Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

SWIRL Marks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the help

i can't remember the last time there was good weather and i had nothing to do the whole day to wash my car so i'm gonna wait til' it starts to clear up or have a day off and buy that stuff

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azncarbos
ice is great products I use their car wash soap...but for swirl marks...i would recommend...3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover..that the stuff...it lil $$$ for a bottle but totally worth the $$$
eh.. ICE products are just a "cover up". its the cheap easy way to "remove" swirls. meanwhile, the wax and anythign else will wash off in a matter of a couple weeks. they may be easy to apply, but they dont last long.

my last car had a swirl problem fromt eh dealer. the best fix to it for me was the mequires 3 step. however, i would only do steps 3 and 2 and i would finish it off with a coat of zaino. the zaino finish would last at least 4 months before i would see any change in the water beading.
1. wash
2. claybar
3. meguires step3
4. meguires step2
5. zaino

plan an entire day, even with a porter-cable 7424. but the results are will worth it. if doing by hand, do not use a circular motion, use long stokes along the body lines of the car. and use good quality microfiber towles....not all microfiber is equal.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
eh.. ICE products are just a "cover up". its the cheap easy way to "remove" swirls. meanwhile, the wax and anythign else will wash off in a matter of a couple weeks. they may be easy to apply, but they dont last long.
That's the truth about most swirl products....they are mainly filler products that give a temporary illusion of a swirl free finish.

Really anyone who is serious about their car should have a PC. They are inexpensive, a snap to use and, as Nighthawk said, you can just devote a day to restoring your finish every 6-12 months. It will look better than it did at delivery.

The other key is getting good product...meaning likely not going to the local parts/accessories store. Megs and 3M have some good polishes and glazes that might be found locally, but Menzerna's Intensive and/or Final Polish makes a very impressive tandem for defeating swirls (along with others you won't find at PepBoys). This step determines the clarity and depth of the finish, so good product + PC = outstanding results.

Just don't forget to protect with a good sealant (Zaino, Werkstatt, Klasse, Menzerna FMJ) or carny wax (hard to beat s100 for value and quality).

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Smile

Swirl Marks-
All swirl marks on cars/trucks are from individuals using the wrong material to dry and detail there cars/trucks.
There are alot of people out there still using COTTON products to dry / clean / detail there investments. I can speak from experience and expertise on this one being I specialize in manufacturing and providing superior microfiber products.
Basically in a nut shell all and every towel is some kind of way is cotton......MICROFIBER should be the only material you use on your investment. It is a proven fact that microfiber is 100% NON-ABRASIVE on any surface. Reason being simply put, cotton's fibers DO NOT pick up dust, dirt, grime & sand.....it simply pushes it around while your drying/detailing your car/truck. In the long run....YES you will begin to see swirl marks and YES they will continue to get worse.
My microfiber products are the most superior cloth you can use! Simply put my microfiber's fibers are split soooo fine that all and every particle it drags across is sucked up into the towel so it can NEVER scratch your pride and joy!!!
In ending please check out my information & GB thread located below my signature line......it will be the best investment you make to torward your car/truck....BAR NONE. This would be a starting point in salvaging SWIRL MARK CITY!!!

P.S....if you think your swirl marks look bad, check them out in direct sunlight.....they will be intensified 100%

hope this helps everyone

ttyl tonyd

Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
Swirl Marks-
All swirl marks on cars/trucks are from individuals using the wrong material to dry and detail there cars/trucks.
There are alot of people out there still using COTTON products to dry / clean / detail there investments. I can speak from experience and expertise on this one being I specialize in manufacturing and providing superior microfiber products.
Basically in a nut shell all and every towel is some kind of way is cotton......MICROFIBER should be the only material you use on your investment. It is a proven fact that microfiber is 100% NON-ABRASIVE on any surface. Reason being simply put, cotton's fibers DO NOT pick up dust, dirt, grime & sand.....it simply pushes it around while your drying/detailing your car/truck. In the long run....YES you will begin to see swirl marks and YES they will continue to get worse.
My microfiber products are the most superior cloth you can use! Simply put my microfiber's fibers are split soooo fine that all and every particle it drags across is sucked up into the towel so it can NEVER scratch your pride and joy!!!
In ending please check out my information & GB thread located below my signature line......it will be the best investment you make to torward your car/truck....BAR NONE. This would be a starting point in salvaging SWIRL MARK CITY!!!

P.S....if you think your swirl marks look bad, check them out in direct sunlight.....they will be intensified 100%

hope this helps everyone

ttyl tonyd
With all due respect my swirl marks are not the cause of cotton towels or the wrong prep materials. I've used nothing but microfiber towels and professional grade washes/waxes. My ride has never seen the inside of a brush carwash and I've taken all the care I can w/ regards to this finish and it's not helped.

