Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Broken parking brake handle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Broken parking brake handle

There's a curved piece of plastic on the front part of the parking brake, that sort of covers over the hole in the center console when the parking brake is raised. This piece has broken on me twice now:

Anyone else had this happen? I brought it to my Honda dealer the first time, and they replaced it under warranty no problem (although the cracked that little removable panel right in front of the parking brake in the process, but they ordered a new one of those, too). But today, about two weeks later, it just broke again.

When I put my parking brake down all the way, when it isn't broken, it has a bit of "bounce" to it. If I push down on the brake, it moves down a few millimeters, and then bounces back up. I'm guessing the end of this curved piece is flexing all the time. Perhaps now that winter has finally arrived up here in Ottawa, the cold temperature is causing this to fail?

Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
That happened to me to! (I live in Calgary so it's cold here too)
The dealership ordered the part for me (I havn't gotten it fixed yet though)
I'm just happy they will replace it under warranty.
You said the plastic bit was flexing?
Maybe if it is rubbing against something it could be 'trimmed' with a dremmel or something

Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Last I was at the dealership, I walked over to the Fit they had in the showroom, and gave the parking brake a try; on that one there was no flex at all. The handle went all the way down and stayed down. So I'm suspecting that the parking brake handle is bumping up against something that shouldn't be there. Maybe there's some part underneath that can be moved forward or backward a little?

I'm still waiting for my dealership to get the part in again, but if it is still flexing after they replace it the second time, I'll take it apart and see what it looks like underneath.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Yesterday I noticed this exact same thing on BOTH mine and my wifes fit (Hers is about 4 months younger than mine).

Both look exactly like the picture. Hers is in the shop today, mine is going in tomorrow (For a broken sun visor retaining clip).

Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
It is definitely a cold related problem. On cold days, you can feel the parking brake has a bit of "spring" to it when it hits bottom, but it doesn't at all on warm days (or after you get it back from the dealer, when they've just replaced the brake). I'm on my fourth parking brake handle now. This time they smeared grease all over it... although I have yet to fathom why.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Well it was pretty cold here this winter, though I don't remember a springy feel to the brake. That doesn't mean much though. I am not particularly harsh when I drop the brake. However, I could see how, if there is something in the way of the plastic cover, the cold could cause it to be brittle and snap when it flexes.

This is the second plastic part of the car that has snapped from nothing but normal wear (the other was the retaining clip from the sun visor... Broke last week).

I'll be upset if I need to keep bringing the car in to get a new brake handle. I switched to Honda because I got tired of bringing GM cars back all the time. Even under warranty it is a disruption to take the car in.

Last edited by ChuckRabb; 05-21-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckRabb
That should have been "I switched TO honda". Sorry.

You can edit your own posts.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Common problem worldwide. Take it easy when releasing the handbrake. It happens more in cold climates.
I should not have that problem here in TX, when it gets cold its like.. 60degrees lol

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
dealer fixed mine at no charge i'll be careful in cold weather now!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hah, this happened to me too about a month or so ago -- it does get cold here. I thought about getting it fixed, but since it looks like it'll just happen again probably, I think I'll just buy a Mugen hand brake cover and be done with it. Should cover the hole nicely I imagine.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Is that a hard piece of plastic that breaks off? My handbrake has a soft flexible flap there.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Just checked mine, it's broken too...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I should not have that problem here in TX, when it gets cold its like.. 60degrees lol
yea same here in az, if anything im worried about mine melting!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Mine broke exactly the same way last winter. One particularly cold day it snapped in exactly the same place. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Heh, when Honda has isses, it's always something so big, eh?

Digi

Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
For the posters in Calgary, what dealership fixed this for you? I just had this happen and need to take it in. The car's only a week old.... =(

Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
the bounce goes away for me after i drive a bit...
you too maybe?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ha... my hand brake piece was broken today i found out! damn - ill have to call them tomorrow. Must have happened during that last -35 spell here in peg city.

I said at work today that my car had a broken plastic piece and a customer asked me if my car was a honda.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
+1 For the broken parking brake handle club. x2 for Winnipeg owners.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
happened to me too in maryland usa. ;/ ive noticed that it gets really stiff on the cold days. with a manual transmission cant help but pull it. will have to get it fixed then get the mugen cover for it(and be more careful during winter) when i take my car in to get a few other things that have gone wrong with the car fixed(nothing really big, most just weatherstripping,e brake and side skirt screws are stripped.)

Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Bah! I just noticed mine has broken AGAIN! it's getting really cold outside!
Hopefully I can get it replaced by a dealer here in Ottawa...

Quick Reply: Broken parking brake handle