Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

question about Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
question about Amsoil

You know i was seriously considering going to Amsoil when i change my MTF
it has received much praise on many honda forums for its ability to create super smooth shifts,
i was wondering though, that perhaps the smoothness is a result of somehow overworking the syncro's,
and i would not use this product if it had that kind of negative trade off

has anyone heard of anything negative about shorter part life when switching to amsoil, or gm syncromesh, or any of the others?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I can't say anything bad about AMSoil my cuz has it on his 07 Fit, and it really works I felt smoother shifts, and it got a tiny bit more power with their synthetic motor (5W-20) oil as well.

But about over working the syncro's you got me..

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
warranty?

I hate to sound like a negative thinker but just make sure that the fluid fulfills Honda's warranty requirements unless you would like to pay for a new tranny. You should make sure it fulfills their requirements, keep the reciepts and be ready to show it to the Honda rep! In case you're unfamiliar with "classic" Honda issues it would go something like this Transmision, air conditioning and then rust through. Of course there are others but I just want you to make Honda pay for the repair if you can.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
I hate to sound like a negative thinker but just make sure that the fluid fulfills Honda's warranty requirements unless you would like to pay for a new tranny. You should make sure it fulfills their requirements, keep the reciepts and be ready to show it to the Honda rep! In case you're unfamiliar with "classic" Honda issues it would go something like this Transmision, air conditioning and then rust through. Of course there are others but I just want you to make Honda pay for the repair if you can.
Amsoil fluids meet or exceed the specs. of ALL auto manufacturers. Just visit their site for proof. Honda does not hold the car owner to using any brand of lubricants exclusively, as long as the products used match their API formula specs.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Mtf

I've been using Amsoil MTF for 20,000 miles so far. Still shifts great.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
excellent grab

Originally Posted by manxman
Amsoil fluids meet or exceed the specs. of ALL auto manufacturers. Just visit their site for proof. Honda does not hold the car owner to using any brand of lubricants exclusively, as long as the products used match their API formula specs.
Kick ass! I just don't want fitfreaks to be left out on the cold which means holding the receipt for a new tranny with installation. I'm guessing but that might be 2K! I use Honda fluids changed by Honda techs just so I can shove the receipt into the face of the Honda rep. In case you can't detect my skepticism I had some issues with my Toyata MR2's tranny. The toyota rep wanted to see receipts and I showed them to him. They paid!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Didn't tried AMSoil MTF or ATF but their motor oils are kick ass so i guess their MTL must be...

In my 626 V6 Mtx i used Red Line MT-90 and i used Red Line MT-L in one of my numerous Neons and worked great!!

Marko!!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
and it really works I felt smoother shifts, and it got a tiny bit more power with their synthetic motor (5W-20) oil as well.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I recall using Redline MT-90 on my 240 due to the fact that it is an older transmission, I had to use a certain type of MT oil. The reason was that newer MT oils have detergents that are too harsh for the internals of the older transmissions.

For the Honda, I don't see any reason to use anything other than Honda MT oil.
The transmission shifts smoothly as it is. I really don't see any improvement to be made.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I had an AMSOIL rep talk with my friend. That rep said AMSOIL is FULLY Synthetic vs others that claim to be, it's only necessary to have 25% Synthetic and still call it Fully Synthetic. So he was making a point that most synthetic oil is not fully synthetic but AMSOIL is and it will not liquify under extreme conditions.

Just what I heard....

As for the MTF, I don't know lol I'm still waking up.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 AM
You can't go wrong with Amsoil. For protection they are the best.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BlueCell
I had an AMSOIL rep talk with my friend. That rep said AMSOIL is FULLY Synthetic vs others that claim to be, it's only necessary to have 25% Synthetic and still call it Fully Synthetic. So he was making a point that most synthetic oil is not fully synthetic but AMSOIL is and it will not liquify under extreme conditions.

Just what I heard....

