Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Alex, any luck with the car? Kevin told me he used chevron brand injector cleaner and it helped get rid of some of the hesitation. There's still some slight hesitation to his car, but if it helps, maybe it would also help with your car. I'm gonna try it this week and see if it will get rid of the hiccup.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone tried contact Honda directly about this?

I know my shop said they called into the mothership and got ideas on what to look at (none of which worked). Maybe I'll put together an email with links to this and the other post about this issue and see what Honda says.

John

(edit - just looked and there does not appear to be a customer service email addy. I'll have to resort to snail mail)

Last edited by Jisch; 01-25-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jisch
Has anyone tried contact Honda directly about this?

I know my shop said they called into the mothership and got ideas on what to look at (none of which worked). Maybe I'll put together an email with links to this and the other post about this issue and see what Honda says.

John

(edit - just looked and there does not appear to be a customer service email addy. I'll have to resort to snail mail)

Our chief engine guru offers another possibility: carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. That can cause the equivalent of pre-ignition that easily appears as a skip or bump. And that one isn't as easily fixed as it requires removing the cylinder head.
Out of curiosity along that line would those who are having the problem tell us whose gasoline they are using. Perhaps the problem is a few suppliers. (which may be the ones most prone to carbonization. Years ago Sunioco 260 was well known for producing excessive carbon deposits)

Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
I get gas at completely random places, Gulf, Sunoco, ExxonMobil etc. I haven't noticed a difference between brands, however the problem is such that it would take some serious note taking to create a cause and effect relationship. I'll try to pay closer attention, but it could be anyone of three people putting gas in the car so, it's hard to keep track.

John

Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 AM
So John (Jisch), you haven't fixed your car yet? Is it still doing the "stutter" and did it worsen from when you noticed it?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Personally I've never experienced this issue, the only thing I experience close to a stutter is when I'm WOT in third gear in sport mode anything past the HP peak @ 5800RPM it doesn't accelerate as fast but if I'm racing someone on the highway as usual I usually crank it out right before tach limit to get further in on 4TH.

I got a ticket for 95 in a 65 yesterday, the first thing he told me was that I was really going 114 but the cop said I was a nice guy and he didn't want to arrest me!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Personally I've never experienced this issue, the only thing I experience close to a stutter is when I'm WOT in third gear in sport mode anything past the HP peak @ 5800RPM it doesn't accelerate as fast but if I'm racing someone on the highway as usual I usually crank it out right before tach limit to get further in on 4TH.

I got a ticket for 95 in a 65 yesterday, the first thing he told me was that I was really going 114 but the cop said I was a nice guy and he didn't want to arrest me!
You're so cool

Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Oofie
You're so cool
It's actually my first ticket in a while, don't tell me you don't race on the highway at night, sometimes?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
It's actually my first ticket in a while, don't tell me you don't race on the highway at night, sometimes?
With my Fit, no. With my other cars, no. I do autocross my other cars (z4 and 330) though.

Last edited by Oofie; 01-25-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Dude, if I could afford 2 beamers I definitely wouldn't have gotten a Fit, or brag about having beamers on a honda forum Mr. reeking sarcasm what gives?--but seriously, did you get the Fit as a daily driver or...?

I think thats OT enough so I'll leave it at that.

Theres no way the hesitation is caused by buildup though, my friend got a 08 BOM MT Sport and it had hesitation whenever he used cruise control but only with cruise control--and he said the dealer replaced something in his throttle system that was causing the issue, it's been resolved since. That's not exactly the same issue though, for example, he could drive and hold the pedal for steady MPH and it was fine, just no CC or he would get the hiccups.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Dude, if I could afford 2 beamers I definitely wouldn't have gotten a Fit, or brag about having beamers on a honda forum Mr. reeking sarcasm what gives?--but seriously, did you get the Fit as a daily driver or...?

I think thats OT enough so I'll leave it at that.

Theres no way the hesitation is caused by buildup though, my friend got a 08 BOM MT Sport and it had hesitation whenever he used cruise control but only with cruise control--and he said the dealer replaced something in his throttle system that was causing the issue, it's been resolved since. That's not exactly the same issue though, for example, he could drive and hold the pedal for steady MPH and it was fine, just no CC or he would get the hiccups.
If you can see my sig, I only listed the 06 z4 as my only bimmer. I used to have an 06 330i but traded that in for a z4. So you mean if I can afford a BMW or two, I should not be practical and get a Fit as a DD or something that I can haul things with? You do know that a z4 is a roadster right, which really isn't the most practical car in the world.

I didn't go on here to brag, I was having problems with my car and most of the posters in this thread also do. If you look at my posts, I never mentioned any of my other cars until you asked me if I race on public roads.

