Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Constant speed "stutter"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Todd, I have 38000 miles on my car and have had absolutely no engine related problems, after five years of owning it the battery is still good... I drive the hell out of it most of the time and have had a KWSC supercharger on it for 2 years and upgraded to the high boost kit a year ago... There are guys that have gone over 100,000 miles without having to replace their coils.... I wonder why some people have this problem and others don't... I wish there was a way to get info on the driving, maintenance, oil type used and grade of fuel used.. I have money stashed that I add to every month in case this or something else happens to me... When the stash is big enough I buy performance enhancing parts.. I would think that the added amount of fuel and combustion pressure would place more of a load on the ignition system and that my coils would have taken a crap on me by now..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
my girl has a 2007 GD base auto. she first experienced the stuttering when one of her friends told to put in 93 octane instead of the recommended 87 in the beginning of summer of last year. after a few fill ups, she said she noticed the stuttering and switch back to 87. she has stayed with 87 since then and the stuttering has gotten so bad that when she is about to stop at a light or a stop sign, the car stalls. sometimes when it doesn't and she is stopped, the car will stutter a little and she throws it in Neutral for the time being. hope other people are having the same problems so that Honda can really take a look at this and do something about it!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lilaznphatboy
my girl has a 2007 GD base auto. she first experienced the stuttering when one of her friends told to put in 93 octane instead of the recommended 87 in the beginning of summer of last year. after a few fill ups, she said she noticed the stuttering and switch back to 87. she has stayed with 87 since then and the stuttering has gotten so bad that when she is about to stop at a light or a stop sign, the car stalls. sometimes when it doesn't and she is stopped, the car will stutter a little and she throws it in Neutral for the time being. hope other people are having the same problems so that Honda can really take a look at this and do something about it!

Virtually all Fits, as well as other cars as well as Hondas with coil packs, have experienced the same stuuttering; its an indication that plugs and coil packs have reached end of life.
Your Honda dealer will likely charge around $400 to replace all four., a long way from the $25 for replacing points and plugs, or just plugs when distributors were transistorized.
Progress, ain't it wonderful !

PS there are hundreds of posts on that 'stuttering'.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
so ive decided to try to replace the coil packs. but before i do, since im on a budget, are you guys replacing the entire Ignition Coil or just the Ignition Coil boot?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lilaznphatboy
so ive decided to try to replace the coil packs. but before i do, since im on a budget, are you guys replacing the entire Ignition Coil or just the Ignition Coil boot?
All coil packs and spark plugs. Yeah, $300.
Thats why my 90's Hondas look better all the time, $5 for plugs and either $2.50 for points or nothing with transistorized distributor. Maybe $10 for a new coil.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Just do it!!!

I just replace two more of the coil packs on cylinders 2 and 3 and my 07 fit sport is back to purring like a kitten. I had insisted that the dealer replace coil packs over a year ago after several trips there with no trouble found and they finally discovered that coil pack 1 and 4 were starting to short out. 117000 miles now and keeps on going. No major maintenance just some dealer nuisance. Really happy I found this forum 1.5 year ago and insisted that dealer replace packs and sparks at 88000 miles. It was sputtering like chitty chitty bang bang for I can't tell you how long. I think I noticed the problem first around 69000 miles and I thought it was transmission slipping at high speed. Nope it wasn't but they couldn't tell me what it was until I found this forum and put my foot down.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have 38000 miles on my GD and am on the 3rd set of spark plugs.. They haven't gone bad or anything, I just want to see if it will allow me to drive longer before the coils need to be replaced.. At the rate that miles are accumulating I shouldn't have any problems until 2018.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
I talked to my buddy about it, he works at a stealership and he said to do a valve adjustment. He told me a lot of Fits are having a stuttering problem and a valve adjustment fixes the problem. So...before you go out and spend the $25-80/coilpack. Give a valve adjustment a try.

