Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

OIL, filter, maintance minder questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
all of my vehicles usually have 3 filter/oil changes by 1500 for metal shavings alone. My 600RR needed a bunch of oil changes for initial break in. The fit had much less particles in it than any other vehicle I have seen, and the oil was pretty clean too. I thought it was going to be darker with more debris. Anyone using filter magnets or magnetic drain plugs?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Here's what the Fit factory filter looks like after 4500 miles
It's loaded with:
metal, RTV
Gasket

LMAO of those stupid enough to go to 15% on the 1st
That's fine but it looks to me that the filter did it's job. What was in the oil?

$100 says you don't keep the car long enough where this would make a difference anyway. Most people don't, you may.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I apologize ahead if this is redundant...

I understand that the recommended viscosity is 5-20W or 5-30W. I have some a few 10-30s/10-40s Mobil-1s left overs from my old Honda... I was wondering if I can mix in 1 qt of the 10-30W or 10-40W each oil change. Will that make any difference??? Any negative effect???

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ArdentAzn
I apologize ahead if this is redundant...

I understand that the recommended viscosity is 5-20W or 5-30W. I have some a few 10-30s/10-40s Mobil-1s left overs from my old Honda... I was wondering if I can mix in 1 qt of the 10-30W or 10-40W each oil change. Will that make any difference??? Any negative effect???

Thanks!
I think you would be OK. (I'm not the warranty manager, though. )

Some older Hondas suffered VTEC solenoid malfunctions when heavier oil was used, so if I were you, I'd save the heavy stuff for hot weather.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 PM
First I've heard...

I noticed info from Honda's owner link website that shows the MM "A" alerts owner to change oil only. Where MM "B" indicates oil and filter should be changed. This is the first time I have heard of changing the oil without changing the filter ! Is this something new or characteristic of Honda engines? I feel like I want to make sure both oil and filter are changed at every oil service interval.

Anyone have any opinions on this to share . Very much appreciated .

I have yet to see the convenience of the MM system.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somdamon
This is the first time I have heard of changing the oil without changing the filter ! Is this something new or characteristic of Honda engines? I feel like I want to make sure both oil and filter are changed at every oil service interval.

Our '06 service schedule recommends every-other-change filter replacements. If you are on the NORMAL schedule, that's once every 20,000 miles.

I have seen that on other makes' recommendations as well.

Since the widespread adaption of roller cam followers there seems to be much less metallic contamination in the oil.

I still change my filters every oil change. Just a habit.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Our '06 service schedule recommends every-other-change filter replacements. If you are on the NORMAL schedule, that's once every 20,000 miles.

Since the widespread adaption of roller cam followers there seems to be much less metallic contamination in the oil.

I change my filter every oil change too.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Thanks for the info. I guess I will make sure the dealer understands that I want a new filter with my oil change and trust that it will be done.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somdamon
Thanks for the info. I guess I will make sure the dealer understands that I want a new filter with my oil change and trust that it will be done.
I change oil filter with every change. Seems silly not to, but I also let the "oil life" go to 10-5% before changing it, which so far is always a shade over 7000 miles. This seems like a long interval even though I do use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Guess I'll see in a few years, huh? Besides, I'll be ready for a new one by then though I definitely like 1st gen Fits better than the 2nd.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Here's a fun one: How do you reset the maintenance minder once it's gone into negative mileage? (past 0% for the oil indicator). I can't find the procedure in the service manual, or using the search function. I've tried holding the trip button and then turning the car 'on' while still holding it but that didn't do it.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Aceldama
Here's a fun one: How do you reset the maintenance minder once it's gone into negative mileage? (past 0% for the oil indicator). I can't find the procedure in the service manual, or using the search function. I've tried holding the trip button and then turning the car 'on' while still holding it but that didn't do it.

Thanks.

