Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Tires for stock-class auto-x...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
I have the Falken RT615 in 205/50 15 both front and rear on the stock rims. The new version of the RT615 is slightly wider than the old in the same 205/50 15 size and will not fit at all in the rear. When I bolted the wheel on it is tight up against the shock and the wheel will not rotate. I am using the Monroe airshocks which are larger in diameter than stock( I think) so if you are stock in the rear you may not have an issue. In the front they fit no problem so I have a set of the old narrower tires in the rear and the new wide tires in the front. Handles like a go cart. When they wear out I will have to rethink the setup. Definitely unbolt both sides of the front swaybar before the race. It may bang around a little so don't be alarmed by the noise. I ran something like 32 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. Made the care VERY VERY loose in the rear but was a blast to drive. Only on three wheels in every corner. I almost flipped it at one event getting the passenger side about 3 feet in the air. In the mean time i've moved on from autoxing the Fit(due to the previous sentence and winning H stock for the season here in SC)and have a set of the Saturn rims if you are interested make me any reasonable offer and they are yours. Have fun.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dj_oatmeal
I have the Falken RT615 in 205/50 15 both front and rear on the stock rims. The new version of the RT615 is slightly wider than the old in the same 205/50 15 size and will not fit at all in the rear. When I bolted the wheel on it is tight up against the shock and the wheel will not rotate. I am using the Monroe airshocks which are larger in diameter than stock( I think) so if you are stock in the rear you may not have an issue. In the front they fit no problem so I have a set of the old narrower tires in the rear and the new wide tires in the front. Handles like a go cart. When they wear out I will have to rethink the setup. Definitely unbolt both sides of the front swaybar before the race. It may bang around a little so don't be alarmed by the noise. I ran something like 32 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. Made the care VERY VERY loose in the rear but was a blast to drive. Only on three wheels in every corner. I almost flipped it at one event getting the passenger side about 3 feet in the air. In the mean time i've moved on from autoxing the Fit(due to the previous sentence and winning H stock for the season here in SC)and have a set of the Saturn rims if you are interested make me any reasonable offer and they are yours. Have fun.
Awesome information, thanks!

I actually was just looking at some sawtooths last night. The shipping cost to me would probably get me pretty good would be my only thought.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Just as another data point, I have a set of Yokohama S-Drives in 205/50 on my all-stock-suspension now, and have found no issues with the size yet. Can't say I've seen everything you'd see in a tight autoX, but no rubbing or anything in large fast compressions or long tight turns. Not max effort like the 615's, but have an 8.4" section with a 7.4" tread.

Clair

Old 08-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Excellent thread. Thanks. Used Conti Extreme dw's last auto x with the stock Dunlop 7000's in the rear. Car rotates well off throttle. The tire joint we use couldn't get these Conti's balanced and were switching to Star Specs up front. SPC camber bolts in top mount location. Adding 2 more in lower position for next event along with Progress sway bar. Fits fun. Very competitive in our 4 cyl. class.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 AM
etf
5 Year Member
I was looking at the results from last years SCCA Solo National Championship event:
There were 25 competitors in H-Stock. 23 out of 25 were on Hoosiers. In H-Stock - Ladies, 5 out of 5 were on Hoosiers.
I think it's pretty obvious what the best tire is if you are serious.

But then, most of us are not serious about auto-xing, we're just out to have fun.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by etf
I think it's pretty obvious what the best tire is if you are serious.

But then, most of us are not serious about auto-xing, we're just out to have fun.

Sure!!!!!! I think for real fun the new ST(F) FWD class will be fun as many good and reasonable modes can be made that will be fun to have on a daily ride basis.. H-Stock is fun but I think STF will be better..

Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrFroge

Sure!!!!!! I think for real fun the new ST(F) FWD class will be fun as many good and reasonable modes can be made that will be fun to have on a daily ride basis.. H-Stock is fun but I think STF will be better..
So far I am having GREAT fun in STF. I'm still learning the ropes though but I have placed first twice now in Novice ST rankings for my region so I must be doing something right!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
So far I am having GREAT fun in STF. I'm still learning the ropes though but I have placed first twice now in Novice ST rankings for my region so I must be doing something right!
Have you been runnig in SFR's Novice competition? BTW Congratulations!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrFroge
Have you been runnig in SFR's Novice competition? BTW Congratulations!!
Yep, been running in NS-STF SFR's novice street tire class. The PAX for STF is SO soft that ii think its whats kept me placing.

I would love to pick your brain on a few things though, should we move this to PMs so as to not clutter the thread?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
That works for me, but I'll be out of the office most of the day.. Will get back ASAP..

Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Clutter the thread. Others want to learn as well.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Smile clutter.. clutter ..

I have been running the Fit in H-stock since 2007 with reasonable success.. Winning the last two SCCA Northern Pacific Divisional H-Stock Championship series (2009 & 2011); a HS Championship in the SFR 2007 winter "Slush Series" event; a first at the SCCA Fresno 2008 Championship series; and the 2009 SFR Divisional HS Championship (though I drove a Mazda-3 for that). These results are from more persistence and luck than skill. Because of an illness that started in April of 2010, I have not driven in competition since June of 2011.

I'm currently planning to return to competition shortly in either H-Stock or the new STF class. I'll make up my mind later if I can afford to through a lot of money into making the Fit competitive for the new class.. or stay in HS and see if I can hone my skills and make the Minis, Focus and Mazda drivers sweat.

If I were to run in ST-F, I would like to run a set of O.Z. Superleggera 17" wheels with the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2's (the fattest tire that will fit). I'll be doing testing of some combinations soon. If I stay in H-S, then it will be a combination of BF-G's R1 compounds on the front and the either the same tire for the rear, or Kuhmo's Ecsta depending on the event surface.. I'll be using an obsolete Tire Rack "Sport" light-weight rim for all my H-Stock entries..