Last edited by FitGD4; 08-08-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
A DIY valve job sounds easy, but I lack the tools to get the job done and I'm sure it would consume an entire day judging by the pace I take with previous car-related projects. So this begs the question: How does the cost of a valve job by a competent mechanic or dealership compare to the cost of four coil packs ($100)? Especially when you factor in the time required to do either, I'm sure the coil pack replacement is faster and seems to solve the problem for many people.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitGD4
I talked to my buddy about it, he works at a stealership and he said to do a valve adjustment. He told me a lot of Fits are having a stuttering problem and a valve adjustment fixes the problem. So...before you go out and spend the $25/coilpack. Give a valve adjustment a try.

where would one find those $25 coilpacks? The cheapest I've found was $70...

and can anyone direct me to a diy for adjusting valves....?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
BraytonAK- just putting in my .02. If you dont have any mechanical experience then dont attempt it. Buy the coil packs and installing them yourself would be your only option then.

inmytree- someone had mention on this post that they got the coilpacks for $25. Scan through and see if you can get their user name.

Last edited by FitGD4; 08-08-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
A DIY valve job sounds easy, but I lack the tools to get the job done and I'm sure it would consume an entire day judging by the pace I take with previous car-related projects. So this begs the question: How does the cost of a valve job by a competent mechanic or dealership compare to the cost of four coil packs ($100)? Especially when you factor in the time required to do either, I'm sure the coil pack replacement is faster and seems to solve the problem for many people.

First time you do a valve job it should be done with an experienced person. But the only tools you need are metric closed end wrenches, blade screwdriver, and feeler gages. It does take some experience to learn the correct resistance to sliding the feeler gage in the gap and to correctly position the crankshaft for each cylinder. Once you see it though you can easily repeat it. Typically a dealer will charge about $100 to $150 for a valve check and set. The whole thing takes under 2 hours.

But rarely is valve check the reason for stuttering; mostly its the coil packs and plugs and replacing them will set youy back $400 at a dealer just for parts. Coil packs run about $75 and plugs $15-20. Worse, we haven't had much luck with aftermarket parts; Honda parts seem to be a lot better unlike their batteries.
good luck but get out your pocketbook.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just for the record, i had the same problem with my 2006 FIT (I am from México) and this is what i did:

I started to have this problem by January 2011 (~90,000 Km or ~56,000 Miles), so I taken to the dealers service and they did a spark plug replacement and a cleaning injector job. The problem dissappear for 3 weeks, and the hiccup came back.

I had te problem until July when the car stalled in a stop light, then I started to search and arrived to this thread. I bought 4 the Artex / Wells coilpacks at rockauto (they sent them to mexico in 1 week which is a very good time by FedEx).

Having no experience in mechanics, me and my dad changed all the ignition coilpacks by july 24th, guess what? the problem has gone away, running since that day until now sept. 2nd, with no hiccups / stalling engine.

So, the Artex/Wells coilpacks (2007 FIT) are compatible with my 2006 FIT.

Last edited by josueneo; 09-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by josueneo
Just for the record, i had the same problem with my 2006 FIT (I am from México) and this is what i did:

I started to have this problem by January 2011 (~90,000 Km ~55 923.4073 Miles)
An I bet the warranty expired 3.141593654 miles ago? Gah!

Thanks for posting this. It helps to confirm what I was hoping, which is that it's no more difficult than replacing the coil packs. If that's all that goes wrong on this car I will be so pleased. I can handle coil packs!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
My fit has 77k, I have noticed for a couple years now that the valves seem noisy, like ticky. I don't remember what it sounded like when it was new, but I seem to remember it was pretty quiet.

I've just recently started having hiccup issues, where the acceleration lags, especially at lower RPMs. It's getting more frequent each day. Sitting at a stop light it will stutter occasionally.

So what is the consensus here? Is this issue always or usually caused by a bad coilpack? Or could it be helped by adjusting the valve clearances first? Adjusting valves is free, so I'm inclined to try that first. I had an 80s BMW that quieted significantly and ran smoother after a valve adjustment.

2007 Fit is coming up on five years old - how many years do the batteries last?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
My battery is 3 months over 5 years old and still working very well....

Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phoenity

So what is the consensus here? Is this issue always or usually caused by a bad coil pack? Or could it be helped by adjusting the valve clearances first? Adjusting valves is free, so I'm inclined to try that first. I had an 80s BMW that quieted significantly and ran smoother after a valve adjustment.
I'd say that valve adjustment, spark plug condition (gap), and coil packs all contribute to the stuttering.

