Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tried out the Mr. Clean AutoDry stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Tried out the Mr. Clean AutoDry stuff...

So I got the Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash starter kit the other day. I was kinda skeptical, but who isn't when it comes to this sort of thing?

Anyway, I washed my car by hand, then did the steps of the AutoDry procedure: Rinse, AutoDry soap, Rinse, Mist

And, well, it worked! Although i did notice something that affects the drying process: don't have any part of the car in the sun. The system works best when the entire car is in the shade, otherwise the heat of the sun will dry the soap residue (which helps keep the water as a huge sheet instead of forming droplets) and the water prematurely and leave drip marks.

overall, definitely something to get for those who are worried about swirl marks (remember, you don't dry it by hand, so that cuts the amount of swirls in half!)

(sorry, no pics)

Old 08-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I tried the Autodry stuff a few times with the V and found that for what it is the concept is there. But I am just too keen on a wool wash mitt and the absorber that I use to dry it off. But for days when I am trying to get to a meet in a hurry I will use the autodry to save some time.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Versa2nr
I tried the Autodry stuff a few times with the V and found that for what it is the concept is there. But I am just too keen on a wool wash mitt and the absorber that I use to dry it off. But for days when I am trying to get to a meet in a hurry I will use the autodry to save some time.
I used the Auto Dry system for about a year. For the last six months of that, used it on my Fit. After one year of use, the spray gun of this system broke (without being dropped- just came apart inside) and now it can't hold any water pressure when shut off. As long as the hose has pressure the spray gun continues to leak. No big deal, but as long as water flows through the filter in the spray gun, it shortens the life of the filter which is the heart of the "no water spots" premise. As I previously posted, I switched from this very expensive, but useful, system to the less expensive but equally effective Turtle Wax Ice system of wash detergent and polish. Using this system, no water spots here either.

Last edited by manxman; 08-05-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
ive used the autodry mr. clean soap refill as normal as i would with any other soap, and it works same, spotless with a good shine. IMO,that spray gun and filter sh!t is to revolutionize "the way to wash your car" and make you spend more. The soap is the real thing here.
Cars are really recommended to be washed at low sun or at shades

Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fits_all
ive used the autodry mr. clean soap refill as normal as i would with any other soap, and it works same, spotless with a good shine. IMO,that spray gun and filter sh!t is to revolutionize "the way to wash your car" and make you spend more. The soap is the real thing here.
Cars are really recommended to be washed at low sun or at shades
Which is also when all the mosquitoes come out!

West Nile Virus HUZZAH! /sarcasm

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I've used it a couple of years now. Usually cannot avoid direct sun, but the only problem with dried soap is on the windows. The only wax I have found that works well in the sun is the Ice stuff.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
Which is also when all the mosquitoes come out!

West Nile Virus HUZZAH! /sarcasm
the mosquitoes come out at dark, thats why i did not said to wash the car @ night. Also at night, you wont finish drying it unless its 100 degrees. Thats why its better in shades during a hot day, or when the sun is starting to go down, depending the hour it blacks out in your area...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
In Memphis, the mosquitoes come out a few hours before sundown. I was washing my car at around 3:30p and still got at least 4 bites.

And it's about 100 degrees outside too :-P greeeeat

Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
In Memphis, the mosquitoes come out a few hours before sundown. I was washing my car at around 3:30p and still got at least 4 bites.

And it's about 100 degrees outside too :-P greeeeat
LoL...well, here they come out like 6-7p.m. and i mean the ones that like to stick to the light. But those suckers love my taffeta when its mad clean and shining..they stick to it covering it all over the car, i mean, mostly u know... I even have one of those flies inside the goddamn headlight..its funny but so annoying when having the car completely clean but with that stupid thing inside the white housing of the headlight. Take it as an advise though, dont ever let your car without the protection boot in the bulbs. My HID bulbs are fatter than stock and couldnt put the boots back on hence the f*ckin fly in the headlight.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Jus 4 Clarification

This technology of auto dry is very simple... Purified or ionized h2o(water). It has nothing to do with soap or how you apply it. You can use regular water to start washing the car but when you spray the soap off, you must use the purified water.
I work for a dealership in hawaii and we only use the purified water to wash down the soap. No need to wipe the car just drive around the block a few times and "wallaah". SPOT FREE SHINE.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I have used this on my Girlfriends TSX and it works pretty good for her car, but i dont think ill ever use it on mine haha.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
It also works its best when the car is nice and waxed. My dad uses this anytime he washes his truck.
Id rather dry my car. Doesnt bother me at all.

Originally Posted by 8o8diff
No need to wipe the car just drive around the block a few times and "wallaah". SPOT FREE SHINE.
If you do that the rear of the Fit gets all sandy.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you blot dry you wont get any swirls from drying.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
After washing, I always use a leaf blower to get all the water off my car and out of the cracks, mirrors, door handles, wipers, spoiler, license plate mount, grill, engine bay, etc. It works great. just go over it with an absorber or towel afterwards to catch the excess. Auto car washes use blowers at the end, why not use your own, right?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
cool im going to try this! if it has nothing to do with the soap, could i use like a different brand soap and pop it in and use it? or should i just stick with the refill?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
It says to use the refill soap because other soaps may be too thick and clog up.

Last edited by cojaro; 04-13-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i had such a bad day after using that thing
the whole thing is way huge-
and the water barely comes out-
i like lots of suds and soap and there was barely any-
but all in all- the filtered water is what sells it i think=
maybe just make a filter for your hose and call it a day

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
The only thing you should use the auto dry for is the final rinse.

Just get a bucket and add your usual car wash stuff and wash your car as usual....after I've rinsed off everything with the hose, I used to use the autodry at that point and give the car one more rinse...

But i've given up using it as other say, it's big and cumbersome...

Started using the jelly blade and i love it!!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mugen_Dom

Started using the jelly blade and i love it!!
looks cool but -- its ok on paint?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by billmus86
looks cool but -- its ok on paint?
So far so good. I wrap it in a clean microfibre cloth when I store it and I wash it off with water before using it....also, run my fingers on the blade just to make sure there's no particles before wiping..

Haven't seen any scratches on the paint from it and I find it works really well after a good waxing!!

Quick Reply: Tried out the Mr. Clean AutoDry stuff...