Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

The stock Fit on the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The stock Fit on the track

I love my MR Fit - but I have a question. The engine is stock - no air intake or anything else. It is my daily driver - and I am super protective
of it. Anyway, another group of WV car people that I belong to are having a meet and they are going to have use of a quarter mile track. There is an event plan around the meet which has tuned out police cars coming in from out of state to race against other drivers. It is all for fun and to encourage kids to race on the track and not on the street. Would it hurt the Fit to do this? I know that I have once or twice started at the stop light and hit it hard until I got up to the speed limit but I just would not want to hurt the car. It would not be worth it to me. Most likely will be the only Fit there and I have to say my plan was to go and just enjoy the meet and watch the races. The guys are after me to race the Fit and they are having a photographer there to take pictures. I know the Fit is not going to beat anything out there and it is just for fun but I just worry about putting it to the test. My answer is no just go watch but I would like your opinions as well.

What do you all think?

Cat :x

Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
My suggestion is that is fun! just go out there and do it for the experience and have fun! You will not hurt anything on your car, unless you completely dont shift or something lol

Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I would change my oil the day before just in case. Also, I'd put high octane in the gas tank cuz it can't really hurt to spend extra dollars to be on the safe side. Most cars that are well built should be able to withstand a beating when they're well maintained. Good luck on the track!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Your car has a redline for a reason. If there was danger in high-revving your engine, dropping the clutch, burning out, and pushing the car to its limits, YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO IT. Cars are made to do these things (occasionally, of course)!. If (god forbid) you damaged your car, its because you did something wrong, not because the car cant handle it. GO AND HAVE FUN!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
My MR Fit Sport is an AT so I don't have to worry about the clutch. I feel really good driving the Fit and with its great handling and steering don't see any problem there. Thanks for your input - I am still at 30% with my oil so I estimate that I will be ready for the first oil change sometime in March - God I've own the car for a year in May and still haven't had the first oil change yet ! Of course I am only a few miles from work and back so that has the mileage low and I never take any long trips. I have about 4800 miles on it so far.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hey cat,

I'd have to disagree with that comment about using high octane gas in your car. use the regular octane.

As for whether or not you should race your car, it's totally up to you. It would definitely be a fun experience, and your first time on the track you might get butterflies in your stomach and a rush of adrenaline, it's really something you should experience if you're willing to. as for the safety of your car; yes you definitely are running a higher risk of damaging something when you race your car, but like you said, you take good care of your car. so letting loose on it once in a while will not be hurting it as much as some people who don't take care of their cars or thrash on it daily. in summary, you do have a higher risk of hurting the car, but it is so low that it can be practically guaranteed that nothing bad will come out of a day at the track.

If you decide to do it, have fun and don't worry! and make sure you know the rules and the procedure before you race, some tracks aren't very good at explaining things to the drivers, but you will be with friends so i'm sure they'll help you out if you have any questions.

Last edited by doctordoom; 02-16-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
There is Νο problem.I have take part in 3 trucks and i hadnt any problem.
And my car is stock.I have only an K&N intake.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
you should be perfectly fine....
Actually since you have the sport AT you can just leave it in "S" mode and floor it! It will automatically shift for you at a higher RPM than regular D mode. From what I have heard. I know TOOL knows more about it than I do though (I have an MT)
-just make sure you do a thorough inspection of your car before hand...and enjoy!

uhhh dont crash! (that would be an easy way of damaging your ride )

you will probably really enjoy it too, and best part is you will end up knowing more about your car in the process (which is always usefull, with regards to limits and sounds and such)

DOOO IT...DOOO IT....DOOO IT....HAAHAA

If you choose to do it though you might be like this guy > < and will be anxious to do again...heehee

Old 02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Snap Fit... love the smiley guys! lol totaly how i am! and Fit on a track should be fine... i am no gentle on my car on the street and the car is fine, just go and have fun! i wish i had the opportunity to get on a track!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Per everyone above, go for it! The car will be perfectly fine and you will have a great time. I took mine out autox'ing last summer and had a blast, and plan to again this season as well as a track day or two if money permits. It was an awesome experience and the car was completely fine. You will be amazed at what the little guy can do, trust me.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Dont change anything. Dont change the oil (unless it needs it) and DO NOT run higher octain gas. It wont do anything.

The day before and on the way to the track beat on the car a little. While cruising mash the gas and make it down shift. Also take the car to redline a few times from stop lights. It puts the ECU into a higher performance mode. It wont be stuck in econo mode

When you get to the track avoid the water box. Its a dip that water runs threw way before the stagging tree. Its for cars with slicks/drag radials. Gets them slippery to prevent breaking axles and rear ends when doing burnouts.

AVOID the box. Drive around it and stage.
When youre stagged and ready to go. Hold the brake firmly and mash the gas at the same time. This will bring the RPMs up without the car moving. Yes its going to sound a little harsh on the car but a few times wont hurt the trans. On the last yellow light release the brake while still on the gas.

Should give some decent 60foots. And of course, S mode it.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Moved to Fit Racing.

