Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Aftermarket steering wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Aftermarket steering wheel install

***DISCLAIMER*** FIT FREAK NOR AM I NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MODIFICATIONS DONE TO YOUR CAR. THIS THREAD IS HERE ONLY TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR INSTALLATION

Ok my parts I used for this install was a nrg 2nd gen quick release with a momo tuner 320mm steering wheel. the Nrg products are sold under a fit but any dc5 hub will work with it.

first off you gotta remove your airbag and steering wheel. this will be a short write up because Ive installed my wheels like months ago. so follow these links.

Driver's Airbag Replacement

after taking your air bag off your wheel comes next

Steering Wheel Removal

now this is where it gets alittle difficult. you have to remove the reel, along with the cruise control,srs, and horn harness to place the NRG short hub on. If you bought a mugen boss hub then you dont need to do this step.

under the reel, inside the center. there is a little release clip, push that in with a screw driver to release it from the system that holds your turn and wiper levers, you can do this from the back, or open up your reel. *WARNING* when opening up your reel, make sure that you dont open up all the way. merely slide the reel top down, but keeping it flush with the reel itself. this prevents the reel from popping out and screwing up your srs, cruise control, and horn sensors. the pictures give better detail to what I am saying. to remove the reel center, there is a clip in the middle that has three clips, unclip those and it will release the cover. after that pull out the wire harness located on the back of the reel. from there its smooth sailing. install the hub onto the steering column, then the quick release follows.

NOW for the horn! this is easy, find a peice of copper or metal, something that can transfer and electrical signal. than get some wire, and drill it onto the column, make sure that the metal peice is hittin the back of your hub at all times. then cram that wire into the horn pin. it is pin #1, as shown on the pictures, i just hot glued mine down....

Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
nice writeup george! ey man soo sorry i've been busy lately. did u ever get that wire wired up for the gauges?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
nice writeup george! ey man soo sorry i've been busy lately. did u ever get that wire wired up for the gauges?
thanks, and its cool, im gonna hook them up this week. just waiting on my dash kit to come in to wire it up all at once

Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I do not see any benifits to a new steering wheel, I like my airbag.. I do see that you can remove it so your car cannot get stolen, but they can still get your stereo and stuff so you might as well keep your windows up and locked.

Nice Writeup though, one of the best I have seen..

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I do not see any benifits to a new steering wheel, I like my airbag.. I do see that you can remove it so your car cannot get stolen, but they can still get your stereo and stuff so you might as well keep your windows up and locked.

Nice Writeup though, one of the best I have seen..

yea we all have our opinions, I hated my stock steering wheel. I wanted something smaller and theft here in AZ is very high for hondas. stereos on our cars are not even worth taken so im not worried. but thx for the comments, It was just a quick write up. I have alot of members asking about it

Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
nice write up dude..
the cars i have driven (or been in) i think the fit sport (sport/base are the different?) steering wheel is pretty nice! i like all the little bumps and the overall feel is pretty sweet..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
yes! im going go get the personal 2 hand grips steering wheel and a small circle steering wheel. but first im going to find out how to wire up a cruise control set and on/off button on the side. because i use my cruise control a lot but do not want to loose it.

till then its my stock wheel for now...but im just waiting to do that install.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
yes! im going go get the personal 2 hand grips steering wheel and a small circle steering wheel. but first im going to find out how to wire up a cruise control set and on/off button on the side. because i use my cruise control a lot but do not want to loose it.

till then its my stock wheel for now...but im just waiting to do that install.
yea that wont be that hard. cruise control is on pin#'s 4 & 5