Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

MT oil change-over to RED LINE oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
MT oil change-over to RED LINE oil

Was thinking of putting "Red Line" brand racing oil in the MT after a little break in time,,,,what do you peps say?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I had redline in my m3, m roadster, evo8 that I've had. Prob will have it in my fit too...

Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned
Red Line (from Martinez, CA) is a product line aimed mainly at the racing market, where lubricants are changed much more frequently than regular maintenance schedules from auto makers owner's manuals. The main shortcoming in it being used in a daily driver is, it gets dirty faster than other synthetic brands such as Amsoil. Financial result- Amsoil costs less due to longer service life. Most synthetic brands give better wear resistance than any mineral oil.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
should point out that I spend 6.5 hours one way to work at 80MPH. once to work and once back home per week,,,85% of it is freeway, the other 15 % is mountain driving,,,I knew I could get some varied views on the subject,,,thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Supposedly the Honda MTF is a good blend...balanced between the needs of the gears (slippery = GOOD) and the synchonizers (slippery = NOT SO GOOD).

I changed out the MTF in my CR-V after 15K miles with the NEW Honda MTF stuff. Also added a couple ounces of 5W-20 Synthetic motor oil (which is noticeably MORE slippery than the Honda MTF). Darn if the shifting isn't easier now. No shifting or synchonizer problems after 10K miles.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
any particular weight , viscosity you guys think I should use for extended highway use?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Red Line (from Martinez, CA) is a product line aimed mainly at the racing market, where lubricants are changed much more frequently than regular maintenance schedules from auto makers owner's manuals. The main shortcoming in it being used in a daily driver is, it gets dirty faster than other synthetic brands such as Amsoil. Financial result- Amsoil costs less due to longer service life. Most synthetic brands give better wear resistance than any mineral oil.
I've been thinkin of your reply for a few days trying to understand the part about the Red Line oil getting dirtier quicker. Please explain this to me. I don't understand how in a closed system the type of oil can make the difference in how clean or dirty the oil gets. There should be the same amount of dirt/grime with one oil verses another (the dirt coming from the tranny , not the type oil) , and seeing how there is no filter to clean it how can brand name make a difference? Are you refferring to how quick one oil breaks down compared to another? I'm thinkin a racing oil is more suited to the constant high pressure assosiated with my type of driving and maybe better resistance to foaming. While being able to go the same (and prolly longer since it synthetic) amount of service time between oil changes compared to the OEM oil used. Not knocking your opinion,,,just need you to convience me better that your right,,,, BTW Amsoil has a racing background also yes ?

Last edited by grouser; 07-03-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grouser
I don't understand how in a closed system the type of oil can make the difference in how clean or dirty the oil gets. There should be the same amount of dirt/grime with one oil verses another (the dirt coming from the tranny , not the type oil) , and seeing how there is no filter to clean it how can brand name make a difference?
I don't understand, either...

Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
This statement is true for motor oils. A RACING oil will have less detergents (for example) in its additive package than a STREET oil because it is assumed it will be drained and replaced every race or two.

That said, a lubricant designed for a transmission will have different additives than for a motor or differential. The uses are different.

I still stand by my earlier post, the Honda MTF formula is Good Stuff and should be all you would need in a street car.

Honda is famous for using Engineered Fluids in it's mechanisms. Not just stuff they buy off-the-shelf.