The Fit is NOT a track car stock. Especially not the AT. BUT you can still have fun and it is a Honda and they love to rev. So yeah i would go do it! If your going to do it regulary i recommend the KW supercharger.

Tyler

Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
^ true but if you doing it for fun, just do it. even if you have a fast car you wont do good if you dont know how to stage and launch

Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
you should be perfectly fine....
Actually since you have the sport AT you can just leave it in "S" mode and floor it! It will automatically shift for you at a higher RPM than regular D mode. From what I have heard. I know TOOL knows more about it than I do though (I have an MT)
-just make sure you do a thorough inspection of your car before hand...and enjoy!

uhhh dont crash! (that would be an easy way of damaging your ride )

you will probably really enjoy it too, and best part is you will end up knowing more about your car in the process (which is always usefull, with regards to limits and sounds and such)

DOOO IT...DOOO IT....DOOO IT....HAAHAA

If you choose to do it though you might be like this guy > < and will be anxious to do again...heehee
Yes as Snap mentioned. If you do end up on the track with your Fit. Throw it in S and dont touch a paddle. Much faster then fumbling with the paddles around tight turns, plus the tranny is pretty smart and keeps you in the sweet VTEC range. Done this a few times on some canyon roads.

Tyler

Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
don't do a thing. just show up and drive and have fun.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Cat,
This being a 1/4 mile, we are talking dragstrip, right? I know we are, but I think some others are picturing a different type of racing.
Regardless, I must agree with the others. Use S mode, don't paddle-shift, have fun.
IMPORTANT: Don't shift in S mode while staging. You will bounce off the rev-limiter when first gear winds out. Instead, get staged without ever touching a paddle. Or get staged in D mode, and then shift to S when you're stopped, waiting to race.
My AT Fit will not beat a school bus off the line, but it should be fun anyway. Wish I was in WV, I'd like to have a chance to race 2 stock AT Fits!
Good luck!

PS: You need to drive more. It isn't good for your car to just make short hops; that's why it's recommended that you change your oil every 6 months if you haven't put many miles on the car. Oil gets moisture / condensation that will only begin to evaporate when the engine is up to normal temp. Plus, it would make me feel better, since my car arrived last March too, and it has over 30,000 miles now.

Last edited by Steeldog; 02-17-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Pee Ess
Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Cat
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Hey Cat,
This being a 1/4 mile, we are talking dragstrip, right? I know we are, but I think some others are picturing a different type of racing.
Regardless, I must agree with the others. Use S mode, don't paddle-shift, have fun.
IMPORTANT: Don't shift in S mode while staging. You will bounce off the rev-limiter when first gear winds out. Instead, get staged without ever touching a paddle. Or get staged in D mode, and then shift to S when you're stopped, waiting to race.
My AT Fit will not beat a school bus off the line, but it should be fun anyway. Wish I was in WV, I'd like to have a chance to race 2 stock AT Fits!
Good luck!

PS: You need to drive more. It isn't good for your car to just make short hops; that's why it's recommended that you change your oil every 6 months if you haven't put many miles on the car. Oil gets moisture / condensation that will only begin to evaporate when the engine is up to normal temp. Plus, it would make me feel better, since my car arrived last March too, and it has over 30,000 miles now.
Hey Steeldog - thanks for the information - I asked the dealership about the oil change when I had the car in for the wire harness recall and they felt I needed to wait to get it at 10% but I have to say that I felt that it should be changed just like you said - I always changed my oil with the old Ford every 3 to 4 thousand and never had a day of trouble with that truck in 11 years. Since I am the only Fit in the club the guys want to see it on the track and yes it is a drag strip - the local police sponsor the racing event and those cars are all fast - I will have to find someplace to practice getting the car set up and taking off a few times if I plan to do this. Plenty of places around here to do that without any traffic. I will take your advise and start taking the car out for long trips on the weekends and try to get that mileage up. Sounds like your Fit has seen a lot of the world and mine is a home body! LOL Thanks to all you guys for the information and your voices of experience! I can always count on fellow Fit Freaks to help me out!

Last edited by Cat; 02-17-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Good luck!
Thats why I suggest a slight powerbrake move. Itll help the car leave the line quicker.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey lady! Wanna race? Wish I lived closer to you, maybe I'd join you (or race you......and WIN!!!! (Are you inspired yet?) We could start the Women's Geriatric Fit Racing Club!
Or better yet, the Middle Aged Fit Racers Without Dicks!!
(Actually, that's kind of sad) Sorry, gotta do something to keep my mind sharp.

Do it girlfriend!! Then you can teach me. 'Grand Prix' was one of my favorite movies as a kid (about 10 years old). My dad took me to it at the Hollywood Theater in Portland Oregon where it was a partial wrap-around screen. It was awesome!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
That's right

Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Thats why I suggest a slight powerbrake move. Itll help the car leave the line quicker.
That's for sure. I do it occasionally myself, when I need to beat someone else away from a traffic light. It'd be nice to have more torque, huh?

Quick Reply: The stock Fit on the track