Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Switchblade FOB with Trunk Delete, Completed with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
DIY Switchblade FOB with Trunk Delete, Completed with Pics!

First off this is sort of an amendment to Mugen_Dom's thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-key-fob.html

I did not want to hijack his post or make it longer than it needed to be. I found one thing to be different in my experience (I have and 08 Fit Sport) and also did the RDX face plate trunk delete option and will show a bit more detail.

I am not going to go into complete a complete from start to finish DIY because the above mentioned post is great and where I got my info from. I will just add the differences I experienced, so together Mugen_Dom's and my DIY should have all the info you need.

Here is my OEM FOB apart:
Name:  DSC04245.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  93.0 KB

Here is the one difference. My OEM Immobilizer chip is identical to the one in the Acura TL FOB so no modification was needed when I switched them out. I am not sure if all 08’s will be like this or if it is a hit and miss. But it made the process that much more easier:

Name:  DSC04247.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  93.3 KB

RDX face plate DIY in detail:
RDX face plate vs. TL face plate pic:
Name:  DSC04271.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  48.4 KB

First step is to open the part with the buttons. Just use a flat head screwdriver to pry it open like in the pic:

Name:  DSC04261.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  37.9 KB

Next you need to pop the tabs that will give you access to the button assembly. This too can be done with a small flat head screw diver. At the 4 points shown in the pic:

Name:  DSC04265.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  44.4 KB

Now cut the trunk release button off as shown in pic:
Name:  DSC04269.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  38.6 KB
Put the assembly back together the same way it came apart, and assemble the rest of the FOB. This should be your completed project.
Name:  DSC04255.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  43.6 KB
Name:  DSC04256.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  37.8 KB
Also notice I removed the Acura symbol and put on my Honda symbol. I am going to make it look cleaner this weekend. I will use my dermel to grind out a spot the size of the Honda symbol to make it lay flush.
Hope this is helpful!

On a side note. When you go to get it cut since it does not need to be programmed you can save yourself some money and get it cut by a lock smith for around $30 - $40. All you will need is one of your original keys to copy from.

If you still do not feel safe and want to bring it to a dealer most of the time they just use a third party to cut them and charge you his price plus a fee for going through the dealer.

One more thought as well if you call and ask for a price most of the time they will always try and tell you $100+. Just got to the parts department and let them know that all you need is a cut and they will charge around $45-$55.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 AM
You aren't getting the feedback you deserve.

Very sexy mod, been following the original thread too. Just won't hop on it because the H emblem doesn't fit perfectly (I'm anal about stuff like that). :[ :b

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
that's sexy.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
thx a lot for the clarification on 08, it's going to be really useful since i have an 08 sport too

just to make sure: there's only 1 thing to be transferred over, which is 1 chip right?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
do you happen to have any pics on the DIY when you did the switch from the original key to the TL one? the other thread doesnt have any of the pictures, and i am a pretty big noob when it comes to this stuff, so i need all the help i can get.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZiaMan
do you happen to have any pics on the DIY when you did the switch from the original key to the TL one? the other thread doesnt have any of the pictures, and i am a pretty big noob when it comes to this stuff, so i need all the help i can get.
you have to get the new blade cut.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loud_tiger
you have to get the new blade cut.
well, yea, i knew that. i just wanted to see some pics to make sure i do everything correctly. im actually picking up my key fob from acura tomorrow.