he had on his car. Everything was plug and play basically. He made an adapter harness for between the HID's and the oem H4 headlight plug.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Gigarange
not understanding your question?

My retrofit was built and wired by smeister, this was actually the ones he had on his car. Everything was plug and play basically. He made an adapter harness for between the HID's and the oem H4 headlight plug.
i think i did not receive the adapter from him

Old 10-24-2008, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
okay FX-35's have a bi-xenon lens. so ur saying ur HID'S work but when u hit the high beam, the motors of the lenses don't work? So it doesn't flash up basically.

Check the fuse for the headlight highbeams. I know that the fusebox has one fuse for low beam and one fuse for the high beams on each side of the car. I'm assuming that with smeisters wiring harness, it uses one of the prongs on the oem harness. So u might wanna start with that.

Edit: i'm SURE it's ur oem harness OR you plugged smeisters harness into the wrong pins on the oem wiring harness. There is one power and 2 ground wires, make sure u hooked it up to the right ground prong.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
Alexfree the harness cost extra, maybe try contacting him to see if he could sell you just the adapter harness?

KoolKevin do you know which fuses those are? Is there only one fusebox under the hood or is there a second one that I missed? I checked the one on the drivers side. Found two fuses labeled for headlights RH and LH and both were fine...

The thing that has me stumped the most is I haven't touched or done anything in almost 3 months. The highbeams w/the HID's were working until about 3 weeks ago. They just suddenly stopped working, nothing else has stopped working, just the highbeams.

Maybe a bad ground wire somewhere along the way? I'm gonna double check the ground wire for keeping the fog lights on when the highbeams are on...never even thought about that.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Gigarange
Alexfree the harness cost extra, maybe try contacting him to see if he could sell you just the adapter harness?

KoolKevin do you know which fuses those are? Is there only one fusebox under the hood or is there a second one that I missed? I checked the one on the drivers side. Found two fuses labeled for headlights RH and LH and both were fine...

The thing that has me stumped the most is I haven't touched or done anything in almost 3 months. The highbeams w/the HID's were working until about 3 weeks ago. They just suddenly stopped working, nothing else has stopped working, just the highbeams.

Maybe a bad ground wire somewhere along the way? I'm gonna double check the ground wire for keeping the fog lights on when the highbeams are on...never even thought about that.
he is out of town
and I have already pay for the whole thing...
i am going to install it again..
maybe i miss something...i will check again

thx