As for the MTF, I don't know lol I'm still waking up.
You are trying to help, Blue Cell, but your wording is confusing. Whether you are talking about fluid for manual transmissions, or ATF, they are LIQUID under all conditions, extreme or otherwise. If they stop being liquid, your car won't move and your transmission becomes a boat anchor. Any brand trans fluid, synthetic or conventional.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ignore my post. I didn't read carefully on the topic. The liquidfy part I'm talking about is oil being like water. That's for normal Motor oil.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nabisco
I recall using Redline MT-90 on my 240 due to the fact that it is an older transmission, I had to use a certain type of MT oil. The reason was that newer MT oils have detergents that are too harsh for the internals of the older transmissions.

For the Honda, I don't see any reason to use anything other than Honda MT oil.
The transmission shifts smoothly as it is. I really don't see any improvement to be made.
As a matter of fact it's not detergents that attacks the transmission internals but the Extreme Pressure (EP) additives added into GL-5 oils that tends to attack synchros... Nissan's are notorious to failing transmissions due to using wrong oils... better to use GL-4 gear oils in a tranny and GL-5 in a Diff!! The EP's will help to protect the gears in a Diff but will mess the synchro rings!!

Marko!!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Greetings! My first post. I'm a new Fit owner and an Amsoil dealer. I find this quite ironic. I used to own older Saabs, also with transaxles & syncros. All the owners of old Saabs are raving about the Honda MTF lubricant. After Amsoil developed the 5w30MTF , I used it in my Saab, and got great results, smooth shifts, no "notchiness" on cold winter days. Amsoil developed this oil specifically for the huge Honda market. The additive package does not attack the bronze syncro rings. The Industrial market has had this problem for years, where EP additives ate away at bronze worm gears, used in industrial gearboxes in millions of applications. When most of the gear manufacturers switched to synthetic, they goosed up the HP limitations, and the boxes ran cooler.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Amsoil rocks!

Amsoil is the only lubricant I use in my vehicles. I've tried a lot of brands for motor oils(Mobile 1,Royal Purple,Pennsoil synthetic,Redline) and Amsoil beats them all in protection and longevity! For the MTF I use it in my TL. The TL is notorius for third gear notchiness. It would have a hard time shifting into 3rd gear. I experienced this myself. A lot of TL guys use the General Motors (yeah the American car company) synchromesh fluid and they say it worked for them. I tried the GM stuff and it did not solve the problem for me. The GM stuff was the "go to" product at the time. I then was happy to know that Amsoil came out with their MTF and I tried it. I replaced the GM synchromesh with Amsoil MTF and Amsoil solved the problem. Amsoil is awesome fluid and I'd recommend their products. You can check out their site and see the tests they've done against many other brands. The other brands they tested don't come close to Amsoil.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned
Watch it guys. There is another ff.net member who sees any positive comment about Amsoil products as SPAM. I won't use his real user name, but I call him "Little Robbie 2- 1/2". Most intelligent people will sign up to be dealers instead of paying retail prices for Amsoil products, and wind up buying at wholesale. Robbie then attacks all of us as posting ads for our own businesses, when we simply post true information about their high quality.

Yes, Robbie, I am an Amsoil "dealer", and no Robbie, I do not sell Amsoil on ff.net. I just post the truth. The same is true, about the products, for the previous two posters.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I am a dealer also. I don't push the product, and I usually just get it for people at cost. Oil opinions are too strong to change. Amsoil's marketing system is a joke, and has let their competitors rocket past them in sales. Look how good Royal Purple is doing, and they are a relative new comer. Since Amsoil started their preferred customer program, you don't even have to be a dealer to buy at dealer cost, just costs a membership fee, Like Costco or Sam's Club. You either use it or you don't. It's good stuff, so is a lot of other's products too, but it's marketing makes the price too high.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 PM
AMSoil makes good products... Another company that makes a freaking good oil is Motul!! All good stuff!!! Total apparently seems to be good too...

Marko!!