Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

SCCA Solo II modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Cool SCCA Solo II modifications

I was wondering who is autocrossing their Fits in SCCA Solo II and what modifications they are performing. It seems that many of the mods represented in the forum are street-oriented but I am more concerned with those setups that will be allowed specifically in the stock and possibly STS categories.

My primary interest in the Fit is as an economical daily commuter, but I am lucky enough to have some nice curvy, relatively flat country roads for my drive. As such, power train modifications will be fairly limited, but I would like to exploit some of the handling features, just to keep things interesting.

I am somewhat familiar with AutoX from a few years ago with my 2K Toyota GTS and my 92 MR2 Turbo that I raced ProSolo and miss dearly. However, economy and utility are my new watchwords, but I would like (at least) a little fun..

One really cool feature that the Fit has is that racing tires are easily carried within, and I won't need to trailer my car to the event. My guess is that properly-shod, and with a few improvments to the stock dampers, etc.. ,this car should be quite fun to play with.

Care to share?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I have always said that if I get into it again I'll stay in stock class. If I were to autox the Fit on a regular basis I would pretty much stay stock but add Koni adjustables (when they become available) and put race tires on the stock wheels.
A lot of the mods you see around here will put you into street prepared class where I don't think the Fit will be real competitive, unless you do a lot of mods.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I dont think the Fit will be competitive in STS on a national level (or reigonal, in my case). I do think that the fit stands a much better chance in H-Stock.

Although a Fit with STS modifications would be a hoot to drive! I plan on going down this road anyway.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Joe_Schmoe
If I were to autox the Fit on a regular basis I would pretty much stay stock but add Koni adjustables (when they become available) and put race tires on the stock wheels.
Wouldn't race tires take you out of the stock class?? I thought you could only run street tires? I do agree w/ the koni's and stock wheels ideas, though. If/when we start having ax here, I'm keeping the Fit in the stock class and STS the other car.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
In open classes DOT approved tires are legal.
From rules- Most street legal tires that will fit the mounted wheels and stock bodywork.

In STS you have to use tires with tread wear rating of 140 or higher and can't be wider than 225.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
I have an email out to a SCCA official about classing of modified FITs.

For now both base Fit and Fit sport are in H-stock class for SCCA Solo events. Please be careful and don't upgrade too much or you will not be eligible for stock class events.

In H-stock you can add:
Any drop in air filter that fits into the stock air box
Any Cat-back or axle back exhaust
Any shocks of stock size
Any adjustment to alignment without adding adjustable front camber plates or rear control arm upgrades.
Any gasoline grade of fuel up to premium not 100 Octane
Any engine oil
Any stock sized brake pads
Any brake fluid
CG locks for the stock seatbelts or race harnesses like those from Schroth.

You must use stock sized wheels plus or minus 1/4th inch wheel offset.
You can use any DOT approved tire including competition R compound tires.
A good wheel combo would be stock 15" alloy wheels with Kumho V710 tires in 205/50-15.

Don't add a shift knob or short shift kit
Don't add a strut tower bar, header or aftermarket cold air intake
Don't add any exterior body kit parts, spoilers, fins, arches
Unless you want to compete in
F Street prepared (using any sized wheels and tires)
or
Street Touring S (STS) using street tires (no competition tires) on any sized rim.

If you do anything to add boost then you go into Street Modified class to race against modified: Subaru WRX STI, BMW M3 sedans, Dodge Neon SRT, Nissan 240SX, Lancer Evolution, MINI cooper S, etc.

Last edited by MINI-Fit; 02-21-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks... that is very definitive.

Minihune from NAM??

Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
I have an email out to a SCCA official about classing of modified FITs.

For now both base Fit and Fit sport are in H-stock class for SCCA Solo events. Please be careful and don't upgrade too much or you will not be eligible for stock class events.

In H-stock you can add:
Any drop in air filter that fits into the stock air box
Any Cat-back or axle back exhaust
Any shocks of stock size
Any adjustment to alignment without adding adjustable front camber plates or rear control arm upgrades.
Any gasoline grade of fuel
Any engine oil
Any stock sized brake pads
Any brake fluid
CG locks for the stock seatbelts or race harnesses like those from Schroth.

You must use stock sized wheels plus or minus 1/4th inch wheel offset.
You can use any DOT approved tire including competition R compound tires.
A good wheel combo would be stock 15" alloy wheels with Kumho V710 tires in 205/50-15.

Don't add a shift knob or short shift kit
Don't add a strut tower bar, header or aftermarket cold air intake
Don't add any exterior body kit parts, spoilers, fins, arches
Unless you want to compete in
F Street prepared (using any sized wheels and tires)
or
Street Touring S (STS) using street tires (no competition tires) on any sized rim.

If you do anything to add boost then you go into Street Modified class to race against modified: Subaru WRX STI, BMW M3 sedans, Dodge Neon SRT, Nissan 240SX, Lancer Evolution, MINI cooper S, etc.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kkim
Minihune from NAM??
Yes, One and the same.

We'd love to see more FITs at autocross at Aloha Stadium on Oahu, Hawaii.
Next event is October 15.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Took my Fit this weekend to autocross SCCA for the second time! It rocks the track. I placed 8th out 14 in the STS class and 89 out of 200 something in Index times. Speeds don't get too high so it is all handling and braking.

The only modification I added was filling the chassis cavities throughout the lower subframe with expanding foam(poor man's roll cage). It definitly feels more solid and gives it a definite and predictable neutral handling.