The paint on this car is total shit.

I made the giant mistake of picking black and you're right, in total sunlight I can barely stand to look at it. With it finally getting a little warmer out and the abuse of our Michigan winter (hopefully) over, I'll focus again on doing what I can to limit the damage but it's an uphill battle.

This topic is a real sore spot for me so you'll excuse me if this comes out a little mean-spirited. And while I fully recognize that you have every right to pitch your product here, I take offense to your saying that whatever we are using to clean our cars with is the sole contributing factor to the swirls. I think 90% of us already know and understand that microfiber is the only way to go when cleaning.

If you're going to post to this particular thread how about giving us something a little more constructive.

Cheers.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by mwhyte72
With all due respect my swirl marks are not the cause of cotton towels or the wrong prep materials. I've used nothing but microfiber towels and professional grade washes/waxes. My ride has never seen the inside of a brush carwash and I've taken all the care I can w/ regards to this finish and it's not helped.

The paint on this car is total shit.

I made the giant mistake of picking black and you're right, in total sunlight I can barely stand to look at it. With it finally getting a little warmer out and the abuse of our Michigan winter (hopefully) over, I'll focus again on doing what I can to limit the damage but it's an uphill battle.

This topic is a real sore spot for me so you'll excuse me if this comes out a little mean-spirited. And while I fully recognize that you have every right to pitch your product here, I take offense to your saying that whatever we are using to clean our cars with is the sole contributing factor to the swirls. I think 90% of us already know and understand that microfiber is the only way to go when cleaning.

If you're going to post to this particular thread how about giving us something a little more constructive.

Cheers.
Hey-
You actually brought up a extremely GREAT point. It is good you are using microfiber.....but ALL microfiber is not created equal and can actually scratch your FIT.
The manufacturing process is extremely important when making microfiber. As I have stated when the fibers are split during a chemical process, they can be OVER processed and UNDER processed. Both microfibers will DO HARM to your car and in scratching n scuffing.
Please read my thread and you will understand more.....I am just trying to help you with your situation.....it's the microfiber and what ever else you have wiped your FIT with.....swirl marks come from a wiping motion. Alot of times that pad they give you with the wax your using.....it sux! It breeds scratch marks....I hope this helps a bit more.

ttyl tony

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
Swirl Marks-

hope this helps everyone

ttyl tonyd
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

at least someone else on here understands that it isn't about the paint, it's the owner/detailer. paint doesn't have swirl marks in it from being sprayed. even if you repaint your car, YOU are the one putting swirl marks in it.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Your 1st, 2nd and 3rd Critical Hand Wash

Bottom line in ensuring zero to very little amount of swirl marks starts on the first day of you purchased your Fit and the 1st/2nd/3rd handwash.

My experience on the first day was carefully inspecting the car from top to bottom and from front to back. Yes, I'm anal . I was lucky to find no surface spiderwebs (swirl marks) on my Fit when I bought it. If I did, you bet your @$$ I'd demand another one. Come to find out my base Fit was recently delivered and stored at another dealership which never sat long enough out on the parking lot to collect dirt and dust and be carwashed by some crappy "wannabe" detailer. Check the invoice paper for the delivery date and you'll see how long it's been sitting at the dealership.

Second, after attending a car clinic sponsored by the dealership, they told us that the paint and clear coat on the brand new purchased Hondas are yet to be 100% dry. Depending on the weather and temperature, it could take 1 to 2 weeks for it to be really dry.

Your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wash is the most critical part in preventing swirl marks. Make sure to have three separate buckets of water for washing and two different microfiber wash mittens. I'll make this reply short but will post a DIY thread later. Two buckets will have your soap water and one will be just a clean water. The first soapy bucket of water will be for the upper part of the car and the other soapy bucket will be for the lower part of the car. In between using your soapy mitten, you MUST rinse your mitten before starting another part of the car. Keep in mind to wash starting from the top. Once the upper part of the car is wash, start next on the lower part of the car with the other mitten. I suggest having two different color so you know which one is for the top and which one is for the bottom of the car. I know, this can be timely, but it will definately remove tons of dirt from contaminating your mittens and bucket of water thus scratching and creating swirl marks on your newly purchased Fit.

Last edited by 1LegitFit; 04-01-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: left out a word or two.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by 1LegitFit
Bottom line in ensuring zero to very little amount of swirl marks starts on the first day of you purchased your Fit and the 1st/2nd/3rd handwash.

