Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to mitigate ill effects of short trips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 PM
May 2007 Fit of the Month Winner.
Question How to mitigate ill effects of short trips?

All you engineers out there.....I pose this question.

I live less than a mile from work. I know I should be walking or riding my bike, but otherwise how can I mitigate the ill effects of driving such short distances? I know that when the engine does not reach operating temperature it's more likely that condensation can develop in many places (oil, exhaust system, etc.).

Are there some "best practices" that I can follow to reduce problems with my short commutes?

I have been thinking about using a remote starter to run the car for 15 or so minutes before I drive to work, but I worry that the long idle times may be bad as well.

I have also thought about a block heater but not sure if that's a good year-round solution.

I have also found this nifty oil filter system (Frantz Oil Filter/Cleaner) that removes water from the oil We Filter It! - Products

What about specialty oils or additives?

Any other maintenance issues to consider?

I do plan to take the "long way" to work in the morning and drive 10 to 15 minutes, but I do go home for lunch so I have the potential for 1 long trip and 3 short trips every day.

Your comments are appreciated.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
nothing special needed. Synthetic oil would help on cold starts and short trips. No need to warm up engine, just go easy until the green temp light goes off. Newer engines are made to tolerate the average commuter. Most non-auto minded folks just start car and go, and thats what cars are built to handle now.