Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Prewinter Wax

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Prewinter Wax

I wonder how many people in here are gonna wax there car for the last the before winter hits. I have a question though, if i were to wax the car before winter. Do i have to make a 2 coat wax on my fit or is 1 coat good enough? Since im hoping this wax will last through the winter til next spring.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Good question - I 'll be looking for response on this one too. I am wondering if I should clay the Fit before winter sets in? If you clay do you need to rewash the car before you wax? I got the car in May and have waxed twice but noticed I am getting some swirls which is nuts because all I use are microfiber towels, the Absorber and microfiber wash mits. I am washing with Meguires car wash, use a clean bucket of water to rinse the mit clean have one for the top of the car and one for the bottom only and I am still get these darn swirls in spots.

Cat :x

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deezfit
I wonder how many people in here are gonna wax there car for the last the before winter hits. I have a question though, if i were to wax the car before winter. Do i have to make a 2 coat wax on my fit or is 1 coat good enough? Since im hoping this wax will last through the winter til next spring.

What brand of wax will you be using? Because realistically regardless of the amount of wax that you place on the vehicle, most waxes don't tend to last longer then a 2 month span, and even then that's expecting alot from a wax.

Also given that it'll be winter, you'll more then likely be washing the vehicle more often which will cause the wax to dissipate more rapidly, so you should wax your vehicle throughout the winter as well.

Originally Posted by Cat
Good question - I 'll be looking for response on this one too. I am wondering if I should clay the Fit before winter sets in? If you clay do you need to rewash the car before you wax? I got the car in May and have waxed twice but noticed I am getting some swirls which is nuts because all I use are microfiber towels, the Absorber and microfiber wash mits. I am washing with Meguires car wash, use a clean bucket of water to rinse the mit clean have one for the top of the car and one for the bottom only and I am still get these darn swirls in spots.

Cat :x
Honestly you really shouldn't clay bar your car often, once or twice (spring & fall) a year should suffice. However, it is generally a smart idea to do it during the fall before winter hits as you will help eliminate all the contaminates, such as road tar, and fall out from the paint that have built up over spring and summer that usually help attract dirt. Also you should technically rewash the vehicle after using a clay bar, as the detailing spray they provide you with to help lubricate the clay bar can tend to leave a milky film behind at times.

Lastly, even though you do infact use microfiber towels, if you don't tend buy the higher quality microfiber towels I find they can tend to leave swirl marks. Not only that but swirl marks are usually the result of just that, swirling. When wiping down your vehicle you should try and avoid this motion, and use more of a back and forth motion continually going in the same direction throughout the vehicle.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
really? waxing in the winter thats the first person i've heard saying something like that. Hmm sounds kinda interesting, but come winter time all the road debris and salt will not help the shine of the car since its gonna be covered in either that or snow. i meguar's gold shine wax btw

Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm sounds kinda interesting, but come winter time all the road debris and salt will not help the shine of the car since its gonna be covered in either that or snow.
And this is exactly why you should apply wax during the winter time, as it'll help cut down on the amount of road debris and salt that will adhere to the paint. However, when waxing in the winter months you'll of course have to find a warm sheltered place to do so otherwise the wax itself will freeze.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_EK3
And this is exactly why you should apply wax during the winter time, as it'll help cut down on the amount of road debris and salt that will adhere to the paint. However, when waxing in the winter months you'll of course have to find a warm sheltered place to do so otherwise the wax itself will freeze.

there in lies the problem i dont have a heater in my garage that is big enough to warm up the place. Unless placing 2-3 of the mini heaters in my attic will work. We'll see though.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
there in lies the problem i dont have a heater in my garage that is big enough to warm up the place. Unless placing 2-3 of the mini heaters in my attic will work. We'll see though.
Just take your vehicle to an indoor heated wand washing facility and apply the wax there while in the process of cleaning your vehicle. I actually do this once or twice a winter depending on conditions.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Another option is to use a synthetic wax prior to winter. They don't give you as pretty of a finish, but protect the paint longer.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I use zaino on my car, works fairly well and looks great right after I finish applying.. then it usually rains the next day.

Just redid it the other day for the winter and bird poop hasn't left any aftermarks even though I left some on there for a good amount of time (geese flying south carpet bombing the city).

I got the quick zaino AIO (all in one) and sealant.. I'm far too lazy to apply their usual product line heh.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
i'll probably wax my car this weekend and try my buddies has that turtle ice stuff. He swears by it saying how easy it is which i do believe from seeing those constant commericials on the speed channel. Im probably gonna give it a go with that wax once im at his house. then i'll put another layer of meguars gold wax on the car later just to seal the deal.