Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
got the stant locking gas cap about last june with no problems..got it from walmart.. love it so far..no problems with keys on fender and no light come on yet.. dont have tether which am glad dont want gas cap hanging down on my fender rubbing the hi quality honda paint anyways.
got it for around 12 bucks ..love it

Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the correct stant part #, saved me some money.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, for those of us in Calgary, I found some local retailers that carry this part. Stant Locking Gas Cap #11507 (cardboard and blisterpack) or #10507 (in a box) are available at Bumber to Bumper or Parts Unlimited.

I got #10507 from Parts Unlimited on 33st NE and installed it just now. No warning lights, fits like a dream. (no pun intended).

Including GST it was $17. I used my ignition key to push in the pin to remove the tether and the old cap. Parts Unlimited had it in stock and the guys were good to work with. Also, it was the cheapest I could find this part in town.

Last edited by Perihelion; 03-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Ok, for those of us in Calgary, I found some local retailers that carry this part. Stant Locking Gas Cap #11057 (cardboard and blisterpack) or #10507 (in a box) are available at Bumber to Bumper or Parts Unlimited.

I got #10507 from Parts Unlimited on 33st NE and installed it just now. No warning lights, fits like a dream. (no pun intended).

Including GST it was $17. I used my ignition key to push in the pin to remove the tether and the old cap. Parts Unlimited had it in stock and the guys were good to work with. Also, it was the cheapest I could find this part in town.
Good choice- (I bought the OEM one on eBay), but there's no such thing as too much security.
Suggestion: if you carry a lot of keys as I do, don't add the gas cap key to the mass in your pocket. Having your key collection raking across your paint will cause you grief.

Use industrial strength velcro to hold you gas cap key to the side of your dash. Peel it off, refuel, stick it back. It will be there if your wife/gf/other drives the car and needs gas. No scratched paint. Use the hook Velcro on the side of the dash, wrap the head of the key with the soft loop material.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I bought a locking gas cap (that's specified for my fit) about 1.5 months ago (don't remember the brand) from autozone. It was working very well... today, however...I got the "check gas cap" message on my odometer lcd.... what do I do now???

Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Good choice- (I bought the OEM one on eBay), but there's no such thing as too much security.
Suggestion: if you carry a lot of keys as I do, don't add the gas cap key to the mass in your pocket. Having your key collection raking across your paint will cause you grief.

Use industrial strength velcro to hold you gas cap key to the side of your dash. Peel it off, refuel, stick it back. It will be there if your wife/gf/other drives the car and needs gas. No scratched paint. Use the hook Velcro on the side of the dash, wrap the head of the key with the soft loop material.
I just put my gas cap key in the coin tray and wedge a beanie in there.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Anyone know why "checkmate" would decide it suddenly didn't like her gascap or how to fix / reset this???

Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
cas gap code takes 2 full drive cycles to come on, but it may be loose or the seal on the cap is no good.. id get the oem cap but maybe you can smear a lil silicone grease on the seal. it may take 2 more full cycles to go away though

Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks 4 your help +1 rep for you!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 AM
After finding both gas doors open one morning last week, I went to O'Reiley's to get a locking cap for our Yukon XL and the Fit. The counter guy said there wasn't a cap available for the Fit, so I just had him order the one for the GMC. To my surprise, the box contained two caps (for $17). For the heck of it, and honestly not expecting it to fit, I tried the extra one on the Fit and it actually worked. No lights of messages so far.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
i had mine on my fit for about 8 mths then it gave me the filler cap message also what i had to do was park turn off engine remove cap....leave off for couple mins then put back on and make sure tight by clicking bout 5 times around then restart engine and it went away and been off for liek 5 months now

Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll try that b4 I leave work tonight!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
i had the stat one and the guy in the gas station dropped mine Nj parkway set off the gas cap code i was pissed havent used one since but hey i got to use my scan gauge to see the code and clear it LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I avoid bad areas on weekends Although I had a friend who got his car sugared at one of the train station parking lots.

My car spends the week in a secure climate controlled UG parkade parked beside a coupe of Austin Martin's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Bentley's & a lone Rolls Royce among other token BMW's and Audi's I could never afford... I even think there is an white R8 down there somewhere.

lol, it feels like a car musem or something! My favorite car is def the blue 78' Porsche So much character!

Anyway, back on topic I have no concerns about my car down there

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Wish I had a nice place to put my fit. My wife's car, my conquest, & my p/u all got vandalized by a neighborhood punk a few months ago. Now I have video surveillance. (Don't know if you can tell by my sig. pics, but my property is all on a hill (3 retaining walls & slopes down to a creek). Anyway I can either park in the street , or crowd my cars up.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have already tasted the bitter for my time, nothing but the best for my baby now.

My past cars have had punks try to kick the windows in, egged, broken into and even rammed by other cars by punk ass kids trying to do damage

Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
It's amazing how many soulless losers are in the world! (Even if I don't like someone... I don't mess w/ his ride!!)

Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
the cylinder is not installed in the cap so i took it apart and changed the tumblers (i work at the acura dealer and borrowed the set from our sister shop) but i rekeyed my element one at home by taking it apart, mixing and matching or filing down tumblers that stick out, its not that bad, cuz its not critical to have all of them in, i think i left out 1 of them

Just got my OEM Locking gas cap, any tips/pictures on opening the cylinder up to change the tumblers around to match the egnition key? I don't want to break it before I even get a chance to use it...

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I got the OEM cap. I can't get the tumbler to engage into the gas cap. Any tips? Yes, i lined it up!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I finally got it to work. I don't know why, but this diagram helped.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ele...kinggascap.pdf

Quick Reply: locking gas cap?