Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Short Shift 4 free!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 AM
im with claymore. i love the idea and fof free there shouldnt be any bitches, moans, groans, or complaints. its not for everybody but im gonna do it so there is atleast one that gained from this thread so that makes me as crazy as you. haha

Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by limabean
Oh man tough crowd out here in Fit land. Here's some notes on my earlier post:
1) Balsa wood- now thats funny.
2)Ugly space between shifter and knob GONE.
3)Space needed for my arm to travel between wheel and shifter is 3/4 inch more. When I autocross however my hand is usually on the shifter most of the time so it doesn't bother me.
4)I'm not well hung so having my shifter shorter makes me feel like more of a man in comparison and that makes me drive faster.
5)The shifter is "harder" to throw but this is a honda. It still takes almost no effort.
6) Ok so maybe the throw is shorter only by 1/16 of inch. But hey it only cost a whopping free cents.
7)No need to remove any panels and it took less time than needed to write this.
8) So its ok to spend $400 to buy a cold-air intake to increase horsepower by 5% but if I shorten my throw by 5% for FREE I'm crazy?
9) No animals were hurt in this modification. No need to get so upset.
10) I'm gonna take the money I saved on that Skunk2 kit and go down To PepBoys so I can buy one of those fake chrome chain license plate frames, tint my back windows purple and leave the air bubbles in, and then cut some black electrical tape by hand to make a huge TYPE-R sticker. Just to drive you guys crazy. haha

Its not that people are hating that you're doing stuff to your car, **** if you want to put a big type are sticker made out of electrical tape, your the one who looks retarded not us.

Its that your claiming that you drilling your stock shift knob is a short shifter, and you did agree that it only shortened your throw by 1/16th of an inch, thats not 5%, thats more like .5%

Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
That is not a short shifter.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
at first i didn't like the gap between the boot and the knob, but now i use it to shift with just my index finger and thumb... sometimes.

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-20-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by yeamans17
Its not that people are hating that you're doing stuff to your car, **** if you want to put a big type are sticker made out of electrical tape, your the one who looks retarded not us.

Its that your claiming that you drilling your stock shift knob is a short shifter, and you did agree that it only shortened your throw by 1/16th of an inch, thats not 5%, thats more like .5%

You should go to a dictionary and look up the meaning of SARCASM

Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 AM

type are? (i take it you meant type r) who's looking retarted now. haha. im just messing. again either way everyone looks at it this is still a shortened throw for free and you cant beat a free mod, bottom line. yea it may only be 1/16" but its still shorter.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Bahumut
Yeah, that mod may shorten the length from gate-to-gate, but it doesn't reduce any effort on the throw itself, in fact it may make it worse.

That's one of the big benefits of an actual short shift lever. Less action = quicker shift times. If you were to take the stock lever and whittle it down to say, 2 inches in length, you would actually be making it HARDER to shift even though the length from each gate wouldn't be as long.
very true...
however you can also put a heavier knob on it that happens to be lower and then have yet again an easier throw. What you lost in leverage you can make up for in solidness and mass of throw... whether or not it will...idunno... have not done it...but its a thought.
...but maybe even more importantly it might just be more comfotable. For me the stock shift height is actually just a tad high for my everyday comfy use. So its mabe a combo of those ideas that makes it a rather simple yet practial thingymabob.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
very true...
however you can also put a heavier knob on it that happens to be lower and then have yet again an easier throw. What you lost in leverage you can make up for in solidness and mass of throw... whether or not it will...idunno... have not done it...but its a thought.
...but maybe even more importantly it might just be more comfotable. For me the stock shift height is actually just a tad high for my everyday comfy use. So its mabe a combo of those ideas that makes it a rather simple yet practial thingymabob.
the heavier knob on the stock shifter makes it feel really wierd. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't help to crispen up the shifter it makes it feel wobbly. I had my skunk 2 knob in the car for a while til I got my spoon knob, the lighter knob in the fit in my opinion feels the best.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
there's a thread... somewhere... i tried searching it... whatever. it was an old one... before anybody made a ss yet. dude made his own... a real ss tho. kinda funny cuz exactly how he described what he did... skunk2 came out with the same freakin design a year later... i thought that was odd... like skunk2 saw the thread and was like... shit... we need to make a ss quick cuz mugen already beat us to it and there the only one on the market... phuket... let's just steal this guys idea... LOL

Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
the heavier knob on the stock shifter makes it feel really wierd. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't help to crispen up the shifter it makes it feel wobbly. I had my skunk 2 knob in the car for a while till I got my spoon knob, the lighter knob in the fit in my opinion feels the best.
I hope I am not hijacking the thread with the continuation of this post but...
Yeamans- thats interesting as that is what I would have initially thought, and it makes sense. But recently I have tried a couple of heavier fits knobs (sounds dirty doesnt it haahaaa) and found them to be quite pleasant with the throw and no discernable wobble (which is what I had expected) It felt like it had a rather smooth dead "thunk" which is what I prefer. I would have assumed like many older MT's that they loosen up over time, but on newer vehicles they seem tighter longer. Idunno maybe it varies with the level of wear/play in the linkages...hmmm...

Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I hope I am not hijacking the thread with the continuation of this post but...
Yeamans- thats interesting as that is what I would have initially thought, and it makes sense. But recently I have tried a couple of heavier fits knobs (sounds dirty doesnt it haahaaa) and found them to be quite pleasant with the throw and no discernable wobble (which is what I had expected) It felt like it had a rather smooth dead "thunk" which is what I prefer. I would have assumed like many older MT's that they loosen up over time, but on newer vehicles they seem tighter longer. Idunno maybe it varies with the level of wear/play in the linkages...hmmm...

I think that could be true as well, I'm used to older cars, I haven't had a car that was newer than a 92 of my own til I bought the fit. I was making short shifters to fit 90-97 accords for a while, and ended up losing access to a welder. But I think that over time everything kinda wears a bit and loosens, on my accord shifter as soon as the throw was reduced it felt crisper, then I shortened the height of it and it became tougher to shift, so once I added the skunk2 knob the added weight felt really nice.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the write up limabean, but I think you can screw that shifter down a bit more. My shift boot seems to be 'swished' more than yours. I would make a mark 3" down the shifter and try to screw the knob down to it.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
It's just a homemade countersunk knob. Why's everyone so upset?

Shortening the shaft, using a lower knob, this isn't new stuff...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah, it looks way better, I tried it and its awesome, and best thing is its free yet improves look and feel

Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by limabean
4)I'm not well hung so having my shifter shorter makes me feel like more of a man in comparison and that makes me drive faster.
Who cares if it ain't a true short shifter, this man knows good humour. Bloody love it!