Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Fit Could be competative in H-Stock (Auto-X)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JT-KGY
You actually dont need factory brand wheels... you can buy any wheels
as long as they are the same size, same width and nearly the same offset
(+- 0.25 inch) as the factory installed (not dealer installed) wheels.

Dealer installed wheels are consider aftermarket... I see dealers install 18"
on regular Civic in showrooms all the time.
No...that's not what I said.
I said HONDA brand wheels..HFP...Honda Factory Performance..*ahem*
I realise that dealers will put 20"s on trucks, cars and even go as far as to put lowering springs and performance modifications on....but that's not what I'm refering to...

Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
No...that's not what I said.
I said HONDA brand wheels..HFP...Honda Factory Performance..*ahem*
I realise that dealers will put 20"s on trucks, cars and even go as far as to put lowering springs and performance modifications on....but that's not what I'm refering to...
I know exactly what you're referring to... but still not legal if HFP wheels
are not the same size as the regular 14" or 15" wheels. Sorry.

Most likely your competitors wont mind anyways...

Old 10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I know exactly what you're referring to... but still not legal if HFP wheels
are not the same size as the regular 14" or 15" wheels. Sorry.

Most likely your competitors wont mind anyways...
Yeah, dually noted...still "factory wheels" though...

I do plan on replacing them with some lighter weight track wheels.
Any reccomendations. I want something light and moderatley priced..and about 7inches wide...maybe something cheap like some Koseis or Rotas...

Old 10-03-2006, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, dually noted...still "factory wheels" though...

I do plan on replacing them with some lighter weight track wheels.
Any reccomendations. I want something light and moderatley priced..and about 7inches wide...maybe something cheap like some Koseis or Rotas...
For autocross in SCCA events the stock classes require using rims that are either the original factory installed wheels or rims of the exact diameter and width with offset very close to stock plus or minus 0.25".

For track events you are not restricted to rim size.

So for autocross if you have a Fit sport your best bet is to find a set of rims from another Fit Sport owner and use that for stock class events. You can use your 16" HFR rims or maybe some light 16x7" rims for the track or for street use.

The stock 15" rims will take Kumho V710 205/50-15 tires just fine and will be legal for SCCA H-stock class.

Springs of any type other than the original springs that come with the FIT or FIT sport are not legal for Stock classes of autocross. So if the springs from the base FIT are the same part number as the FIT sport then you can use that spring in either model. If they are different part numbers then only the stock spring can be used in that specific model. It is possible due to different weights that the base and sport springs are different part numbers.

You cannot use aftermarket springs for stock class events even if the ride height remains the same. You can use any shock that is of stock size and type (edited). For other cars, Koni Yellow shocks are used.

If you get a protest from a competitor it is up to you to show proof that the part you are using is stock from a parts lists and evidence that you purchased this exact part. For wheels you need to show that it is factory installed NOT dealer installed. There are many optional wheels that are possible through different dealerships.

Your SCCA officials will evaluate any protests and act accordingly. Sometimes they can be strict, that is why there is a rule book. In my region any swapped body panels, side skirts, bummer trim, or spoilers are not allowed in stock classes. They are not considered comfort and convenience parts such as a steering wheel leather wrap or cup holder. It is true that some of these minor upgrades don't affect the car in a significant way so your officials will have to review the complaint and upgrade to make a ruling.

Last edited by MINI-Fit; 10-04-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
You cannot use aftermarket springs for stock class events even if the height remains the same. You can use any shock that is of stock size and non adjustable. For other cars, Koni Yellow shocks are used.
You can use adjustable shocks in Stock class. Up to double adjustables.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
You can use adjustable shocks in Stock class. Up to double adjustables.
Yes, Correct.

According to rule 13.5 Shock Absorbers

A. The make of shock absorbers may be substituted provided that the number, type, system of attachment and attachment points are not altered except as noted below. The interchange of gas and hydraulic shock absorbers is permitted. The following restrictions apply:

****1. No more than two separate external shockdamping adjustment controls. Gas pressure adjustment is not considered a damping adjustment.

2. Suspension geometry and alignment capability, not including ride height, may not be altered by the substitution of alternate shock absorbers.

3. Adjustable spring perches are allowed, but the spring load bearing surface must be in the same location relative to the shock mounting points as on the standard part. Shims may be used to achieve compliance.

4. The fully extended length must be within plus or minus one inch of the dimension of the standard part.

5. Electronically controlled shocks may not be used on vehicles not originally equipted with such units.

B. The mounting hardware shall be of the original type. The use of any shock absorber bushing material, including metal is permitted.

And there is more. You can refer to the rules online at SCCA.org

Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
It's a little annoying that the HONDA wheels on MY HONDA are not considered factory...I had no choice in the matter and they do say honda on them...Dealer installed options carrieing the factory brand should be considered stock.
This is a common problem, you are not alone. Honda brand wheels sold by Honda for Hondas but dealer installed do not qualify for SCCA stock class autocross.

