Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

2012 Fall Dragon Run thread-10th anniversary! (10-11/10-14-12)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
^^ JEEZ, they got hit hard! Fortunately no one was seriously injured or worse after the tornado hit (at least that was mentioned in the online articles I've read so far).

Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Well Hootie, I really hope you go and its ok, we had people in and out all weekend, some people came one day and left the next day and then the next day would have a new one show up, so its all good. What day do you think you'd show up and leave?
That's cool. If I do go, I'm hoping to get there sometime that Saturday morning/early afternoon. Likely would be leaving straight from work and heading that way then leaving out around noon-ish that Sunday. By then I should have a few new goods on the GD like some Hawk pads, slotted rotors and maybe if within budget some coilovers. Hopefully I'll be able to make this; if not, there is always next year.

As far as the CR-Z goes, well, here's what is going to be done to the car:

-muffler-less stock exhaust
-K&N typhoon
-17" MB Weapons w/225-45's (Continental DWS)
-possibly 2nd cat delete too

I've got the muffler-less stock exhaust right now and it sounds great, not ricey and it snaps, crackles and pops too, I love it The intake is sitting at Hectour's right now, just waiting for the weather to warm up to install it. The wheels are coming soon, just waiting on Uncle Sam there.

I'm really glad to see/hear all the enthusiasm from this site, you guys made me proud last year
Nice! I really want to see what a CRZ can do on some twisties in person. Just curious, why another set of DWSs? I know they're a great tire since my uncle's last E60 had a set but why not get a set of stickier summer tires like the DWs or another tire of that class and up for this year's run?

Last edited by Hootie; 03-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone talked to Dixie at Caney Creek Village since the storms hit? Just wondering if she came out of it okay.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWoman
Has anyone talked to Dixie at Caney Creek Village since the storms hit? Just wondering if she came out of it okay.
I actually tried calling her but the answering machine said they're closed till the 1st, I assume that's April 1st. She goes down to FLA during the winter, so I'm sure she's ok but don't know about the cabins, that tornado hit only 3 miles away and not sure which way it turned so I really don't know If you check on xceespeed I posted some vids from YouTube from down there, crazy stuff, check it out. BTW, thanks for asking, its very nice of you

Hootie, I chose the DWS' for a couple reasons:

-previous ownership

-these are my year round tires, need something that does EVERYTHING and they do.....EVERYTHING INCREDIBLE in the snow, SUPERIOR BITE in the rain, CONFIDENT grip on the dry stuff (especially on the CR-Z, its no poweful car afterall)

-smooth sidewalls, easy to apply tire dressing

-good treadwear number (540)

-quiet performance

-reputation (my 2nd set, buddy has his 2nd set, another buddy has his 2nd set, g/f has em', buddy's wife has em', buddy's buddy has em' and I notice them on alot of cars in the parking lot from time to time)

I would love to try the DW but that would mean I'd have to get some steelies w/ snows and then go that route, its something that could happen down the road, you never know. My one buddy with the very modded MS3 will get his first set of DW Continentals this fall, just before the Dragon as he's taking the car off of the road for the winter, so we'll see how well they handle a 300+ whp FWD car w/ factory LSD. Another one of our Dragon Slayers brought his wife's 350Z to the Dragon with the DW Conti's right before they sold it and he loved them, so we've got some input on those down there too.

Hey Hootie, you going to make our run this year, its going to be epic

Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Interested but the USN owns me so until a week or two before I wont have a 100% solid answer

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Just giving a bump and seeing if who else is going

Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Basically our new "homebase" is www.xceedspeed.com and then you go to the events section. The current discussion is where to stay, some want to be closer to the Dragon, so the discussion is wide open right now. I suggest you guys looking to go, drop in there from time to time. I will continue to come in here and keep you guys updated anyways, I was so impressed with the people that showed up from here last year that I wanna keep it going, you guys deserve that.

I plan on staying at my buddy's parents house if he makes it out with me this year and even if he doesn't, well, I plan on staying at Caney Creek. I really see NO reason to leave Caney Creek. Is it perfect, no but for what we need, well, it is IMO. We've got plenty of room, have the place to ourselves and don't have to worry about anyone messing with anything and the campfire parties can go the way we want them to go, again because we've got the place to ourselves there, not to mention Dixie takes good care of us, no taxes when paying cash.

We're only 3.5 miles away from the beginning of the Skyway, have the gas stations right there, restaraunts, stores, everything we need, so why change it up? Your input is much appreciated but I don't want anyone who's looking to join us or those who've joined us last year to think that this run is unorganized, it really is and we'll have either one or two places to stay, details will be sorted out by next month, the 6 month point basically. This is also the 10th anniversary for the run, I want it to be special and we've got some special cars coming out, RHD Skyline from Canda, a Daytona coupe' replica and most of the core guys have really upgraded their rides from the past couple years, not to mention you guys and what you've done too!

Once again, check us out at xceedspeed too, everyone is very welcomed there

Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'm down for Caney Creek. I love how quiet it is. We're not only bringing both cars this year (Fit & Jazz) but we've got a Camaro following us up there and possibly another Fit. I can't wait to hit the Skyway again, this time I'll have a little more power and will get to see more than everyone else's tail lights.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
^^ First off, cool screen name ^^

I'm glad you two like Caney Creek and as far as the other Fit and Camaro, well, welcome aboard to them? Any details on the other Fit and Camaro? We're going to get the reservations going around the 1st or 2nd week of April because at that point its 6 monthes out and since Dixie has been dealing with me since 2003, my word is good and all I wanna pass along to the noobs out there is this, if your really going to make it and wanna make the reservations, well, no problem, give her a call and tell her your with "Roger from Deeeetroit (even though I'm in Chicago now) and your all set. Now I know things come up and if that does happen, no problem but call Dixie and cancel, thanks If any of you need info or wanna see the cabins, check out the first post, the link and info is there, along with some info about our run and our group.

