Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

AutoCrossing in Hawaii!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Wow!! Thanks so much for your post, that's a fantastic help! So nice of you...

I have a thread started up for autoxing my car, so I quoted your post over there and made a full reply there to avoid messing this thread up with a bunch of questions I have for you

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...fit-autox.html

Last edited by denham; 02-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by denham
Wow great thread guys! This is a huge resource for someone like me who has just picked up a Fit and plans to get it handling more nicely for street and autox
Just a reminder.

If you are starting to autocross then consider-

Starting in Stock class because:
Requires the lease expense since modifications are limited.
Could change just the tires- either Extreme summer tires or R compounds using stock sized rims but would need another set of daily wheels/tires.
You use mostly your driving skill which always is the most limiting factor when you begin.
You get to learn how to drive your car better without changing it much.
No adjustments or wheel changes are needed if you are using stock wheels/tires.
You can plan what to do with more experience later and know what classes allow what mods to be legal.

You can also start in Street Touring but-
Many drivers have full suspension mods
You can use wider wheels and tires vs stock which you may lack
Often once you do many mods you cannot easily return to stock class.

FSP can also be a competitive class but biggest difference from Street Touring is the use of R compound tires on wider than stock wheels.
Light weight racing wheels vs stock and wide R compound rubber is a huge advantage.

About H Stock class
Although it might seem that this would make the Fit competitive it will depend on a few things-
Using the manual transmission in any year Fit is the best approach while the automatic lacks the zip needed in lower gears to make full use of limited power.
Suspension is just adequate and front camber is very limited. You will need much better tires than the Dunlop Stock All Season tires which are a joke for autocrossing.
When I drove H stock in a 2008 Fit Sport I drove nearly the same times using R compound tires vs Extreme Summer Bridgestone tires so I don't think it is such a bad choice to use the Street tires if you can find a size that fits.

About doing mods-
Many of the mods that are possible will bump you into more competitive classes for autocross. Be careful and plan ahead so that a shift knob or intake mod that seems minimal or cosmetic isn't the reason you can't run in stock class. Check your local rules first.

Always remember that skill counts the most. Many drivers have been at it for a long time and have figured out how to tune their cars just right for the events that are held. No two courses are the same and the biggest errors drivers make are-

Overdriving- getting too aggressive and driving slow sections too fast.
Coasting- not taking full advantage of where more speed is possible.
Not looking far enough ahead- to plan how to set up for the next element
Not walking the course ahead of time enough to know it down cold.
Not realizing that slow in (heading into a tight corner) and fast out is the golden rule and worth practicing.

The rest is up to you, some talent, and some good fortune.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Great tips! I have actually been autocrossing a few years and won CSP in Canadian Nats in 07 I think it was. Haven't gone down to the states yet where the real competition is, but I am running a Miata in STS this year with a good friend and we plan to hit up some big events

I ran my 90 Miata in ES for a couple of years, and I decided I don't want to lug a set of r-comps to autox, and run a car with a big front bar and loads of understeer anymore. I'll mostly be driving the Miata but I want the Fit set up nicely, and ST looks good for just showing up for the odd event and having some fun. I won't set the Fit up to be competitive in ST, but I can still piss off a few people who have spent loads on their cars by showing up in a Fit and beating them

Anyway, great tips in your post, thanks, and this thread in general!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Post #37 updated with all data from this season

Congrats to Raton and to Tanukifit.

Some of the events were very close and evenly matched.

Shows that the Fit can hold it's own under pressure.

Hoping that next season will be a good one.

So far best results are with Dunlop Star Spec tires.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I have my first autox event on Sunday. Wish me luck, I'm hoping to help the Fit reputation grow! Glad to hear my star specs are the rubber to have.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 PM
any of you planning on having b-spec certification?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Raton is back.

This sunday is our Curtis Lee Memorial Autocross event. Autocross #6 for the season.

Wishing Raton good driving.