Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How do I make inner fender flush again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
How do I make inner fender flush again?

I have a 2007 Fit Sport. When it was new, the inner fenders were so nice and flush with the lip of the bumper. Trouble is, the bumper is so low that I've scraped it a few times and now the black lining no longer fits snugly - it keeps popping out.

Thing is, I'm a journalist and about to write a piece for Autochannel.com called "Perfect Fit" - and before photographing the car I'd like that nice, flush, like-new look. But I can't figure out how to snap it back so it doesn't immediately pop out again during a drive.

Here's a picture of the problem - any advice and help greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 AM
Banned
First pop out the two "Pop in clips" farthest forward toward the bumper just about a little above your arrows. Then crawl underneath the front bumper and there are pop in clips and ONE Phillips head screw up through the bottom part of the bumper holding the under car splash guard up to the bumper.

The One screw ALSO passes through the splash guard and the clip is actually clipped into the very end of the inner fender liner that is on the top of the splash guard so you have to look through the hole that is there to see what i'm talking about. Take out the screw and make sure you don't loose the clip that the screw goes into. The larger hole in the splash guard, that you can stick your fingers into, is right near the screw hole and can be used for access doing the next step.

Get a friend or move around if you are alone and pull the inner fender out toward the outside of the fender back to it's original position so it stays "closed" like it was when new.... Hold it in that position.

When it's where you want it put the screw back into place and tighten it up, put the pop in clips back into the holes in the inner fender.

Then take a deep breath and see if it stays in place..... It SHOULD stay there for a good while or at least long enough to take your photos only time will tell.

Good luck on your article.

Last edited by claymore; 04-03-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
dam clay, ur up early. good advice tho, im sure many people will have use for this in the future. good job.