Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

What detailing products do you use on your Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
What detailing products do you use on your Fit?

For the outside I use:
Wash -
Lowes Grout Sponge, Megs Deep Crystal soap
Dry -
Leaf Blower or PakShak MF towels
Paint Sealant -
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Trim Sealant -
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
Tires -
Still looking for something I like

I haven't clay barred it yet but have some 4 Star clay/lube that's resting quietly on my shelf.

Love to hear what works for others. RG

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Banned
I start with the quarter wash, and power wash it, I do this once a week so nothing really sticks to the paint, then last week I used a Mothers clay bar and a Meguiers wax, I'd have to head to the basement to see which one it was

But after washing if I ever see any missed spots or small blemish areas I use Honda Polish for a quick touch up. It usually does the job, but if there is a minor scratch I've got a bottle of scratch x and a tube of rubbing compound near by too

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
never touch your car when you don't HAVE to. never touch paint. when getting gas, don't lean on your car etc lol

Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
mothers car wash
meguires clay bar/detail spray
meguires #3 machine glaze
meguires #80 speed glaze
cobra polish/buffing pads
porter cable 7424 buffer
meguires scratch-x (for any deeper scratches)
zaino paint sealant system

Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
never touch your car when you don't HAVE to. never touch paint. when getting gas, don't lean on your car etc lol

good philosophy, now if I could get the 3000 people that work in my building to do the same we'd be golden

Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Retired Moderator
I've swapped to the full line of Pinnacle products this year.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Im Meguires all the way except for my microfiber rags/towels and my microfiber scrubber. I love using my leaf blower to get all the drippies. haha.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I am a Meguires girl! I love their soap and quick detailer. I just got their plastic spray and it works great on the interior. I will be using their clay bar products this spring and Scratch X in hopes of getting all the swirls to go away on my car. Meguires has a car forum with nothing but detailing information and info on new products check it out at:

Meguiar's Online - Forums Newsletter Signup

Cat :x

Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
ULTIMA!

The stuff is the greatest!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
I am a Meguires girl! I love their soap and quick detailer. I just got their plastic spray and it works great on the interior. I will be using their clay bar products this spring and Scratch X in hopes of getting all the swirls to go away on my car. Meguires has a car forum with nothing but detailing information and info on new products check it out at:

Meguiar's Online - Forums Newsletter Signup

Cat :x
I just signed up. To bad i dont know your forum name otherwise i would have given you the referal. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Zaino's complete car care kit for the washing and waxing. With the product you can apply the wax paste in direct sunlight and not worry about leaving film behind along with giving the paint a deeper, richer sheen and as smooth as silk.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Zaino's did a fine job. And my shoulder is back to normal now

Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't clayed my car yet but will this spring. Are y'all experiencing any issues with clay? Any tips? Anyone try agressive vs lighter clay on the soft Honda paint? RG

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned
I clayed mine last weekend, it went really smoothly, but its been gross out all week

Old 03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Griot's wash bucket/MF wash mitt/boar's hair wheel brush
Griot's CarWash
Prima Waffleweave (or Griot's thick MF towel whichever is available)
Griot's clay with meguiar's maroon cheepo QD as lube
Prima Hydro

done.

for windows: Prima Clarity and use their glass MF towels, window wizard as well.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob22315
For the outside I use:
Wash -
Lowes Grout Sponge, Megs Deep Crystal soap
Dry -
Leaf Blower or PakShak MF towels
Paint Sealant -
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Trim Sealant -
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
Tires -
Still looking for something I like

I haven't clay barred it yet but have some 4 Star clay/lube that's resting quietly on my shelf.

Love to hear what works for others. RG
For your tires - believe it or not, the best I've found is Zaino's tire dressing.

It looks and feels like light Blue milk when you put it on, not oily or sticky. Really hard to explain - it's simply different from every other tire dressing that I've used, and it works amazing.

When you are done - the tires look like brand-new tires. They aren't glassy shiney - they look like a tire that has never seen sunlight, and have just a hint of shine to them.

If someone has used Zaino's tire gloss, and then found something better later on, let me know- because I feel right now that I've found "the best", and I highly recommend it.

As far as the other Zaino products they are great as well, but I can' t tell a big difference between them and Meguiars NXT (haven't tried NXT ver. 2 yet). Actually the NXT comes off a bit easier.

Zaino is great stuff - if you have a whole day to put several coats of polish on. Their ZFX system is amazing if you plan to show your car. For me, and my Fit - Mequiars NXT is the monthly appointment.

Again - the Zaino Tire Gloss is the best I have ever used. If you don't like the sticky, drippy, see yourself-in-the-mirror gloss tire dresings - try the Zaino!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
detailing

Hope y'all don't mind but I'm waiting for the 09 so I'm Fit-less right now.I'd like to share what I've found to be great products, been using Duragloss pre-polish, polish and their aquawax -spray- on for a couple years now.Got a silver 06 Tundra and when I'm done you can see your eye color in the paint.No connection with Duragloss, just a customer, give 'em a call. Ask for Jerry, he along with his brother are the chemists that developed this stuff.I do it all by hand, for me it's a form of therapy I guess, some of you know what I mean , anyway I'll be lurking and learning..... great bunch of folks here!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Duragloss is great too. I use 501, 105, and aquawax on my 1993 Saab. The durability and price are excellent. I haven't really found a bad DG product although YMMV.

I keep the Ultima for my new cars.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I got a wild hair up my arse today and decided to detail my car. I didn't clay it as I did that not long after I got the car. Here was the process:

Wash:
Prima Mystique car wash using the 2 bucket method with Grit Guard in my soap bucket. I use the "flooding" method to get as much water off the car before drying. I use waffle weave towels for drying and old towels for the door jambs.

I wanted to try the Prima Swirl for my polishing via the PC but I'm not sure I like it. You really have to break the polish down or its a royal PITA to get off. I might go back to my Menzerna polishes, Intensive Polish.

I'm going to hit it tomorrow with Prima Amigo (glaze) and either DG 105 or Menzerna FMJ.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
any polishes/waxes that are hard to remove, just use some QD.

Quick Reply: What detailing products do you use on your Fit?