I should let you guys know that attended last year that a small group of guys are planning on staying closer to the Dragon, they just can't deal with the long trip to the Dragon and dealing with the drive through the Skyway. Now, even though we don't have the car or chassis to really appreciate the Skyway I for one love the Skyway, I also don't have the driving skill to "let it go" out on the Skyway either, infact I'm one of the more conservative drivers out there on the Skyway, the Dragon, well, that's a little different, can you say "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde" This shouldn't really be a problem anyways, we've got so many people going that this should help "thin out the herd" a bit.

Looking forward to spending the 10th anniversery with my fellow Fit Freaks, along with Contour.org and Xceedspeed-ers.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
This is how the Dragon looks currently, very close to the nc/tn line. Closed til Monday evening approximately. Everybody's gonna miss out this weekend cause the weather is killer.

Name:  424849_10150752101513140_211220253139_11556278_548568924_n.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  85.2 KB

Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Cool

Name:  img1331474858629.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  100.5 KB

"IT WILL JUST SLICE THROUGH THE AIR!"

.....AND GRIP THE ROAD!
Name:  img1331474635708.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  img1331475057979.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  166.2 KB

The wheels are 17 x 7 (up 1" in size and 1" in width) and the tires are, ofcoarse, the Continental DWS (225-45's....up 30 mm in width and 10% less aspect ratio) Also, Hectour is installing my K&N typhoon this Sunday, so more hp and torque are on the way and it will then sound good in the front as well as the back I will get the windows tinted when I go home for Memorial Day to complete the look. Not sure if you can see it in the pic, but the grill area has been treated to a matte black vinyl strip to make the grill area look even larger, something I had an idea to do and have now done it. The wheels have a custom, acrylic domed H centercap and the H inserts in the front and rear have Scotchbrite CF vinyl inserted into them.....

Name:  img1331420576057.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  img1331420606966.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  58.4 KB

Not the same material used here but it just isn't possible but it still keeps the theme going though...

Name:  img1331420525951.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  61.7 KB

Hope everything is going well with everyone and their upgrades/mods this year already

Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
Tagged for jealously

Getting married 9/16 so there's no way I'll be able to make it, but I do expect to see pics!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by avocado123
Tagged for jealously

Getting married 9/16 so there's no way I'll be able to make it, but I do expect to see pics!
Congrats to you and yours inadvance! Hope the two of you guys make it out next year though, we'll be there, count on it and yeah, there will be pics

Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
What is a mufferless stock exhaust?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Elephantman
What is a mufferless stock exhaust?
Had the stock muffler removed, straight pipe put in its place and added a polished SS exhaust tip Its been done on the Fit too, even the 2nd cat-delete is a pretty popular mod on the Fit too. I actually heard a mufflerless exhaust on a Fit, so there's where the seed was planted, then I heard a clip of the mod on the CR-Z and that was it, done deal! Cost me $50.00 for the removal and another $38.00 for the tip shipped from Ebay, cheapest exhaust mod ever and it really does sound good, no "ricer, fart can" sound, quiet at idle and just enough going down the road, even burbles between shifts, that's the deal maker right there

Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
You should take a soundclip of it, Roger. I'm interested in the sound.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM
I found one on YouTube, can't remember the actual name of it though. I'll get around to it but FWIW, I don't like anything "ricey" and this mod isn't ricey one bit, especially with the 2nd cat still on there. I mean its basically the same engine, you'd like it and its a zero dollar mod if you just hack off the muffler and make a pipe or about $50.00 if you go to a muffler shop and have them do it and install a straight pipe there, add a tip for a complete look and you've got yourself not only a nice mod, but saved a ton of money over an actual system that's going to do the same thing except empty your wallet some, alot some!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 PM
New mod...power gain!

img1332117875317.jpg?t=1332119322

Another Honda, another K&N typhoon! Good luck with the one of the Fit so why change things around, right! Noticeable power gain and the sound is very nice, check out that "fit"ment too, first rate as always

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Lookin good Roger! Can't wait to see it in person. You know, if you back off the wax a little, it might take a few pounds off of the car.

Anyway, the Camaro and the other Fit (if he goes) will be splitting a cabin with us. So we're going to reserve one of the larger ones.

If anyone in the Sunshine State wants to meet up, we'll be caravaning up to Caney Creek on Oct 10th. The more the merrier!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
We'll be setting up the reservations pretty soon, sometime a month from now but I should let you and everyone else here that our new home base (Xceedspeed) has some "issues" right now, pertaining to those looking to stay closer to the Dragon and NOT at Caney Creek. This issue seems to be a few of the guys hate driving all the way through the Skway to get to the Dragon, want to be closer to the Dragon so they can run it earlier and later in the day w/o waiting, don't like the cabins at Caney Creek anymore, say there's nothing in town, don't like the food there, did I mention they think its too far to get to the Dragon, you know, that Skyway road just seems to get in the way I guess,

I know this, I'm looking out for everyone and when there's everyone to look out for, well, you've gotta have room for everyone and we've got plenty of that there, you guys who went know this and BTW, those who stayed there last year, did you think the cabins were bad or what? What did you think about the town, were you able to get what you wanted when you wanted it? Comments are welcome, thanks and you noobs looking to go, get ready!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Roger if all goes well I'm still planning to crash on your couch...just fyi if its still cool.

Before

After - opened today

Quick Reply: 2012 Fall Dragon Run thread-10th anniversary! (10-11/10-14-12)