Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

LampGard headlight & fog light protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up LampGard headlight & fog light protection

Information on this LampGard product made by weathertech was first posted here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...light=LampGard by Klksharpei.
Originally Posted by Klksharpei
Hi- this is my first posting, although I've had my Vivid Blue Pearl Fit Sport since May 23. I absolutely love it!! After much research and with the Chicago winter just around the corner--I decided to get these items:
I just installed the WeatherTech side window deflectors and they are sooo easy to install!! No tape!! They snap into the window channel and are installed in 5 minutes! Made in Germany and 3mm thick. They are the only deflectors made of material the DOT approves. I got them at McNeil Automotive Products in Downer's Grove Illinois. 1-800-441-6287 or go to Weathertech.com. $49.95 for front or $89.95 for front & rear set. After I read about fog lamps breaking on this site, I also purchased their Lampgard for my headlamps and foglamps for $45.00. Protects your lights from cracking, scratching or pitting and just peel and stick!!! They have other great products for the Fit and nice people to do business with. They also have a catlog of their products. I got the adjustable armrest from Zeta Products several months ago. Love being a FIT FREAK!!
This seemed like a great idea so I ordered it too. I just finished installing it and I like it. Goes great with the clear bra.

The fog lights are pretty easy just 1 screw to get them out and unplug them then you can take them inside to put it on. You'll have 2 more screws each to take them out of their housings so you have just the lights to work with.

The headlights are a bit of a challenge and will take some time and patience because of the rounded design. "Just peel and stick" my a$$!!!

I didn't do a full DIY since the only way it would do any good is if it was a video which I don't have the equipment to do.

You can find the kit here http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...tem_group_id=2 or just call 1-800-441-6287.

A heat gun is only $10 here http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...+gun&Submit=Go

What's needed to do the install consists of:
LampGard Kit # H0227W (comes with both headlight and fog light pieces)
A heat gun (required, a hair dryer would take forever)
Phillips screwdriver
Rubbing alcohol
Spray bottle
Lint free cloth (tack cloth)
Towel to clean the lenses
Razor blade or box cutter (there will be a little to trim off the edge when done)
About 1 hour per headlight and 45 minutes to do both fog lights.

If you've never done window tint or a clear bra that required heat shrinking the film then you're better off getting someone that has to do it. This stuff is thick and you have to heat shrink it to contour to the lights but once it's on you wont have to worry about rocks chipping or breaking your lights.

I didn't take any pics yet since they will be a little hazy for a few days maybe then if someone wants to see but they're clear so you wont see much if anything.

A good tip would be to warm the film up as much as possible first to make it more flexible.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
2hot6ft2 ... I've been mulling over getting this product. Just out of curiosity, with its thickness, how does it look on the headlamp? Thanks.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ticats
2hot6ft2 ... I've been mulling over getting this product. Just out of curiosity, with its thickness, how does it look on the headlamp? Thanks.
If you take your time and do a good install it will be very hard to even tell that it's even there.

Just today when I was having my new wheels installed he was asking what all I had done to the car and when I mentioned it while he was looking at the clear bra he couldn't even tell I had it on the headlights.

It becomes completely clear so no one will know it's there unless you tell them.