SCCA has to set limits as to what is consider truely stock. So they picked only those wheels that are factory installed. Even your dealership will allow you to add the 16" HFP wheels but they don't usually take away your stock wheels or even give you any credit for them.

In a stock class you can use any brand or type of wheel which matches your stock Honda wheel in diameter, width and offset (very close is good too).

So since the stock alloy FIT sport wheels are 4x100, 15x6" and offset is +53mm you can try to locate a set of wheels that match this. The reality of it is your search will be very difficult. Often the offset is the hardest to find. Probably the most offset you can find will be +45 or +48mm. Many 15" rims come only as narrow as 6.5" or 7". There is just too little demand for a 15x6" rim because it is considered to close to stock rims.

Once you decide not to run in stock classes you can consider much wider rims in 15" or 16" with tires that push the limits or even roll your fender to make it fit. Then you have much more rubber on the road and can stick better however camber will need to be adjusted to take full benefit of the wider tires.

Jim@tirerack.com can give you the pros and cons of going this route.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Interesting. So now we need to know what is adjustable on the Fit. Caster? Camber? Toe? I know the rear isnt very adjustable, but i dont think it will be an issue since we'll be very close to stock height.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
in a solo 1 for example... How the inspectors will know if you have the springs from another fit(in case that the sports is different)??

I just want to know( I already have the sport)
And, who is going to protest for a Fit !! Everybody should be faster...

The track quorum (at least in my town track) ALL have faster cars, I even think that the only H class would be mine. Anyway I am more interested in the track days than in solo 1 (at least for know) And then again , I'll have to get knowledge on the mods that are permited ( allowances that I have up to a limit) until I run out of points to mod, just in the borderline of moving to another category.

Please someone help there. I know that you guys have post part of the scca rules but , Is there more? or any rule that don't apply to solo 1 or what?

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
The stock offset, if I'm not mistaken, is 55mm, not 53mm (yes, it matters). (And to think the moderators got on my case for asking - this is a common area of confusion!)

Support the SCCA - buy a rule book!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mexellent
Interesting. So now we need to know what is adjustable on the Fit. Caster? Camber? Toe? I know the rear isnt very adjustable, but i dont think it will be an issue since we'll be very close to stock height.
Toe is always adjustable front and rear. Slight toe out (1/8" or similar) in the front and zero toe in the rear is usually good for autocross.

Caster is not adjustable- and you want to get as much as you can.

Camber-
Slightly adjustable in the front- try to get more negative up to -2 degrees, stock is about -0.8 degrees. I read there are some smaller diameter bolts that can be used from Honda that allow for some play in the front.
Rear camber is not adjustable. Stock rear camber is about -1.5 degrees.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
in a solo 1 for example... How the inspectors will know if you have the springs from another fit(in case that the sports is different)??

I'll have to get knowledge on the mods that are permited ( allowances that I have up to a limit) until I run out of points to mod, just in the borderline of moving to another category.

Please someone help there. I know that you guys have post part of the scca rules but , Is there more? or any rule that don't apply to solo 1 or what?
You meant solo2 right? or just solo... I think solo1 is done at the track
more like time-trial, I think.

At national events such as SCCA solo national or national tour, after your
runs, you have to park your car and open things up for all your
competitors to see... This year someone got protested for removing
weather coatings under the car... so if you change out your springs, trust
me someone will know... But of course, usually people only protest if
you're winning...

Points to mod?? Sounds like the system that NASA uses..

The entire rulebook is on SCCA.com

Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea

I just want to know( I already have the sport)
And, who is going to protest for a Fit !! Everybody should be faster...

The track quorum (at least in my town track) ALL have faster cars, I even think that the only H class would be mine. Anyway I am more interested in the track days than in solo 1 (at least for know) And then again , I'll have to get knowledge on the mods that are permited ( allowances that I have up to a limit) until I run out of points to mod, just in the borderline of moving to another category.

In SCCA solo events there are technical inspectors to check if the car is safe and if there is anything grossly out of line. They do not check for small things.

If you win your class and your competitors suspect you have overstepped the legal changes for your class they can protest to the Solo officials and
the driver of the protested vehicle will have to prove that you are conforming to the rules. An inspection disassembly and measurement may be done by an outside source after your car is impounded the day of the event. The documents that prove you are legal in that class need to be with you at the event on the day of the race or you can be disqualified.

Look at the earlier post- a driver with a Fit sport won H-stock. Each region is different with how strict they wish to be about rules for stock classes.

All SCCA rules are online at SCCA.org

If you are the only H-stock driver then that is OK but with your handicap (PAX) you can chanllege others for best overall time. In my region H-stock and G-stock cars with PAX handicap finish in the top 4 out of 130 drivers every month.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
You meant solo2 right? or just solo... I think solo1 is done at the track
more like time-trial, I think.

