Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Autocross 2/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skimmer
Well I'm eating some crow. I consulted some of the gurus in my autocross region and you guys are right: removing a flimsy decorative plastic grille is not considered legal in Stock classes. So it's going back on. A strict reading of the rulebook would suggest otherwise. Maybe next time SCCA should hire an English major to write rules that require a little less guesswork.
Don't feel bad, that is what you get when you have rules written by committees. At least they aren't as complex as the IRS Tax books, or we would have no idea what was legal or not.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
this weekend will be my first autox with the crash bolts! i'm excited!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
greenville run #4

second in my street tire paxed class out of nine...48.5s, ftd: ~44s

course was set up more biased towards more powerful cars...my fit was gimp today.

crash bolts! car can rotate now with just lifting. camber also allowed for lower front tire pressures which means more grip in the front which means more rotating! F:46psi, R:50psi.

now...if i just had some tires...

Last edited by sl0wp0k3; 04-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Congrats! Glad you like the camber results! It's a world of difference. I forget what tires you're running, but you might consider even lower pressures in front. I'm on R-comps and found something near 35 to be pretty good, but not sure how that translates to a 'street tire.'

Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
OE tires means i have to run higher pressures or sidewalls will roll over and die. higher pressures also make the tires stiffer for better steering response

Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
i am completely underwhelmed by my car's abilities now...especially when the courses need lots of acceleration...sigh...and wheel hop is completely annoying...whine whine whine...

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by sl0wp0k3
i am completely underwhelmed by my car's abilities now...especially when the courses need lots of acceleration...sigh...and wheel hop is completely annoying...whine whine whine...
Don't give up yet. You need real tires. The OEM tires are designed for fuel economy, not cornering.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skimmer
Don't give up yet. You need real tires. The OEM tires are designed for fuel economy, not cornering.
doesn't matter...i need power

Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Going to my first official Autocross event on the 17th, I am pretty excited

Everything I have done so far has been pretty laid back public events and just for fun. No rules or classes, just basically getting a time.

This is still for fun, I am mostly getting my feet wet in the sport. Not to mention I am pretty sure my car doesn't even come close to meeting the stock category

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Here are some pics of my first ever auto-x:

Sooooo much body roll!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Nice pics!

So my car is entered as an FSP class, although I am not sure if it should be an STS

Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Sugar: What mods on your car?

Swimmer: Nice pix! What tire pressures were you running? The fourth one shows the need for more negative camber (outside front wheel)!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
The usual stuff .... lol

Everything I can think that directly affects performance;

195/40/R17 Tires (+45 offset rims), Stiffer springs, Stainless brake lines, upgraded brake pads, C-pillar and tower strut (2 point), stiffer sway bar, Header, Exhaust, CAI, Intake Manifold and a Greddy Engine management computer.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
Good stuff guys!!

I will be entering my fit this sunday in its(and mine)'s first auto x

wish me luck!

my mods are intake,axleback,df210 springs,16x7 wheels,205.45.16 Ziex 912s(rubbish),and progress rsb :wave:

Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sweet, I am famous now

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-22-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Slopoke: Get rid of the understeer by disconnecting the antisway bar on the drivers side by removing the link (reduces weight ion same side as driver). OK so its distant minor but it all counts.
Out of curiosity what's in your class.?

PS you always need higher pressures for A/X due to the sharp turns. generally you will need to have tires very near if not over upper pressure range stated on the tire. That is amended for handling corrections such as higher rear pressures in rear than front to reduce understeer on a Fit. Deactivating the front antisway bar means more equalized pressues and better handlimng. If your Fit is like mine thats all you've got going for you.

Last edited by mahout; 05-24-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
The usual stuff .... lol

Everything I can think that directly affects performance;

195/40/R17 Tires (+45 offset rims), Stiffer springs, Stainless brake lines, upgraded brake pads, C-pillar and tower strut (2 point), stiffer sway bar, Header, Exhaust, CAI, Intake Manifold and a Greddy Engine management computer.
Good setup. But I still think you'll do better with less front antisway bar even to none at all. Tire selection is excellent by our standards; what brand? I think we'll try the track again with 195/40x17's Yoko Sdrives from disconttiredirect.com. They should be at least equivalent to the Nitto's we have.

What's in your class and how well do you do?
It's hard for me to even consider a Fit as an autocrosser based on my race track runs. Handles very well but I have time to eat lunch on the straights. The 195's smaller diameter (23.14 vs 23.45) just might be the ticket.
cheers.

Last edited by mahout; 05-24-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Slopoke: Get rid of the understeer by disconnecting the antisway bar on the drivers side by removing the link (reduces weight ion same side as driver). OK so its distant minor but it all counts.
Out of curiosity what's in your class.?

PS you always need higher pressures for A/X due to the sharp turns. generally you will need to have tires very near if not over upper pressure range stated on the tire. That is amended for handling corrections such as higher rear pressures in rear than front to reduce understeer on a Fit. Deactivating the front antisway bar means more equalized pressues and better handlimng. If your Fit is like mine thats all you've got going for you.
the fit is h-stock, which includes mazda3 (not mazdaspeed), mini cooper (not s), corolla, saturn sc2, civic (certain year si's included), vw rabbit...you can look on the scca site for the full list.
the class i run with my club is a 'street tire' paxed class, which includes all cars in classes that are allowed to run on r-comps, but are running on street tires

i do run different pressures if you read my posts...but these pressures should only be good for the all-seasons, the better tires like dunlop direzza sport z1 star spec or similar will have stiffer sidewalls which allow for more grip at lower pressures without rolling on its sidewalls.

you're talking to the wrong guy if you want me to take out front sway...i'm way too lazy to do anything like that to my car...and what's the point in further prepping my car if i'm never going to fully prep it? it's pointless i'm there only to have fun and to embarrass people in faster cars. if i wanted to be nationally competitive, i can, i just need a car that is nationally competitive. right now i just don't have enough money to pursue this. i've driven in nationally prepped cars and paxed in the top 5 among other nationals level drivers, so given more seat time in the cars and more money, and nationals, here i come.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Here is my fun run times to give you an idea of how the car did.

Originally Posted by mahout
Good setup. But I still think you'll do better with less front antisway bar even to none at all. Tire selection is excellent by our standards; what brand? I think we'll try the track again with 195/40x17's Yoko Sdrives from disconttiredirect.com. They should be at least equivalent to the Nitto's we have.

What's in your class and how well do you do?
It's hard for me to even consider a Fit as an autocrosser based on my race track runs. Handles very well but I have time to eat lunch on the straights. The 195's smaller diameter (23.14 vs 23.45) just might be the ticket.
cheers.
-I find the car has much less body roll than last year with the front sway bar and tower strut. I need to dial in my PSI next time more closely though to get rid of some of the understeer it produces. Overall I was really happy with how it bit into the corners this year.

-I am running Continental Contisportcontact2's

-I am novice, FSP... I think I do ok I think I could cut at least another 2 seconds off that time with some more practice.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-26-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Autocross 2/10