My experience on the first day was carefully inspecting the car from top to bottom and from front to back. Yes, I'm anal . I was lucky to find no surface spiderwebs (swirl marks) on my Fit when I bought it. If I did, you bet your @$$ I'd demand another one. Come to find out my base Fit was recently delivered and stored at another dealership which never sat long enough out on the parking lot to collect dirt and dust and be carwashed by some crappy "wannabe" detailer. Check the invoice paper for the delivery date and you'll see how long it's been sitting at the dealership.

Second, after attending a car clinic sponsored by the dealership, they told us that the paint and clear coat on the brand new purchased Hondas are yet to be 100% dry. Depending on the weather and temperature, it could take 1 to 2 weeks for it to be really dry.

Your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wash is the most critical part in preventing swirl marks. Make sure to have three separate buckets of water for washing and two different microfiber wash mittens. I'll make this reply short but will post a DIY thread later. Two buckets will have your soap water and one will be just a clean water. The first soapy bucket of water will be for the upper part of the car and the other soapy bucket will be for the lower part of the car. In between using your soapy mitten, you MUST rinse your mitten before starting another part of the car. Keep in mind to wash starting from the top. Once the upper part of the car is wash, start next on the lower part of the car with the other mitten. I suggest having two different color so you know which one is for the top and which one is for the bottom of the car. I know, this can be timely, but it will definately remove tons of dirt from contaminating your mittens and bucket of water thus scratching and creating swirl marks on your newly purchased Fit.
Hey-
The bottom line is if you are using a BAD wiping product....NO matter what.....sorry, but you are going to have swirl marks! I DO NOT agree with all of your steps either....way too many.
The microfiber mitt should be rinsed under warm water during scrubbing of your car. Warm water loosens the filliments in microfiber and the dirt is released. So in other words a clean rinsed mitt should always be re-dunked into the only soapy bucket, therefore keeping it clean. U do not need 2 buckets.
Listen Guys-
Microfiber was made to make life easier....take advantage!

P.S....if your microfiber is not releasing the dirt during a rinse.....you should consider a better product. Hope this helps.

ttyl tony

Old 04-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by solbrothers
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

at least someone else on here understands that it isn't about the paint, it's the owner/detailer. paint doesn't have swirl marks in it from being sprayed. even if you repaint your car, YOU are the one putting swirl marks in it.
Right when i bought my car. They took it back for the "free wash" before you take home. I got it home and saw mega swirl action. So from day one ive had swirls..Totall BUMMER! Tony you should start selling to dealers direct haha. At least now i have Tony towels to use on my cars.

Tyler

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by TOOL
Right when i bought my car. They took it back for the "free wash" before you take home. I got it home and saw mega swirl action. So from day one ive had swirls..Totall BUMMER! Tony you should start selling to dealers direct haha. At least now i have Tony towels to use on my cars.

Tyler
Hey Tyler-
Sorry to hear about your swirlies....at least you will not add any more with my microfiber's . My company is extremely large so we mainly market and work closely with distributors like Meguiar's, Mother's etc.
But I got U and FITFREAKER's covered...

Everyone-
So everyone one this site should take advantage of these kits....normally for the great product...you would be paying out the waaaazzzzuuuuu.lol Since FITFREAK is factory direct with me....everyone here has the BEST PRICES and BEST MICROFIBER for the money.

Everyone should take advantage while this offer still lasts!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL

Tyler

tyler, do you know who details at dealers? crackheads and such. for real.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
been doing some detailing myself trying different products over the years.

some real basic comments:

1) not all MF towels are the same. you have to use the right towel to dry, such as high quality waffleweave towels. if you're not going to apply spray type wax such as Prima Hydro,
blot dry for sure. it is part product quality, it is part technique.

2) Use the proper shampoo to water ratio, minium 5gallons, use grit guard.

3) Use double bucket method (one shampoo bucket, one rinse bucket to wash mitt after each app) if it's your baby'ed car.

4) NEVER scrub your paint with your wash mitt. only make one pass.

5) Wash in the shade as much as possible, dont let shampoo air dry.

6) Use plenty of water to wet down the car and remove dust prior to the wash.

7) Use plenty of slow flowing water to rinse, no shower mode. majority of the water will roll off.

8) QD areas that need final attention using high quality QD's and high quality towels. Platinum MF towels, Prima Slick, Griot's SpeedShine.

visit this site for more info: ShowCarDetailing

sites i use for my detailing needs:
Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing
Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned
claybar is teh friend!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
one reason y i wud avoid dark color cars, my cous detailed his car for a whole week in the garage, one day later an swirls appeared.. best way to use a pc get them out...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned
yeah ssm's always look clean.. kinda