Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fit to be tied! Rattle by right back window. Grrrr.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Fit to be tied! Rattle by right back window. Grrrr.

I have an irritating rattle in the far back right area of my car, somewhere around the back rear light area. I took the car to the Honda dealer today and told them exactly where the rattle and buzz was coming from. When I went to pick up the car, the serviceman said he couldn't hear it and therefore, couldn't find it to fix. I was adamant about the buzzing rattle that gets worse over rougher roads or bumps.

We took a ride. He heard it. When we got back to the dealership he opened the back hatch and looked all around. He couldn't see anything out of line or loose.

I am to take the car back on Monday morning to give them more time to see if they find anything around the window or around the rear right back light.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix this irritating rattle? The serviceman said it might just be the nature of the beast, but I will not accept a month and a half old car having an irritating rattle and buzz like that, especially when I have to drive four hours to Indianapolis next week.

Thanks for any input.
CarGirl

Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
if you are as unfortunate as me and alot of the other owners...they will continue to say "we dont hear it."

I have had this issue with my dash since a couple months after i bought it.

I hope your luck is better than mine!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by gimme
if you are as unfortunate as me and alot of the other owners...they will continue to say "we dont hear it."

I have had this issue with my dash since a couple months after i bought it.

I hope your luck is better than mine!
the dash rattle is a service bulletin in canada
On some 2007-08 Fits, customers may complain of a creaking or clicking noise from the dashboard at the base of the windshield especially when driving in freezing temperatures on rough road surfaces. The most probable cause is contact between the ribs on the forward underside of the dashboard and the dashboard insulation pad or body. To correct the problem, use the repair procedure to remove the dashboard and both A-pillar garnishes, and then apply felt insulation material to these contact points.

as for the rattle from the rear, i have no idea, but when you go back get the tech that will be working on the car to go for the drive with you. most service advisors dont know anything about cars

Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
ohhhhh! they allways tell me, "there is no SB so we don't know how to fix it." And, i have even taken 3 of them for rides...and they hear it. You think they would treat me better since i am on a first name basis with everyone there and i just bought my (wife's) 7th car there!

i have taken it to my dealer every month for the past 30k+ miles. i work really close

Glad your dealers up north are doing something for you guys/gals.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM
the fact that there is a fix is great, but i dont know that if i had the noise it would bother me enough for me to let them completely remove the dash to apply the felt. my luck would be five new noises after they fix the one.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I had a dash rattle---it was the glove box fixed myself-- I didn't even bother taking it to the dealer as I've being through the typical routine with other dealers/manufacturers----" I can't hear it" they must be all deaf or complete morons.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix this irritating rattle? The serviceman said it might just be the nature of the beast, but I will not accept a month and a half old car having an irritating rattle and buzz like that, especially when I have to drive four hours to Indianapolis next week.

Thanks for any input.
CarGirl

Did you look in the spare tire well or in the little cubby hole on the right?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
It may have taken three months and 6 trips to the Honda dealer to fix this, but my back rear right rattle is finally gone. When I went to the service department this time and told them it was either fix the rattle or let me talk to the manager of the dealership so I could ask for my money back, Honda put the head of the service department on my case.

What he did was pull off the back hatch panel. There he discovered a loose wiring harness that went to the rear right light. It should have been taped, but wasn't and so every time I went over a bump it rattled.

Was I ever happy to drive my Fit for the first time in three months without that darn rattle. It was music to my ears for that back area to finally be rattle free.

Last edited by cargirl2B; 08-27-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
good to know

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 PM
yea congrats. My hatch rattles when the music is off. It's not the wiring harness though, sounds kinda like it's the glass itself. It's not a big issue for me though. I'm one of those people that like noise, I even have my windows down when it's freezing in the middle of winter to hear the air. I get claustrophobic when all the windows are up ;/

Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Some more good and bad news. The bad news: Once the back rattle was fixed, what did I hear more prominently but a buzzing around the dash area. I didn't care when the service folks raised their eyebrows at me coming in once more to fix yet another rattle. Again, I asked for the service manager who spent the day with the car.

The good news: He found the source of the buzzing - a loose wiring harness for the air conditioner cables which he wrapped with foam tape.

Today, after 3 1/2 months of buzzing and rattling, my Fit is noise free.

The moral of the story: Stick to your guns. If those rattles are giving you fits, don't settle. Get thee to a service manager and get those rattles taken care of once and for all.

Last edited by cargirl2B; 11-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
lol thanks for the entertaining story and wisdom