At national events such as SCCA solo national or national tour, after your
runs, you have to park your car and open things up for all your
competitors to see... This year someone got protested for removing
weather coatings under the car... so if you change out your springs, trust
me someone will know... But of course, usually people only protest if
you're winning...

Points to mod?? Sounds like the system that NASA uses..

The entire rulebook is on SCCA.com
The rules for SCCA Solo racing are at-
http://scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=0...D660&x=050|070&~=

You can download the rules in PDF but they are not the "Official rules"
Disclaimer-
The on-line and downloadable versions of the Solo Rulebook are not official documents -- the only official Solo Rules are the printed Solo Rules as produced and distributed by the SCCA Solo Department. If you would like a copy of the printed Solo Rulebook, contact SCCA Merchandise via e-mail or call at (800) 770-2055.

SCCA has changed the name of autocross from Solo II to just Solo. The Solo 1 racing is Prosolo.

If you are not winning then generally no one will complain too loudly about your car. If you regularly win then others will check to see that you are legal and learn to respect your ability to drive consistently well.

H-stock is the most basic class and has the largest handicap which means if you can drive well you can beat the rest of the field. Raw times only count in your class while handicapped times are used to compare you with the rest of the drivers for that event. It is very common to do very very well with a H-stock car. But you will need to give yourself every advantage.

To do well with H-stock you will need to drive very smoothly and take advantage of every bit of Horsepower you have (most are about 100 HP).
You need to make use of all the traction you have so that usually means competition tires- R compound like Hoosiers or Kumho V710 or ecsta V700 or victoracers. These are track only tires and not for street use or you can wear them out quickly.

I think that a FIT could do very well at least locally.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
The rules for SCCA Solo racing are at-
http://scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=0...D660&x=050|070&~=

You can download the rules in PDF but they are not the "Official rules"
Disclaimer-
The on-line and downloadable versions of the Solo Rulebook are not official documents --
Ah.. I see... though I've bought the "official" rulebooks of 2005 and 2006,
it's pretty much identical to the pdf. Rulebook is required to enter the
national events.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
So since the stock alloy FIT sport wheels are 4x100, 15x6" and offset is +55mm you can try to locate a set of wheels that match this. The reality of it is your search will be very difficult.
So has anyone found the lightest H-Stock wheel available for the Fit? (15x6 w/ 48-55mm offset)

Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
There are plenty of lightweight wheels avail in 15x6, I think the issue will be getting the offset close enough to stock.

Might be worth checking with a Volk dealer to see what offset of their 15x6 wheels are.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glockprime
So has anyone found the lightest H-Stock wheel available for the Fit? (15x6 w/ 48-55mm offset)
Estimated weight of the stock alloy rim 15+ to 17 pounds each- no doubt it will be heavier than these.

For tirerack.com
15x6" +50mm offset
Sport Edition D4 silver painted
14 pounds each
$84 each

Or also same wheel both instock
15x6" +47mm offset silver painted
14.8 pounds each
$84 each

Or in a different design
Sport Edition (made in china, cast) E3
15x6" +45mm offset Machined with anthracite accent
15.2 pounds each
$84 each

The nice thing is that these are fairly cheap and from tirerack you can get race tires mounted and balanced for free.
Kumho V710 205/50-15 are your best bet and if you can take care of them you can make them last one full season.
Talk to Jim@tirerack.com to order.

Last edited by MINI-Fit; 10-14-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I saw those on wheels on Tirerack as well. I didn't know if 14 lbs was lighter than stock or not. I guess I was looking for a ~10 lb wheel. Too bad the SSR Competitions have the wrong offset.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glockprime
Yeah, I saw those on wheels on Tirerack as well. I didn't know if 14 lbs was lighter than stock or not. I guess I was looking for a ~10 lb wheel. Too bad the SSR Competitions have the wrong offset.
I searched a little-

Volk CE28N (8 spoke) one piece forged construction 4x100 bolt pattern

For the base Fit it's good but expensive-
14x5.5" +45mm offset 6.39 lbs each $410 each
Bronze and Gold finishes

For the Fit Sport the offset is not good enough-
15x6" +45mm offset 8.49 lbs each $470 each
Bronze, Gold or White finishes

(note this wheels below are nice but likely not quite enough offset to be legal)

Work makes several wheels that would be the right size but not sure of the offsets or weights.
Work Equip 01 (3 piece construction) 14x5.5 $289 each 15x6 $390 each

Black Silver Polish Finish
I saw a site that listed offsets for the 14" rim from +29 to 6mm

Work Vs-XX 3 piece Deep Dish, custom colors 4x100 bolt pattern
15x6" $370 each offset unknown

Work Meister S2R 2 piece construction Silver or Black finish
15x6" $350 each for standard finish $390 each for custom finish

Silver

Work XSA 02C 15x6 +46mm offset $298 each
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...workxsa02c.jpg

Quick Reply: Fit Could be competative in H-Stock (Auto-X)