Handbraking for some oversteer helped in the tight turns. The car needs its own level of car manipulation, but I definitly was tracking some of the highest slalom speeds.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
with the base & sport likely being classified the same in stock class, id look at some 14x6 wheels if they will fit on the sport.
i'd go with the Kumho 710's 225/50x14 & a set of Koni Yellows. should be really fun & half competitive in Pax.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by civicgsir
i'd go with the Kumho 710's 225/50x14 & a set of Koni Yellows.
Pleeeeeze find me a set of Koni yellows for the FIT!!!

Old 11-23-2006, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
with the base & sport likely being classified the same in stock class, id look at some 14x6 wheels if they will fit on the sport.
i'd go with the Kumho 710's 225/50x14 & a set of Koni Yellows. should be really fun & half competitive in Pax.
Technically speaking.

For any SCCA stock class-
You use the same sized wheels as came from the factory.

So the base FIT uses the 14" rim while the FIT Sport uses the 15" rim.
It doesn't matter what "can" fit. Any use the the optional 16" rims will not be eligible for stock classes in the SCCA.

Your region may be unaware of this but many officials will be checking and if you do well in your class your competitors will be watching you closely.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Until the Fits 2007 official classification is published, it's still pretty much guess work at this point.

If I had to take a stab at it, it may turn out that the Fit is classified just as 'Honda Fit' since there are no major performance differences between 'base' & 'sport'. If that is the case, the 'base' 14" wheel should be available to a 'sport' if they are indeed classified as the same car.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Until the Fits 2007 official classification is published, it's still pretty much guess work at this point.

If I had to take a stab at it, it may turn out that the Fit is classified just as 'Honda Fit' since there are no major performance differences between 'base' & 'sport'. If that is the case, the 'base' 14" wheel should be available to a 'sport' if they are indeed classified as the same car.
As a 2007 car the FIT will be a new comer and your region will need to decide how to class it. Since they don't know what comes with the car you can probably run what you brought and since it's likely that you'll be using Honda wheels no one will question you. If you win H-stock your competitors will be interested in finding out more and likely to look up the normal configurations of a FIT.

I emailed the SCCA and got no answer three times.

I can tell you that other Honda owners are very likely to know what comes on a FIT. They often do their homework.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
As a 2007 car the FIT will be a new comer and your region will need to decide how to class it. Since they don't know what comes with the car you can probably run what you brought and since it's likely that you'll be using Honda wheels no one will question you. If you win H-stock your competitors will be interested in finding out more and likely to look up the normal configurations of a FIT.

I emailed the SCCA and got no answer three times.

I can tell you that other Honda owners are very likely to know what comes on a FIT. They often do their homework.
OK I finally got the answer back from SCCA (Doug Gill, SCCA National Solo Technical Manager).

The 2007 Fit has not been classed yet. Doug will get it Fastraked for H-stock class (both Base and Fit Sport models).

But you must run your car as it came from the factory with no changes in trim or rims. You can change the tires to R-compound or competition rubber but no swapping of 14 to 15" rims or vice versa.

Whether or not your local SCCA officials will enforce this will depend on you area and if you are competitive in H-stock class.

HPF 16" wheels are not legal for H-stock class.

I will post the rules for SCCA autocross as it pertains to the FIT in a separate thread.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
That being the case, it could be a better bet to use the non-sport Fit for its lower weight. Put on some adjustable shocks, tinker with alignment, get some light stock-sized 14" wheels, and cram the widest tire you can onto the wheels (225/50 will fit the wheel, but I'm not sure about the inner fender). A stock Fit is a pretty good-handling car; makes you wonder what it could do on the auto-x circuit in H Stock.

Mike

Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
Handbraking for some oversteer helped in the tight turns. The car needs its own level of car manipulation, but I definitly was tracking some of the highest slalom speeds.
You shouldn't have to do that on an autocross course. Yes, the car understeers, but you'd be better off fixing that with a smaller front sway bar and/or better alignment settings. Unless you're atop the World Rally Championship standings, fiddling with the handbrake is probably costing you a lot of time.

Disclaimer: I don't know you, so maybe you are good enough to pull this off. Just a little friendly input from a 10-year autocrosser!

Mike

Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
OK I finally got the answer back from SCCA (Doug Gill, SCCA National Solo Technical Manager).

The 2007 Fit has not been classed yet. Doug will get it Fastraked for H-stock class (both Base and Fit Sport models).

But you must run your car as it came from the factory with no changes in trim or rims. You can change the tires to R-compound or competition rubber but no swapping of 14 to 15" rims or vice versa.

Whether or not your local SCCA officials will enforce this will depend on you area and if you are competitive in H-stock class.

HPF 16" wheels are not legal for H-stock class.

I will post the rules for SCCA autocross as it pertains to the FIT in a separate thread.

glad you talked to someone, good to know.

well, my '92 FSP Civic won't be ready for our season opener, so i'll be using my Fit instead. I will be in FSP regardless, cause my 14x7 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 came in yesterday w/ the 225/50 Kumho V710's mounted. So i'll be giving them a go with the Fit to see how it goes. i hope it has a good showing for me. i was going to run on the stock tires in HS, as it yields a better Pax, but i am anxious to see how it responds with R-compounds.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
glad you talked to someone, good to know.

well, my '92 FSP Civic won't be ready for our season opener, so i'll be using my Fit instead. I will be in FSP regardless, cause my 14x7 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 came in yesterday w/ the 225/50 Kumho V710's mounted. So i'll be giving them a go with the Fit to see how it goes. i hope it has a good showing for me. i was going to run on the stock tires in HS, as it yields a better Pax, but i am anxious to see how it responds with R-compounds.
PLEASE get some pictures of that set up!

Good luck to you. When is the opener? Ours is still 6 weeks away.

Mike

Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know of any adjustable shocks for the Fit as of now?

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo II modifications