Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

2007 Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM
2007 Chicago Auto Show

Hello FitFreaks,
One of our members ichthus will be reporting on the events and happenings at the 2007 Chicago Auto show.

Also at the show, MotorWeek named the Honda Fit the "Best Small Car" and "Best of the Year" in their annual Drivers Choice Awards.

This thread will be updated with more information and pictures from the Show.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Overall impression from Day One? Eh...I guess it's been ok so far, though it seems the budget might have been a touch low. And there are no scheduled press conferences for Honda/Acura. Next year is the 100th show, so perhaps they're taking it easy for 2007.

Because I'll be back on the train for my ride to the show by 5:30am, I'm going to keep my post on the short side for tonight...but the big news for us is above: Honda Fit is Motorweek's Driver's Choice Award Best of the Year and Best Small Car. The Honda Rep wouldn't give me any news about the next generation car, but did remind me that the Fit is finishing it's first year here in the US. Schmuck.

Other big news for us is the new competition: Saturn Astra 3 and 5 door models. Car looks great, should perform well and seems pretty spacious (in 5 door trim). Basically it's an Opel Astra with some badge engineering and US certification.

Tomorrow morning Toyota will unveil the new Xb and all new Xd.

ok, time for some sleep and I'll give ya more tomorrow!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
wow...so I came back from the show and haven't had a free moment since. You'd think with below zero temps in the Chicago area that fewer people would be wanting to strap themselves into a little Cessna for another flight lesson...but we've been crazy busy.

The Devil is in the details. An old cliche that seems to have finally struck a chord with our automobile manufacturers, and it made for an impressive show, even for an "off-year". Most here have first hand experience with Honda, and if lucky, with the Fit in particular. You know that Honda pays attention to details; it's why they have long been known for great reliability, class-leading ergonomics, fantastic build quality, and innovation. I spent a significant amount of time pouring over the details in the Fit, and realized that it is, indeed, a fantastic car...but one that is certainly ready for Honda to take it to the next level.

Let's turn to an unlikely source for a perfect evaluation of today's American society. Ford. It seems that Ford marketing gurus have coined a phrase that should usher us into the next decade: Simplexity. You see, we crave and love the Simplicity of products such as the iPod. Easy to use, small, reliable, versatile, and cool. At the same time we take advantage of the Complex 8000+ Starbucks in the US to create "our" perfect drink from among the over 87,000 options available.

Maybe it's just me...but this seems to sum up all I want in life. Simplexity. Make my life simple and complex: completely personal. Venti 9-pump, non-fat, no water, easy-foam Tazo Chai latte.

Bob Lutz has truly turned GM around. By Fall Saturn showrooms will be less than 20 months old...the Sky being the oldest model on the floor. Our biggest trouble will come from the great-looking new 3 and 5 door Astra. Pontiac unveiled the all new G8 full-size sedan; a direct attack against the Charger with over 360hp available from a 6.0L V8. For once you could consider "interior design" as a strong point for new GM products, with two-tone leather seats, great looking dash/instrument panels, and quality materials (in some vehicles).

Chrysler, on the other hand, could use help with their interiors. Initial appearances give me the impression of an attempt to merge industrial with down-home-country. You sit down to be greated with nice soft earthy tones in hard, edgy, uncomfortable plastics. The new Avenger has a striking exterior, easily just as "attractive" as the larger Charger. The new Dodge Dakota seems to take things back a bit to the pre-Ram days of Dakota design...and it works. Without question, the most impressive showings from Chrysler was the Nausau concept unveiled at Detroit. A psuedo-hatchbacky take on the increasingly popular "luxury sport 4-door coupe" genra invented by the Mercedes CLS. Smooth. You need say no more about the car, really. Inside and out it's just smooth. Though it's unlikely to see production, I could see the car finding success in both luxury and SRT8 versions. The new Wrangler Unlimited is the one place where an edgy interior really works and I like it. It'll be tough to convince my fiance to go with a manual tranny, but I've just about got her sold on the 4-doors.

While Ford should be on track with Allen Mullaly heading up the company, there will have to be a shift in their vehicle concepts. Over the past decade or so Ford displays have been great...but then they keep sending us cars like the 500 and mildly updated Focus models. With the re-introduction of the Taurus nameplate (freshened 500 with new 260hp V6) and Taurus X (freshened Freestyle) along with the Sable name for the new Mercury Montego it seems that Ford will at least have a little name recognition back. 3 and 5-door Focus models are dead, in an incredibly short-sighted move by Ford (likely made before Mullaly came in), replaced by a new coupe only. The Interceptor concept NEEDS to see production, but perhaps with a little Mustang style to differentiate it from the Chrysler 300C to which it will most often be compared.