Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Acura TL Switchblade Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by rad_dsm
Will you share the name of the dealer where you got the great price on the key fob?
I PM'ed you with the dealer name, but it's Richmond Acura in Richmond BC, Canada!!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned
will the ones on ebay work? the acura fobs

Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Combo_Turbo
will the ones on ebay work? the acura fobs
I'd buy one from the dealer. As a licenced automotive technician, i see LOTS off ppl purchase stuff off of ebay. I do it myself. What i've come across is, aftermarket/fake keys aren't the right size. Some are too big or too small and they won't work. Do dealer. Just to be safe. but hey, it's just a suggestion and from my experience.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
You could always buy from a dealership on eBay.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blaw
Great DIY!!!!
I have a Fit base with keyless. The key and the remote are separate. I am really interested in consolidating the two into a switchblade thingamajig. Thank you and +10 cool points to you.

I am also wondering where the best price for the TL key fob is. I'm starting to research this. I'll post the best price I find.

In the interest of saving money I am thinking the blank key blade can be cut by home depot or locksmith for cheaper.
Please post your results if you manage to consolidate the separate remote and key into the switchblade. I'm in the same position you are and it'd be cool to have a two-in-one solution.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Awesome DIY I ended up purchasing my Key fob at the Acura dealer near my work, ended up costing $53, however, when I went to get it cut at the Honda dealership I didn't have to pay a cent!!! So I guess I was lucky enough that the guy did it for me for free.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Base Remtoe -> Sport Remoet

Originally Posted by nx2000
Originally Posted by [B
Blaw[/b]] Originally Posted by Blaw
Great DIY!!!!
I have a Fit base with keyless. The key and the remote are separate. I am really interested in consolidating the two into a switchblade thingamajig. Thank you and +10 cool points to you.

I am also wondering where the best price for the TL key fob is. I'm starting to research this. I'll post the best price I find.

In the interest of saving money I am thinking the blank key blade can be cut by home depot or locksmith for cheaper.
Please post your results if you manage to consolidate the separate remote and key into the switchblade. I'm in the same position you are and it'd be cool to have a two-in-one solution.
I would be happy with the conversion from the Base Remote with separate Key to Sport Base with embedded key. Anyone done this?

-d

Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I am trying to find out more info...specifically whether this TL remote is interchangeable with the Fit Base remote.

On the back of my base remote, it says "ALPS electric Co., Ltd Japan"
On the back of the TL remote, it says "OMRON Corporation Japan"
The FCC ID is also different.

What does it say on the back of the Fit Sport's key?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Blaw
I am trying to find out more info...specifically whether this TL remote is interchangeable with the Fit Base remote.

On the back of my base remote, it says "ALPS electric Co., Ltd Japan"
On the back of the TL remote, it says "OMRON Corporation Japan"
The FCC ID is also different.

What does it say on the back of the Fit Sport's key?
What is the FCC ID on the remote? The TL fob might not work, but maybe a different one (RDX / MDX) will.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mugen_Dom
What is the FCC ID on the remote? The TL fob might not work, but maybe a different one (RDX / MDX) will.
The FCC ID on my remote is NHVWB1U523 ('08 Base Fit w/ Remote Entry Added).

-d

Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks!!! I was wondering about a mod like this today at work

Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by dlong
The FCC ID on my remote is NHVWB1U523 ('08 Base Fit w/ Remote Entry Added).

-d
Unfortunately that FCC ID does not match up with any of the available switchblade keys or any of the combined key + alarm fobs currently available. There may be some aftermarket ones, but from the reading I've done (mainly on Honda Element sites) you're unfortunately out of luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
here's what the back of the fob looks like if you replace the Acura logo with the Honda logo:

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder what we can put in there to fill the gap? Maybe fingernail polish?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mugen_Dom
Unfortunately that FCC ID does not match up with any of the available switchblade keys or any of the combined key + alarm fobs currently available. There may be some aftermarket ones, but from the reading I've done (mainly on Honda Element sites) you're unfortunately out of luck.
Ah crap!! Thanks for doing the research!!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM
The switchblade is cool but I'd be happy using the sport key for my Fit LX with keyless. Can this be done?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by michaelpotter
The switchblade is cool but I'd be happy using the sport key for my Fit LX with keyless. Can this be done?
See post #52.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have run into an interested problem. I went to program the key and only the lock function works. My TL key will not unlock the car. I even tried the same learn process using the unlock button, and the car will unlock, until I pull the key out, then it will only lock... I don't know what to do with it.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I figured it out. The memory function was enabled on my remote. I held the lock and unlock button down at the same time to disable it. Then it worked perfectly! -Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by binaryh4x
OK, I figured it out. The memory function was enabled on my remote. I held the lock and unlock button down at the same time to disable it. Then it worked perfectly! -Thanks!
LOL, yeah, thats the same problem i had when i first did the mod. But I remembered reading about that somewhere and had to go back and check a few forums before I found the solution!

How are you liking the key?

Quick Reply: DIY: Acura TL Switchblade Key Fob