Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Interior Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Interior Cleaning

I decided my car was dirty and to do the windows, clean the dash, the doors, and vacuum. After doing everything all nice and off to my hockey game a friend and I realize that the dash looks like crap the doors to. I used Armor All wipes to do the whole thing and their are swirls of the stuff and goopy areas. The directions are wipe down area and let dry I had the windows open it should have been dry but instead two days later I'm stuck with swirls all over the car. What do you use to keep the dash and plastics nice and shiny. Please help. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 AM
I used them as well and the same thing happened to me. BUT I just re-used them over and over and did an even application to the entire dash/doors and they worked great.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Retired Moderator
I try to refrain from using those plastic enhancers. Over time, they will dry out and crack your dash if you don't apply it regularly. With our weather here, it's just not in the cards. And also, there is an application problem. You really need to saturate it to get it into all those nooks and crannies, otherwise it'll look weird and blotchy.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
A lot of folks use an all-purpose cleaner (APC) diluted 10 or 20 to 1 for vinyl cleaning. Woolite diluted 4 or 5 to 1 makes a very gentle interior cleaner too.

You might have to go stronger to get all the AA goop off though. Try wiping the excess off with an MF cloth first and see if you can live with that.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys after work ill attempt to get this crap off of my dash.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Rob22315
A lot of folks use an all-purpose cleaner (APC) diluted 10 or 20 to 1 for vinyl cleaning. Woolite diluted 4 or 5 to 1 makes a very gentle interior cleaner too.

You might have to go stronger to get all the AA goop off though. Try wiping the excess off with an MF cloth first and see if you can live with that.
Ditto on the Woolite! As far as a protectant goes, try to find some 1Z Cockpit Premium. It has a very matte finish, not shiny, and protects as well.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I just use a damp wash cloth. I have no problems with swirls or 'goop.' For glass I use distilled water and newspaper, leaves no streaks and I don't have to wipe up any over spray from the plastic pieces.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
I decided my car was dirty and to do the windows, clean the dash, the doors, and vacuum. After doing everything all nice and off to my hockey game a friend and I realize that the dash looks like crap the doors to. I used Armor All wipes to do the whole thing and their are swirls of the stuff and goopy areas. The directions are wipe down area and let dry I had the windows open it should have been dry but instead two days later I'm stuck with swirls all over the car. What do you use to keep the dash and plastics nice and shiny. Please help. Thanks.
I used those too. the first time i used them, i had the same problem, but now it doesn't happen anymore. hahaha it's weird...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for the Fit's dash and door panels use Prima Nero. I use it dilluted 50/50
with distilled water, but straight Nero is fine. you DONOT want to use
armorall. it is garbage.

if the car is really dirty use Nero straight.

If not Prima Nero, Aero303 is your best bet. you can get these from
Detailer'sParadise.

these will leave behind a nice matte finish. none of that glossy crap.

Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing

Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
For cleaning the interior, i have yet to find any product better
than Griot's InteriorCleaner. It works very well and is virtually scentless.

they also now have CarpetCleaner as well.

you can get them here:

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
how do you clean the interior carpet without fluffing it up? (cargo area behind seats etc).

it seems like really cheap carpet that wears easily (the hole on the edge of my floormat on the drivers side attests to this)

Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
i used my shopvac to clean it as much as it could, then sprayed the
InteriorCleaner directly over the soiled area. then took a cotton towel
and worked the product in and wiped clean. might get those Griot's
MF shop towels while you're at it. they didn't have those back when
i ordered the interior cleaner.

as you said, dont use a hard bristled brush cause it does pull up
the flooring weaves and turns into a nasty blob of tangled up nylon.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I clean the dash and trim using simple green (diluted to 1:10) and shine it up with Vinylex. You can pick up both at any auto store. Seats and Carpet I just use my craftsman shop vac and its brush attachment.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned
Your best bet for cleaning the dash or any other interior plastic pieces is the pick up a can of Honda Polish. You can buy it online at Bernardi Honda. I bought a can there after I bought my Fit, just make sure you keep it warm and don't let it freeze sitting in your garage. I doubted the functionality of it until I used it, now I use it on everything.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
just as illusive mentioned once you use those "protectants" you HAVE to keep using them other wise your dash WILL start to crack, but you'll be ok as long as you keep up with it. i use to use stuff like that in my 91 crx (avatar) and it looked great... i just didn't like the greasy feel and how it collected dust and dirt.

now in my fit, i vaccuum first, blow out with air compressor, and then if it needs it (which isn't a lot), just do a quick wipe with one of the damp micro fiber rags i used to dry the car. pristine everytime, like the day i drove it off the lot.

if you're a smoker, or you got kids, or pets go with SIMPLE GREEN. i was a detailer for a couple body shops in vegas and that stuff cleans everything.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bryanback
I also used those armor all cleaning wipes and hated them. I'm not sure what I can use the remaining half of a tube on, but it sure won't be my car. I also got a tube of the protectant wipes, which left things really greasy and a little gross, until I sort of hand-buffed it with a microfiber cloth, which made it look real good.

But, it seems like most people tend to just use water and a microfiber towel. I haven't tried that yet, but it seems harmless enough that if it doesn't clean the way you want, it at least won't hurt anything.

Yea dude i agree, armor all sucks. its sooooo greasy looking. If you want teh best look, youll be surprised but glass cleaner works AMAZINGLY!!!! no streaks, greasyness, or anyhting. Try just regular glass cleaner. just spray ur entire dash, plastic and whatever with it. and then wipe off with a regular towel. try it and get back at me how u liked it.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by los_creeper
just as illusive mentioned once you use those "protectants" you HAVE to keep using them other wise your dash WILL start to crack, but you'll be ok as long as you keep up with it. i use to use stuff like that in my 91 crx (avatar) and it looked great... i just didn't like the greasy feel and how it collected dust and dirt.
that's if you use garbage dressing. won't crack if you use Prima Nero
or Aero303. there's a reason why detailers spend the extra money.

for the product's finish, efficiency, durability, flexibility.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Retired Moderator
I never have and never will use Armor all on any kind on interior part of any of my cars. To be honest i dont like a shiny plastic interior, it came as a flat plastic and i want it to stay that way. And as Illusive said, it does screw up yout interior over time.

Tyler

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
i dont use that crap on the exterior either...
for exterior black plastic nothing beats this. and this is after
experimenting with many different kinda trim dressing.

just released last year.

SCD Black Wow the only exterior trim dressing you will ever need!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
i use some megs quick interior cleaner and a micro fibre cloth, does the job for me...