Since yes, the valve adjustment is "free" if you DIY (just labor), and the Fit's valves most certainly go out of adjustment over time, I'd recommend you do that first. I did a valve adjustment at about 60K miles and most needed adjustment on the Fit. I'll be checking valve clearances again in about two years.

If the problem persists I'd likely replace plugs (if over 90K miles, they are due) then coil packs.

JMHO

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM
"salamat" thats how we say thanks here in the philippines,

i"m from the Philippines and read all these thread i've been following on.. on the coil pack problems..

I just notice my fit was was doing the same problems as those stuttering and chocking like symptoms, at first we thought that is was a fuel filter maybe its clog or a bad spark plugs.. but instead of checking it to a professional mechanic me and my bro cleaned the coil packs instead of replacing. only for testing it, if it was really the main cause of the problem. I just told him about this forum and how many honda fit owners was having the same problem..
As we were cleaning the packs we notice a dirt burn like marks on the coil packs, then our father told us it was a "flash over effect" term in means the electric discharge is not properly distributed to the spark plugs or mainly a insulation problem.. my father told us to clean it with a insulator cleaner then the next thing boom it was running like new no stuttering..

we were hoping, not to have the same problem again or we will replace the coil pack with the new ones. i would really like to THANK the guys who started this thread...

Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by bhin1111
i"m from the Philippines and read all these thread i've been following on.. on the coil pack problems..

I just notice my fit was was doing the same problems as those stuttering and chocking like symptoms, at first we thought that is was a fuel filter maybe its clog or a bad spark plugs.. but instead of checking it to a professional mechanic me and my bro cleaned the coil packs instead of replacing. only for testing it, if it was really the main cause of the problem. I just told him about this forum and how many honda fit owners was having the same problem..
As we were cleaning the packs we notice a dirt burn like marks on the coil packs, then our father told us it was a "flash over effect" term in means the electric discharge is not properly distributed to the spark plugs or mainly a insulation problem.. my father told us to clean it with a insulator cleaner then the next thing boom it was running like new no stuttering..

we were hoping, not to have the same problem again or we will replace the coil pack with the new ones. i would really like to THANK the guys who started this thread...
How did you take apart your coil pack? I've only replaced one so far, but if I can just clean it to prepare it for the next one that goes bad it would really help.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
First off, profuse thanks to everyone who has so diligently posted on this thread, with follow-ups and all.

When my 2007 Fit Sport started stuttering a couple days ago (at the magic 60-65 mph) I hit Fitfreak as soon as I got home.

Everything in this thread seemed to fit my issue exactly. All the symptoms were in line. After reading all 17 pages (so far), I was ready to order a set of ignition coils from the first vendor who would accept my depreciating US$.

However, I calmed myself as I drove to O'Reilly Auto, and settled for a set of plugs and (why not?) a bottle of Heet fuel additive.

I poured in the Heet in the parking lot and hit the freeway. To my surprise, after a couple of 'coughs,' the stuttering was gone. Now, two days later, I took a long drive and hit all the trouble spots - especially those long, uphill 65mph grades - with an OBDII scanner connected. No issues.

I remembered that the problem started soon after I filled the tank (from a trusted source, mind you) and now I wonder if it was just a tank of bad gas.

As others have so generously done, I'll keep FF informed with updates but, so far, it seems like I dodged a bullet.

I post this because, after reading 17 pages of posts, I was convinced that I should just skip the formalities and drop $200 bucks on a set of ignition coils. Yet, a two-dollar bottle of Heet later, my Fit is running fine (so far). The problem may well turn out to be the coils, but it might not.

So for anyone else with the same issues, can I suggest a diagnostic flow:

1. Did you just fill the tank? Drop a bottle of water-absorbing additive on top. Drive the tank dry, and refill.
2. If you still have issues, replace plugs.
3. If that doesn't work, maybe it's time to drop $200 on a new set of coils.

This is not to downplay the good results everyone here has had from replacing coils. I'm just saying that, personally, after reading all these posts, I was ready to shell out a lot of money when, maybe, I didn't have to.

The problem may well come back, of course...I'll let everyone know, one way or the other.

Thanks again, Fit freakers!

Quick Reply: Constant speed "stutter"