Last edited by Oofie; 01-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Still there

Originally Posted by Oofie
So John (Jisch), you haven't fixed your car yet? Is it still doing the "stutter" and did it worsen from when you noticed it?
Generally it has not worsened. I say it that way because sometimes its really bad and sometimes not so much. I just did a 50 mile round trip highway drive today, on the way out I predicted the stutter and it happened 3 out of 4 times when I thought it would. On the way back it didn't happen once. I filled up just after leaving my house at Mobil. I suppose that's what is most frustrating. If I can't replicate it consistently, the shop can't either, which makes it hard for them to diagnose it.

John

Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jisch
I get gas at completely random places, Gulf, Sunoco, ExxonMobil etc. I haven't noticed a difference between brands, however the problem is such that it would take some serious note taking to create a cause and effect relationship. I'll try to pay closer attention, but it could be anyone of three people putting gas in the car so, it's hard to keep track.

John
Well after getting diagnosed that i was getting a misfire in cyl 1,2 and 3, i decided to try to clean the injectors before buying 3 coil packs because that's the only thing left. I replaced 2 sets of plugs and both do the same problem so i know it's not the plugs.

what i did was i waited until i got a low gas light then i poured in the Chevron injector cleaner. Looks like this:

And i poured it straight in on a low tank. the instructions says fill up to 16 gallons of gas on top, but i didn't do that until after about 15-20 minutes of driving on the fuel cleaner. It made a HUGEEE inprovement in my idle, acceleration, and it literally removed the check engine light 3 minutes after pouring it in. I think it was the dirty injectors. I'm still getting very SLIGHT engine hesistation at about 3000rpm's so i'm going to wait until i finish this gas tank to pour in another one. I'll keep u guys updated.

Oh btw with the engine running like crap and a CEL, i managed to get 395mpg on a full tank.... the best tank i have ever had lol.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Gentlemen, (and Ladies)...

So far, like I mentioned and from what i hear from other people...

1) I know it is not the EGR for sure ( I replaced mine and stutter still there)
2) Seems like it is not the plugs as people have replaced plugs and stutter still there
3) It is NOT gas, i ran 4 injector/fuel system cleaners, and various gas stations.. stutter still there
4) It is not moisture in gas.. ran 2 "HEET" de-moisturizer and stutter still there..
5) COILS ... not sure ?.. anyone..
6) Catalytic converter congested????

I find it hard to believe it is carbon build up.. people with brand new cars are experiencing this..

What kills me is the intermittent behavior... it does NOT happen all the time.. one day I can drive all day with no stutter... next day can stutter all the time..
if it was plugs, or carbon build up I would expect constant stutter behavior... something is very fishy here... I get the stutter only at WOT < 2000 rmps on all gears.. it never used to happen before......
What about the previously mentioned "fix" to the guy with the cruise control issue.. what did Honda fix on the throttle body????...
I bet if we keep brainstorming we can figure out the problem......
lets keep this going and get this solved...!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
lol i have been battling this problem for months. i have done it all and changed out every sensor and part i could think of, but i HAVE FOUND the solution. what i did was unplug the intake air temp sensor , what this does is put the car in closed loop. yes it runs a little richer and burns a little more gas, but on my turbo car i dont mind. something about placing the car in a closed loop situation completely stops this problem. the only side effect is a check engine light, a small price to pay for a smooth ride.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Ok

Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB
lol i have been battling this problem for months. i have done it all and changed out every sensor and part i could think of, but i HAVE FOUND the solution. what i did was unplug the intake air temp sensor , what this does is put the car in closed loop. yes it runs a little richer and burns a little more gas, but on my turbo car i dont mind. something about placing the car in a closed loop situation completely stops this problem. the only side effect is a check engine light, a small price to pay for a smooth ride.
So if this is a fix, what is the problem? A bad sensor or a bad computer? Good info, but I'd much rather keep my car in tact if possible.

John

Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 AM
And, dare someone explain why no CEL ???..
I have had this problem for quite a while and no sign of any check engine or anything of that sort.. I would have thought if it was misfire , the CEL would indicate the appropriate code.... what the heck is going on ????..

Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by db_et_ac
And, dare someone explain why no CEL ???..
I have had this problem for quite a while and no sign of any check engine or anything of that sort.. I would have thought if it was misfire , the CEL would indicate the appropriate code.... what the heck is going on ????..

Any disturbance in the ignition of the fuel-air mixture not caused by ignition circuit or injector circuit or timing circuit would not be detected by the warning system.
What sensor would detect the interruption in the combustion besides the knock sensor? And since there doesn't appear to be a disruption in the combustion timing that sensor wouldn't pick it up.
If multiple bottles of injector cleaner, new spark plugs, faulty spark plug wires, or/and ECM reprogramming doesn't solve the problem its probably carbon deposits and requires cylinder head removal and cleaning. Those carbon deposits usually are the result of using convenience store gas which is not as heavily loaded with additives as the gas brand outlets.(how do you think the cost is less?)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Not all codes will trigger a CEL. It has to be "serious" enough to trigger a code. For example I have a 02 Dodge CTD truck. My CEL wasnt on and I scanned it. Come to find out I had 7 codes. After reading up on it they werent serious enough for the computer to trigger the CEL.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone try seafoam?

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"