After screwing around with a number of methods it seems that the original method for resetting the oil % works. But I do feel I had to hold the button for longer than 10 seconds to get the text to blink... or I'm just an idiot.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The oil light reset is kind of a BlTCH on the fit. It doesn't always take the first or second try. I always change oil AND filter regardless on the car, even if it says just oil. Not worth risking it IMO. I will gladly pay 7bux for a filter. Just finally switched to synthetic oil too, and even with 7k miles since last oil change, the oil was pretty clean. I'm at 28k miles after my vegas trip. Car is chuggin along happy as a clam

Old 06-28-2009, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
I just did the 1st oil change at 7,950 mi. after the 15% light came on earlier this week. I noticed that I had to let off the reset button when the display started blinking and then hold it for 10 seconds to reset.
FWIW

Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
HID Addict
replacing O-ring question

where can i find o-rings for the oil change other than the honda dealership, something a bit more "oomph" than oem. idk even know if theres after market o-rings -shrugs-

edit: also forgot to ask, the washer for the drain should be replaced, is it a special washer like automotive washer? or a simple washer i can buy from home depot/lowe's?

Last edited by Rubba Burna; 07-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
/\ /\ /\ /\ Autozone. Take one with you for sizing.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 PM
HID Addict
for the washer or o-ring? and how am i suppose to drive the car if the oil-change isnt complete without either piece lol

Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
for the washer or o-ring? and how am i suppose to drive the car if the oil-change isnt complete without either piece lol
There are several options. Drive to Autozone in another car, get a friend (if you have one) or neighbor to drive you to Autozone, get the first one from a dealer, then take it to Autozone to match or use that first one for an oil change then take the identical one that you took off to Autozone for a match, measure the inside diameter then take that measurement to Autozone, Buy a spare replacement oil drain plug, then take it to Autozone for matching, remove your engine take it to Autozone for matching. There are other methods you can (or maybe not) think of yourself.
What I did was to get a Fomoto Valve (to reduce wear and tear to the delicate threads of the aluminum oil pan) and then not worry about the damn washer. The Fomoto Valve comes with a washer included. (If you choose this method, get the Fomoto Valve before you plan on doing an oil change.)
I hope this has been helpful. And once again I hope I have answered your question.

Last edited by spreadhead; 07-02-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by spreadhead
There are several options. Drive to Autozone in another car, get a friend (if you have one) or neighbor to drive you to Autozone, get the first one from a dealer, then take it to Autozone to match or use that first one for an oil change then take the identical one that you took off to Autozone for a match, measure the inside diameter then take that measurement to Autozone, Buy a spare replacement oil drain plug, then take it to Autozone for matching, remove your engine take it to Autozone for matching. There are other methods you can (or maybe not) think of yourself.
What I did was to get a Fomoto Valve (to reduce wear and tear to the delicate threads of the aluminum oil pan) and then not worry about the damn washer. The Fomoto Valve comes with a washer included. (If you choose this method, get the Fomoto Valve before you plan on doing an oil change.)
I hope this has been helpful. And once again I hope I have answered your question.
yes u've answered my question heh didnt think of that cuz i was thinking "one trip only" lol but hey its a fit, it should be fun i was looking up on that fomoto valve, brilliant, but im afraid that a decent bump might push up the valve out of its safety lock and open by itself. can that happen? is the valve hard to push up? if so then i have no concerns and tempted!

Last edited by Rubba Burna; 07-02-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
yes u've answered my question heh didnt think of that cuz i was thinking "one trip only" lol but hey its a fit, it should be fun i was looking up on that fomoto valve, brilliant, but im afraid that a decent bump might push up the valve out of its safety lock and open by itself. can that happen? is the valve hard to push up? if so then i have no concerns and tempted!
The Fomoto valve would not be easily opened, but for safety (what I do) you can put a small hose clamp on it to prevent any opening. I was suprised how much force it takes to open this little sucker, it will probably esae up with use. I recommend it.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
HID Addict
definatly ordering it now, i can see how it can come in handy, with the clamp of course.

i went to advanced auto after skool today to get an idea about the oil filters, i noticed there were different sizes... i looked in the manual and it didnt mention anything about what size i need or something. how do i kno which oil filter to get? i plan on getting royal purple oil filter, only avalible at pep boys.

Quick Reply: OIL, filter, maintance minder questions