Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Has anyone replaced their oem battery yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Has anyone replaced their oem battery yet?

i've been googling for a while - can't seem to find a replacement battery for my fit... has anyone replaced it with something other than oem?

i can't wait to find out! help! and yes i've searched the forums...

Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 AM
I just ordered a Stinger SPV35 for my Fit.

The stock battery is fine but I want a sealed battery that has a bit more capacity for running my stereo with the engine off.

ed

Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by ezduzit
I just ordered a Stinger SPV35 for my Fit.

The stock battery is fine but I want a sealed battery that has a bit more capacity for running my stereo with the engine off.

ed
Sealed Batteries are great. You don't have to worry about distilation. But crystalization does happen, but really slowly. Sealed batteries usually last about 5 years. Also, the owner's manual mentions something about a battery recharger on the fit. So basically, the fit should keep the battery recharged while the car is running to maximize the battery life. My only advice is if you want to keep your battery long as possible, don't drain the life out of it.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Try hitting up a member named "Kelsodeez," he's running the spoon battery, but off the top of my head, we can use the civic's batteries. I remember someone on this forum running the yellow top in his/her fit.

FYI

Personally I'm trying to figure out how to route the battery to the "trunk," so it can give me a bigger range of batteries and sorta help with the bad weight balance with the Fit

Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Still on the oem battery

Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
i have replaced my battery. alhtough it is not a direct replacment, it works great, is less than half the weight of the OEM and the mounting location looks great (against teh fuse box) in the engine bay......besides that it compliments my passwordjdm intake very well. i definatly recomend this.

Password:JDM Battery Relocator (Fit) | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM

pics installed:

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Try hitting up a member named "Kelsodeez," he's running the spoon battery, but off the top of my head, we can use the civic's batteries. I remember someone on this forum running the yellow top in his/her fit.

FYI

Personally I'm trying to figure out how to route the battery to the "trunk," so it can give me a bigger range of batteries and sorta help with the bad weight balance with the Fit
Jimmy,
Check Summit Racing catalog for stainless steel battery boxes, wiring, dual battery isolators, etc. It's best to seal interior mounted batteries in a box that is vented to the outside unless you are using a truly sealed battery, to prevent gas build up and acid leaks in the car. Otherwise, another concern is very solid mounting- don't want the battery tearing loose in a crash. Summit and others have almost everything you would consider for battery relocation & safe mounting.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I have the stock yuasa battery right now, which is pretty much a motorcycle battery. im suprised it even cranks my car lol... The password jdm battery relocator uses an odyssey pc680 battery which is a sealed "gel"-type battery which has really high power:size ratio, as well as being kind of lightweight (15 lbs, 16lbs for one with a metal jacket). Im picking 1 up soon, since i work at Batteries Plus, i can get it nice and cheap. they retail for about $150.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Anyone know if optima makes a yellowtop that will fit in our fits?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the smallest optima yellow top is approximately 10" x 5" x 9" compared to the pc680 which is 7.25" x 3" x 6.5", so i would say no. That is if you're trying to replace your oem battery. You can always stick 1 in the trunk...

Edit: and the yellow top has over 500 cold cranking amps, whereas the pc680 has 220 (enough for our car)

Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Jimmy,
Check Summit Racing catalog for stainless steel battery boxes, wiring, dual battery isolators, etc. It's best to seal interior mounted batteries in a box that is vented to the outside unless you are using a truly sealed battery, to prevent gas build up and acid leaks in the car. Otherwise, another concern is very solid mounting- don't want the battery tearing loose in a crash. Summit and others have almost everything you would consider for battery relocation & safe mounting.
Thank Dave, I'll be looking into that

Old 03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
the smallest optima yellow top is approximately 10" x 5" x 9" compared to the pc680 which is 7.25" x 3" x 6.5", so i would say no. That is if you're trying to replace your oem battery. You can always stick 1 in the trunk...

Edit: and the yellow top has over 500 cold cranking amps, whereas the pc680 has 220 (enough for our car)
I believe we can use the Civic's batteries (most likely the "ek"). I'll bug my friend to check his battery

Old 03-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
Sealed Batteries are great. You don't have to worry about distilation. But crystalization does happen, but really slowly. Sealed batteries usually last about 5 years. Also, the owner's manual mentions something about a battery recharger on the fit. So basically, the fit should keep the battery recharged while the car is running to maximize the battery life. My only advice is if you want to keep your battery long as possible, don't drain the life out of it.

I'm aware of how fast they wear out when you deep cycle them too much, but thanks for the heads up.

Eventually I'm going to set up a dual battery system with an isolator and a second Stinger SPV35 in the back.

ed

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
I just check on the civics and the integra batteries. On the Civics' it's about 2 inches longer then the fit's about 1 inch shorter Sorry, I didn't have a ruler at the time, hence it just I eyeball it. As for height there about the same.

Last edited by Slimjimx701x; 03-04-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
i have replaced my battery. alhtough it is not a direct replacment, it works great, is less than half the weight of the OEM and the mounting location looks great (against teh fuse box) in the engine bay......besides that it compliments my passwordjdm intake very well. i definatly recomend this.

Password:JDM Battery Relocator (Fit) | JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM

pics installed:
Did you have to extend your battery cables or did they reach OK?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
^they reached fine. there is actually still some slack that i wire tied them up to make it a little more clean looking. that pic istn of my car...just off their site, but it looks similar.
ill try and get some pics of my car up soon.